Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2016, 06:49 AM

Default Went exploring and found a cave

When it warms up we are going to go back. I'm not sure if this is a cave or if it's a spring. It looks like it goes way back in to the bank. Me and my wife also took the kids out detecting and found some pretty neat stuff on camera. I was trying out a new waterproof camera (although it was too cold for water shots) and I must say, it's not as great as my wife's Canon. If you are looking for a video camera that is waterproof, let me know and I'll give the information on the camera I used. I chose this camera over a gopro due to audio reasons. This camera doesn't have to go into a dry box and the audio is not hindered.
https://youtu.be/ycb6ONXvl4c
Old 03-08-2016, 02:42 PM

Cool video, looks like a fun day out and hopefully there will be something good in that cave.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
Cool video, looks like a fun day out and hopefully there will be something good in that cave.
Yeah I can't wait to get back. It just needs to warm up a bit more.
Thanks for watching!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:19 PM

Definitely a cave, or what we used to call cave-ish, which really is the same thing as a karst spring.

If there is fish, it probably means it is active (running water from somewhere) and may likely join up to any creeks or rivers in the nearby proximity.

If it is your land, and you want it explored, you can get in touch with your local "Grotto" of the National Speleological Society (NSS) - the US caving Society. and they are very respectful and keep locations secret. However... the best way to keep a secret is to not tell anyone, so don't go the NSS route.

Be very careful, as 'virgin' caves can have a lot of loose rock on the walls and ceiling, where boulders just get delicately left by erosion/water, and these things can get disloidged just by bumping them. If you go in, be very cautious the first few times, and look closely for loose rubble, especially on the roof. Either knock it down, or back out slow.

Best advice for exploring is to actually join the NSS (even if you don't tell them about your cave), and learn from the experts. It's not a thing you want to learn by trial and error.

There are many divers in the NSS (and Canada) who would jump at the chance to take their scuba gear into that hole with a drysuit and a rebreather!

All in all, a very cool find.

Last edited by bergman; 03-18-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntinghippie View Post
When it warms up we are going to go back. I'm not sure if this is a cave or if it's a spring. It looks like it goes way back in to the bank. Me and my wife also took the kids out detecting and found some pretty neat stuff on camera. I was trying out a new waterproof camera (although it was too cold for water shots) and I must say, it's not as great as my wife's Canon. If you are looking for a video camera that is waterproof, let me know and I'll give the information on the camera I used. I chose this camera over a gopro due to audio reasons. This camera doesn't have to go into a dry box and the audio is not hindered.
https://youtu.be/ycb6ONXvl4c
MILLERS CAVE if you see Hank Snow say howdy