Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2016, 12:43 PM

Default iphone as GPS / navigation

Hi, there seems a lot of apps available to cache maps to the phone and use the in-build GPS. My concern is the cold weather and battery on the iphone, as it seems to be very bad if its cold (iphone 6s). I hope to use this on my quad so can charge it but not sure if it'll help with the cold.
Has anyone used their iphone as a GPS? I'm always checking my location on the iHunter app which is great but want to expand on that capability now.
Thanks
Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 PM

I don't have an iPhone, but use the GPS in my Android phone while I'm out in the winter. Any screen will be slow/sluggish if kept outside in the cold, even while charging. The battery however should be full and not in issue while being plugged in to your ATV.

Gaia maps is an App that is free, or you can buy the pro version which will give you access to maps around the world, and at better resolution(quite often 1:20000 vs. 1:50000) There are several other apps out there that are free(Canada Topo, Canada Maps, etc.), try a few to see which one you like best.

I keep my phone in a jacket pocket which is near my body, in airplane mode to conserve battery juice, and I don't track my route which further drains the battery quicker. My phone is already 4 'models' old, but I still have at least 50% battery power at the end of the day with moderate GPS use.

In deeper canyons/valleys, or where your horizons are immediately obstructed by large terrain features, a phone GPS system may struggle as compared to a dedicated GPS instrument...

Last edited by Pdub; 02-16-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdub View Post
I don't have an iPhone, but use the GPS in my Android phone while I'm out in the winter. Any screen will be slow/sluggish if kept outside in the cold, even while charging. The battery however should be full and not in issue while being plugged in to your ATV.

Gaia maps is an App that is free, or you can buy the pro version which will give you access to maps around the world, and at better resolution(quite often 1:20000 vs. 1:50000) There are several other apps out there that are free(Canada Topo, Canada Maps, etc.), try a few to see which one you like best.

I keep my phone in a jacket pocket which is near my body, in airplane mode to conserve battery juice, and I don't track my route which further drains the battery quicker. My phone is already 4 'models' old, but I still have at least 50% battery power at the end of the day with moderate GPS use.

In deeper canyons/valleys, or where your horizons are immediately obstructed by large terrain features, a phone GPS system may struggle as compared to a dedicated GPS intrument...
I find the iPhone specifically. My 6 and 6s both will actually power down claiming a dead battery once the temperature of the phone gets to a point.

In a pocket it seems ok. But even in my chest pocket will often shut down. Perhaps being plugged in would help maintain a heat. Sounds like a good experiment.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdub View Post
I keep my phone in a jacket pocket which is near my body, in airplane mode to conserve battery juice, and I don't track my route which further drains the battery quicker.
This is what I do with my iPhone as well, when away from the vehicle. It's the only way I can ensure the battery will last the day.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:02 PM

Grab a external battery pack. I picked one up that holds enough juice to charge the phone 2x and no bigger than a granola bar. About 20 bucks
Old 02-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Banned

Arrow

Use my I Phone 5 all the time as a GPS. Loaded up with Google Earth and a half dozen topo & tracking programs. Efficient. For the cold I simply carry in a chest pocket. Very rare to run tracking though as it does eat the battery.

My Buddy couples his with an InReach unit for the more remote areas we wander (outside of cell range) and it works like a Hot Damn. Even better with his I Pad.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Grab a external battery pack. I picked one up that holds enough juice to charge the phone 2x and no bigger than a granola bar. About 20 bucks
Yup! Have that as well. It's great for when you used up your battery wandering around GPS'ing and then you need that extra bit of juice to check in with the better half...
Old 02-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Banned

Default Saw an add on unit

That will track more satellites, clips on like a big battery to an iPhone or others. But for the life of me I can't find it again...
Old 02-16-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Yup! Have that as well. It's great for when you used up your battery wandering around GPS'ing and then you need that extra bit of juice to check in with the better half...

Or figure out where the frik I am lol

(Yes I have a compass and know how to use it)
Old 02-16-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Use my I Phone 5 all the time as a GPS. Loaded up with Google Earth and a half dozen topo & tracking programs. Efficient. For the cold I simply carry in a chest pocket. Very rare to run tracking though as it does eat the battery.

My Buddy couples his with an InReach unit for the more remote areas we wander (outside of cell range) and it works like a Hot Damn. Even better with his I Pad.

Cheers,
Nog
Beat me to the punch Nog...

Partnering the DeLorme InReach with your iPhone is the slickest set up I have come across, when it comes to pairing robust GPS capabilities with a communication option. The backup battery is a "must have" in my opinion as well, especially for extended trips. I used the Brunton Revolt 4000 this year on a 10 day backpack trip and it was great (even better with the solar charging option).

As for the iPhone on it's own, considering it's not purpose built for the job, its nonetheless a valuable piece of equipment (though it does like to stay warm).

Justin Paterson
Community Ambassador
Old 02-16-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
Hi, there seems a lot of apps available to cache maps to the phone and use the in-build GPS. My concern is the cold weather and battery on the iphone, as it seems to be very bad if its cold (iphone 6s). I hope to use this on my quad so can charge it but not sure if it'll help with the cold.

Has anyone used their iphone as a GPS? I'm always checking my location on the iHunter app which is great but want to expand on that capability now.

Thanks

Being plugged in should keep your phone battery warm enough you wouldn't have any problems I wouldn't think
Old 02-16-2016, 06:46 PM

Default Huh

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IPhones do not have GPS capabilities. The map system works by triangulating your location by sat towers, so once your away from towers, your SOL. But the Sat maps sure are handy when in cell range.
At least that's my take on it.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IPhones do not have GPS capabilities. The map system works by triangulating your location by sat towers, so once your away from towers, your SOL. But the Sat maps sure are handy when in cell range.

Your correct that IPhones do not have gps. I've had explained that they triangulate off of FM signals ?
I use mine all fall guiding where I have no service. As long as you upload your maps when you have service it's all good. (I have service at camp and load my maps for the days hunt in the morning before I head out.)
Old 02-16-2016, 07:16 PM

Default yes it is gps enabled

taken from here
https://support.apple.com/en-mk/HT202588
Maintain a clear view of the horizon in several directions. Keep in mind that walls, vehicle roofs, tall buildings, mountains, and other obstructions can block line of sight to GPS satellites. When this occurs, your device will automatically use Wi-Fi or cellular networks to determine your position until the GPS satellites are visible again.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 PM

thanks for the replies, couple ideas I'm definitely going to look into and try out.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:

You're corrected. LOL. iPhones do have built in GPS. With true onboard mapping apps such as Garmin N America etc, you can shut the phone data off and still use the GPS and mapping app. iPads without 3G/LT E do not have GPS built in and as you suggested, use triangulation. Those with 3G/LTE do have the GPS built in.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:37 AM

Default Odd

I've been doing some research on line regarding this, and it has definately caused some stirred emotions and differing opinions.
Apparently IPhone does not use WASS either.
I have definately been in a position where the Iphone would not navigate but my GPS was fine. Not sure why this is, but I am not a GPS tevhnician, but have for years navigated with one.
So would folks say, if you were in the sub arctic, a long ways from cellular coverage, you would feel as comfortable with a smart phone as with a GPS?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:48 AM

As we've indicated, it appears you could...

http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-...p-backpacking/

Quote:
I've been doing some research on line regarding this, and it has definately caused some stirred emotions and differing opinions.
I have definately been in a position where the Iphone would not navigate but my GPS was fine. Not sure why this is, but I am not a GPS tevhnician, but have for years navigated with one.
So would folks say, if you were in the sub arctic, a long ways from cellular coverage, you would feel as comfortable with a smart phone as with a GPS?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:03 PM

Default Huh

Great link, thanks for sharing.
I believe my problem to now be that I have only updated my IPhone 5 once in the 3+ years I've owned it due to others saying how much storage gets taken and speed loss.
Maybe IPhone 6 is on the horizon.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
My Android Samsung takes forever to get a lock, pretty much useless, I think it's just the way antenna works, I use it just to make sure I don't walk out of a WMU sometimes, otherwise I think any cheap GPS unit works better
Old 02-18-2016, 08:14 AM

For those who want back-up power, I love the adaptors Milwaukee has to turn their cordless drill batteries into USB chargers. I have one of each for both my 12V batteries as well as my 18v batteries.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/access...ers/49-24-2310