Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2016, 09:20 AM

Default Just Energy

Received the renewal notice from Just Energy. They are asking me to resign for a 5 year fixed rate for natural gas at $4.85 /GJ.
Anybody else out there getting the same rate or better? Or is that rate pretty standard.
Let me know your thoughts.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM

Think that's my rate with them too... I never want it to go back up to 14 like it did last winter for awhile.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:58 AM

Take it
Old 03-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Banned

Default Look at the competition

Personally I hate Just Energy as they are nothing but middlemen looking to make a huge profit.The company bought tons of gas futures when the price of natural gas cratered to $1.46 a gigajoule not to mention their electricity rates are atrocious.

The first time I dealt with Just Energy the rep asked to see my utility bills and he had the account numbers written down in a flash on the "price protection plan" he wanted me to sign.I took a look at the price of both gas and electricity and the cost was double what I was paying for gas and tenfold for electricity.

The rep tried to get the contact back off me and even went so far as to try and enter my home which did not go over well.Anytime a Just Energy rep knocks on my door I say "just a minute I have to go get a bucket of water" and he takes off real fast.

Check out Atco Energy as an alternative.The company just started selling natural gas and electricity again after a 10 non compete clause with Direct Energy.Considering Atco owns all of the gas lines in Alberta and most of the electricity generation/transmission you would think it would be cheaper.

FTH
Old 03-13-2016, 10:29 AM

They should change their name to "just energy and hidden fees". Not impressed and will be seeking alternatives.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:02 AM

I just switched to ATCO as FTH suggested. Locked electric in at 5.59 for one year $50 rebate. Chose the floating gas rate plus nominal 89 cents, I think.
Gas should stay the same for now. Can opt out anytime or lock in if rates look like an increase. Advisers said to lock in electric as it can change tomorrow so better to budget. Worth a look. Your decision but they are based in Alberta and that had the most bearing on my decision. Electric for two years goes up to 6+ and 3 yr goes up a bit more. You would get a 100 rebate and more on the anniversary. I am retired and do not work for ATCO.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
They should change their name to "just energy and hidden fees". Not impressed and will be seeking alternatives.
Please post back here with what you turn up.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:23 AM

I am going variable. It will be a long time before we see even $3.50
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-13-2016, 12:18 PM

I switched from just to direct. Same rate as op but the fees save me and average of $30 a month. With just I was paying more for fees and delivery charges than actual power and gas.

Got a nest smart thermostat with the deal too, which is nice.