Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 PM

Default Kinda a sad day today lol

Pulled the remaining marten boxes today. Only had 10 sets and havn't rebaited for over 2 weeks and no scent so I wasn't surprised I only had a squirrel and a weasel.
To brighten the day up though I got wolf number 9 today. Caught it perfect right behind the head and not much of a fuss. Fur was horrible on it again. Stomach area was all bright red, no long guard hairs on the flanks. Skinny as can be and hardly any long fur on the neck. She looked like a road runner with a skinny neck.
Also got 2 coyotes and another fox.
Found a spot where there are otter coming in and out of an open stream in a few spots so I got 4 conibears out. I should connect on one of them if the weather stays nice.
I did some exploring and have a new route to set up on next year for about 40 boxes worth.
It was a good day but felt a little sad to take the marten traps down.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 PM
Banned

Yep I have to agree nube, I feel the same when I pull my sets , Kind of like going home after getting laid off! LOL

Last edited by parfleche; 01-27-2016 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Yep I have to agree nube, I feel the same when I pull my sets , Kind of like going home after getting laid off! LOL
I know the feeling except Im going back to work after having the winter essentially all to myself . Thats worse ..lol.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:36 AM

Guys, looking for some wisdom, why do our marten sets drop off so much in January. Weather is obviously a factor along with breeding season approaching but what are the main factors?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Banned

Gee, just in time for those custom made boxes that are waiting for you. Oh well, they will work just as well next season.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 AM

Yup, know the feeling, pulled mine down yesterday!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Gee, just in time for those custom made boxes that are waiting for you. Oh well, they will work just as well next season.
Told you i needed them before the season started I put a lot of mine out in the summer. It takes way too long to do it mid season when all you have time for is checking traps. We will put them to good use next year
Old 01-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, looking for some wisdom, why do our marten sets drop off so much in January. Weather is obviously a factor along with breeding season approaching but what are the main factors?
No Idea but i have learned that there is not really any use to trapping after December. I catch very few at the end of Dec the last 2 years. This year i waited till after the first week in Jan to pull as i did not catch much the 2 times out before that. Then i focus on Canines and Cats and use my time more effectively. I did a bit of a test and left about a dozen boxes up till this week that I drive by tot he cabin anyways just to see and all I caught were a few squirrels and a weasel. Not worth running 80 traps to catch one or 2 marten to me.
I spent my time making wolf sets and mini bait sets for coyotes. I Have caught a pile of coyotes on my line this year doing it and it is fun catching the wolves. Got a couple fox as well. My weakness this year was not getting serious about the cats and I didn't get as many as I should have. Lots of cat tracks out there though
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM

How often or do you guys rebait your boxes? With the screens in place the bait can pretty much stay there all season...its frozen...the only thing i did was replace the lure a few times but my catch rate was not to good and just wondering if I should have been freshing up the bait.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:32 PM

I find that it dries up every week and a half or 2 weeks and my catch rate goes down. If I had an endless supply of bait i would rebait every week. I relure every time i go out. That was part of the test for leaving my stuff out longer this year and not changing the bait. I just left the boxes and didn't do anything but check them. I relured a few but like I said i didn't catch much other than squirrels and the odd weasel
Old 01-30-2016, 10:38 AM

Just a thought of mine is maybe we have caught most of the marten in immediate area of our trap location, Also during extreme cold weather and deep snow conditions less wandering of the young marten and more hibernating. In other words marten less active in January and females developing pups and move less, we obviously want to lower their catch.