Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Banned

Default Ever wish you had another 4"

I did.

I bought a new bow and after shooting it for a while with a 6" stabilizer it felt like it needed the weight further out. I had a length of solid aluminum rod kicking around so I cut a 4" piece off and started working on it. I drilled a 1/4" hole down the center of it, then another five 1/2" holes through it to shave a bit more weight off of it. It weighed in at exactly 5oz on the nose. I tapped the hole to accept the same threads that were on my trophy ridge stabilizer and used the weights from the same stabilizer to screw on the end. The balance feels perfect now, I can't wait to try it out.

I can stabilizers from 2" to 8' long out of this stuff if I want!

Old 03-09-2016, 12:14 AM

That looks awesome. Nice project
The bow and all looks pretty amazing too. Would love to try an obsession one day, when I'm prepared to part with the cash with reckless abandon
Old 03-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Banned

Good job , looks like something I'd do, I'm always afro engineering my stuff too so it works for me. I bet you'll get a few double looks when people see your stabilizer lol
Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 AM

Damn...wish I had the capabilities to do work like that! Great job...looks totally professional!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 03-09-2016, 07:57 AM

Looks mean like a tac gun silencer/flash hider...good job

Neil
Old 03-09-2016, 08:28 AM

When I saw the title of this thread, the LAST thing that came to mind was a stabilizer.
Good job though . Looks really good and nicely done.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

Thanks guys. I don't have a hard time spending my money, but if it's something as basic as an extension for my stabilizer, I'd just as soon make something myself. I have a hard time spending money on a stabilizer let alone an extension. I might make my entire stabilizer out of this aluminum, I think it looks better than the trophy ridge I paid $50 for!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgsgw View Post
Good job , looks like something I'd do, I'm always afro engineering my stuff too so it works for me. I bet you'll get a few double looks when people see your stabilizer lol
Never heard it put that way before

To the op, that is a nice stabiliser!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:09 AM

How you like the Obsession?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
How you like the Obsession?
It's a real nice bow. Fast, quiet, dead at the shot, very smooth draw with a valley similar to the elite, you almost have to push start the dam thing to set it off. The worst part about the obsession is trying to pick a color or camo pattern, it seems like they offer everything imaginable. Honestly the nicest bow I've shot to date. I've been playing around with my stabilizer to find the perfect balance, so far it likes none! I've found my groups are as good or even better with no stabilizer at all on there. Having a sight that weighs just under a pound might have something to do with it too though.

If you want we can meet up and you can try it out, it's set at 29" draw.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It's a real nice bow. Fast, quiet, dead at the shot, very smooth draw with a valley similar to the elite, you almost have to push start the dam thing to set it off. The worst part about the obsession is trying to pick a color or camo pattern, it seems like they offer everything imaginable. Honestly the nicest bow I've shot to date. I've been playing around with my stabilizer to find the perfect balance, so far it likes none! I've found my groups are as good or even better with no stabilizer at all on there. Having a sight that weighs just under a pound might have something to do with it too though.

If you want we can meet up and you can try it out, it's set at 29" draw.
Nice!
I might have too!!
The grip looks very much like the elite too.

We might just have too meet up. I regretfully haven't even shot my bow since I killed a deer on Nov 29th. and have a new sight I want to set up on my "blind bow"
Old 03-17-2016, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Nice!
I might have too!!
The grip looks very much like the elite too.

We might just have too meet up. I regretfully haven't even shot my bow since I killed a deer on Nov 29th. and have a new sight I want to set up on my "blind bow"
I'm the same way. Usually right after hunting season I get the itch for a new rifle or load tuning so I'm all about guns and bullets until around this time of year when the snow starts melting I get the itch for a new bow, so I buy a bow and shoot it until the ice comes off the lakes, then I fish until the nights start getting longer and cooler near the end of August, then I pick up my bow and start shooting again. October 31 rolls around, the bow goes in the closet, I grab my rifle and the cycle continues.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I'm the same way. Usually right after hunting season I get the itch for a new rifle or load tuning so I'm all about guns and bullets until around this time of year when the snow starts melting I get the itch for a new bow, so I buy a bow and shoot it until the ice comes off the lakes, then I fish until the nights start getting longer and cooler near the end of August, then I pick up my bow and start shooting again. October 31 rolls around, the bow goes in the closet, I grab my rifle and the cycle continues.
Sounds about right to me I will start shooting here soon as my winters are all about ice fishing ....might get in a couple fun 3d shoots through the late spring and summer.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Banned

I took all the weight off and had great results with this bow.

40yds

80yds

Old 03-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Banned

Nice, I think when I'm due for an upgrade I'm gonna have to take a hard look at obsession. Everyone seems to love them.