Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Imperfect veggies

I am laughing at the new marketing ploy by superstore.
They are bringing out their new line of imperfect veggies and lowering the cost by 30%
But in the same breath they are raising costs of everything else.

Really like most of us who have had gardens in our lives havent seen a perfect tomato or pepper.
Shocking.
But reading some of the comments in the papers by other shoppers they are horrified that a grocer would dare sell some produce less than perfect shape and size.

Will you be shopping in the imperfect section?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:58 AM

Already have. Kinda figured it's a bit of a marketing ploy, but at the same time I'll take what ever savings I can get. Plus the amount of food thrown out because it isn't perfect is astounding.

The apples I bought were just smaller. Nothing else wrong. That's it. Hard to believe they would previously have been discarded.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
The apples I bought were just smaller. Nothing else wrong. That's it. Hard to believe they would previously have been discarded.
Not so much discarded as repurposed. All the odd shaped stuff goes into your canned goods and juices.

I do find it a little funny that people are thinking they it is less adequate food if it dosent look "perfect". Used to be fun digging up the carrots and seeing what kind of funny shapes they grew in.

Now they need one of these sections for meat. Cheep pork trimmings for sausages maybe they will even quit dying the meat red so it looks better.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

Default Check the doc film

Just eat it...

Food waste from silly cosmetic standards is rediculous and hurts the planet and your wallet.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:31 PM

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "imperfect", and what you will be using it for.

If it results in providing nutritious food to people with little money at a lower price, I'm all for it.

And here's the thing. If they put the bruised items in one bin and charge 30% less and put the "perfect" items in the other bin and charge 30% more, there's nothing stopping you from taking a pound from each bin and putting them in one bag, and paying the same combined price you used to.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I guess it all depends on what you mean by "imperfect", and what you will be using it for.

If it results in providing nutritious food to people with little money at a lower price, I'm all for it.

And here's the thing. If they put the bruised items in one bin and charge 30% less and put the "perfect" items in the other bin and charge 30% more, there's nothing stopping you from taking a pound from each bin and putting them in one bag, and paying the same combined price you used to.
Here's what I'm finding

http://calgarybuzz.com/2016/03/ugly-...-name-calgary/

Things come in bags ........... not like you can mix and match yourself.

They can be found here:

Naturally Imperfect produce at these Calgary-area stores:

Real Canadian Superstore

5251 Country Hills Blvd
100 Country Village Road
#100 20 Heritage Meadows Way SE
7020 4th Street NW
19655 Seton Way SE
#100 15915 Macleod Trail SE
5858 Signal Hill Centre SW
10505 Southport Road SW
3633 Westwinds Drive NE
3575 20th Avenue NE
Wholesale Club

222 58th Avenue SE
2928 23rd Street NE
No Frills

882 85th Street SW
4501 Temple Drive NE
4501 17th Avenue SE
BOX

10233 Elbow Drive SW
Old 03-04-2016, 02:01 PM

It all makes a turd.

BW
Old 03-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Banned

In case you haven't noticed our dollar has tanked over the past 12 months and the majority of our produce is from the USA, so of course prices are going to increase.

Selling this "blemished" produce is a win-win-win. We save money and less perfectly palatable produce goes to the landfill. Customers will still buy produce now as the savings negates the currency differential.

Why do you laugh at it? Sad you can find a negative side of everything.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:10 PM

Sometimes imperfect means it doesn't meet their size or shape criteria, seen fields in Ontario littered with perfectly good vegetables that didn't fit the wholesalers wants. Notice with the prices, a lot of fruits and vegetables are getting old on the shelf.

Grizz
Old 03-04-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Not so much discarded as repurposed. All the odd shaped stuff goes into your canned goods and juices.
NATGEO's latest mag shows up to 30% of produce grown world wide is discarded, not repurposed due too looks.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:17 PM

And if you shop Safeway and trend toward the lower priced Compliments brand, look to see how much your families sugar intake is increasing.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:50 PM

When I was in Africa, non of the fruits and vegetables looked as good as the ones purchased here in local stores but the flavours were so good and concentrate. Here a tomato looks nice and big bus barley has an favour.

And for sure there was no organic section as everything was organic.

Scrambled eggs tasted like nothing I had in my life and meats were full of flavour.

Now I am hungry.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
It all makes a turd.

BW
Well said sir
Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Banned

Old 03-05-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Sometimes imperfect means it doesn't meet their size or shape criteria, seen fields in Ontario littered with perfectly good vegetables that didn't fit the wholesalers wants. Notice with the prices, a lot of fruits and vegetables are getting old on the shelf.

Grizz
As a kid I used to pick in Ontario. We used to leave stuff in the fields.
As it wasn't wanted for stores but we could go back later and take it for personal use.
The ego's that everything must be perfect drives me bonkers.
But then hey what do I know I worked the hours in the fields, busting my behind to ensure that crops were planted, able to grow, weed free, picked and shipped.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:55 AM

Odd shapes and stuff is worth the cost savings but, if they sell stuff that is old then I have a problem with it. Like Bananas that turn black as soon as you get home, Tomatoes that turn soft and wrinkled in a day or two, letuce that is brown in the store, etc.. If those things happen then I won't be shopping there. I'm pretty sure they will start selling stuff like that.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:05 AM

Lol. Imperfect. I've been saying for the last couple of years the fruit in the stores up here looks like it should have been ground up for juice. Nothing like a heavily blemished orange with a tough skin for $1.50 each.
Strictly a marketing ploy to get us to accept buying sub-standard produce for more than they could normally get for it.