Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2016, 09:28 PM

Default Shot my first pistol ever.

Visiting friends in San Diego and we went to a shooting range for the first time ever for my wife and I. She shot a 9mm and I shot a .357 revolver. Had a blast!!
This is my target at 15 yards. Will definitely go again.

20160321_201833.jpg
Old 03-21-2016, 09:56 PM

Default Pistol

Fun huh?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:11 PM

Welcome to the Club Dave....it is a lot of fun. I always enjoy taking people to the range who have never shot handguns before, probably a couple dozen in the last six years. Converted a few people to the idea that they are perfectly safe tools in the hands of trained people. If you're ever up this way, I'd be happy to take you for your next outing. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-21-2016, 11:06 PM

Yes, it was SO much fun. I've never been afraid of guns or anti guns in any way...I've always wanted to shoot them, just was never around them much. I've shot hunting rifles and shotguns but never a hand gun. My wife used to be "all guns are bad" but she absolutely loved this!!! She even fired the .357! I wished I had video'd her first shot!! It was so funny. Even the guy beside us was laughing. But she hit her target!! And didn't even drop the gun!!
My buddy has a semi auto .45. Wow what a canon!
It's a great social outing!! Our 21 year old fired the 9mm and he had a huge smile on his face.
It gave me a whole new respect for them though. Loved it.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
My wife used to be "all guns are bad" but she absolutely loved this!!!
That's great. I suspect alot if not most of the "anti's" would feel the same if they ever tried it in a safe and controlled environment. Sadly though most will believe everything they hear on the 6'oclock news and, well, guns are bad cause the media says so
Old 03-21-2016, 11:27 PM
Banned

GF had her first go at shooting firearms last year, and loved it. Started her off on a 22, moved up to a 308 and a few others. Even got to shoot an old Enfield 303, frightened the carp out of her.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 AM

My son Ethan , is a range officer ( has been for about 2 1/2 yrs now ) at the Calgary Shooting Center , and of course loves it . Something about getting paid to shoot

He says that you and your wife's reactions are pretty much the norm .

Getting physically hands on in a safe controlled environment , and being able to focus on the firearm and not the fear , usually puts a pretty big grin on the face of first time shooters .

He says that , for him , that's one of the better parts of the job .
Old 03-22-2016, 08:08 AM

The first thing that most people notice, is that it isn't as easy to hit anything with a handgun, as it looks in the movies.At 25 yards, many people have trouble just hitting a standard sized target paper, let alone the target printed on it.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The first thing that most people notice, is that it isn't as easy to hit anything with a handgun, as it looks in the movies.At 25 yards, many people have trouble just hitting a standard sized target paper, let alone the target printed on it.
I surprised myself at this. I didn't think I'd even come close. This range only went to 15 yeards. I imagine another 10 yards would be a whole new ballgame. But at 15 yeards, I only missed my my target once. 2/3 on a headshot. And then for centre mass I hit 3 dead on and 5 on shoulder and groin area.

Using the 9mm, at 15 yards I could pretty much hit dead on. On my Zombie-man target I nailed him between the eyes and grouped 5 shots all within a 5 inch area around his heart. (Why am I shooting at a Zombie's Heart ) lol.

So umm.....whats the procedure to get a handgun in Canada??
  1. Apply for your RPAL. (is that difficult? No record, no felonies, clean abstract)
  2. Join a gun range.
  3. Let LE know my route to the range anytime I want to go shooting

What else am I forgetting?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I surprised myself at this. I didn't think I'd even come close. This range only went to 15 yeards. I imagine another 10 yards would be a whole new ballgame. But at 15 yeards, I only missed my my target once. 2/3 on a headshot. And then for centre mass I hit 3 dead on and 5 on shoulder and groin area.

Using the 9mm, at 15 yards I could pretty much hit dead on. On my Zombie-man target I nailed him between the eyes and grouped 5 shots all within a 5 inch area around his heart. (Why am I shooting at a Zombie's Heart ) lol.

1. Apply for your RPAL. (is that difficult? No record, no felonies, clean abstract)
  2. Join a gun range.

\

Get your RPAL, then get your range membership, and purchase the firearm. If that moron Turdeau, and his RCMP henchmen don't mess with the new common sense firearms laws,you may not need an LTATT. In any case, you don't have to tell anyone when you are going to the range, and you don't have to give them your route to the range. Personally, I would recommend a 22lr for your first handgun, you will only be shooting targets, so a larger bullet means little, and they are much cheaper to shoot. And yes, the difference between 15 yards and 25 yards is very significant when shooting a handgun. It takes a decent shooter to keep all of his shots in a pie plate at 25 yards.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:36 AM

Take your restricted course(1day), pass(everyone does), send in application, wait, join club while waiting, enjoy.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:

2. Join a gun range.

Have you taken your firearms training courses?

RPAL is easy to get, have your references call in after you have done your interview.

Make sure to get your short term ATT to take gun from store to home, then get a long term ATT to take gun shooting, which is where you need to show proof of gun range membership/

The CFO for Alberta "usually" makes your LT ATT for to take restricted firearms from your house/storage place to any registered gun range, gunsmith and any international or provincial border crossings.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:09 AM

An ATT is now a condition of a Rpal. No need to get a statt.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
An ATT is now a condition of a Rpal. No need to get a statt.
To add a little bit to smokingyotes info; hit the link and scroll dow a bit...
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/n...015-09-eng.htm
Old 03-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Banned

My wife rarely shoots but is a crack shot with handguns, much better than I am no doubt