Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-10-2016, 07:05 AM
AO Sponsor

It's obvious then, the proliferation of jack rabbits are ganging up and killing off the coyotes. They start with the young ones first. That is why there are no pups in scattered localities around the province and in adjacent localities, there are many pups. I really thought it was the AC virus, but turns out it's the jacks. Makes sense too. The story books tell us that predators only kill the sick and the weak, so the jacks must gang up on the pups first and annihilate them. Once they have depleted the juvenile coyotes, they must move onto the adults.

Yesterday I was on a spot and picked up three coyotes, two were adults and one was a pup, but there were jack rabbit tracks everywhere... like scads. Last year in the same spot, I caught six on my first check. Based upon this science, the rabbit population has taken the coyote numbers down by 50% because this year on my first check I only caught 3, that's a 50% reduction. In that area, there must be two adults for every pup because yesterday, that's what I caught. Nobody could possibly refute this. Hard data. Real science.

There's no possible way that there would be other factors involved. What my two eyes see, that is how it is.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:12 AM

Now if only jack prices were as high as yote prices things would be looking up
Lots of jacks in my area also
Old 01-10-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
It's obvious then, the proliferation of jack rabbits are ganging up and killing off the coyotes. They start with the young ones first. That is why there are no pups in scattered localities around the province and in adjacent localities, there are many pups. I really thought it was the AC virus, but turns out it's the jacks. Makes sense too. The story books tell us that predators only kill the sick and the weak, so the jacks must gang up on the pups first and annihilate them. Once they have depleted the juvenile coyotes, they must move onto the adults.

Yesterday I was on a spot and picked up three coyotes, two were adults and one was a pup, but there were jack rabbit tracks everywhere... like scads. Last year in the same spot, I caught six on my first check. Based upon this science, the rabbit population has taken the coyote numbers down by 50% because this year on my first check I only caught 3, that's a 50% reduction. In that area, there must be two adults for every pup because yesterday, that's what I caught. Nobody could possibly refute this. Hard data. Real science.

There's no possible way that there would be other factors involved. What my two eyes see, that is how it is.
There you go straight from the horses mouth. you realize I was joking don't you.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Now if only jack prices were as high as yote prices things would be looking up
Lots of jacks in my area also
Ya too bad they're not as big as coyotes. Coyote carcasses are worth a lot more. Make more money selling the carcass than selling chicken.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
LOL .. No you are correct , things have really slowed down here , gotta have some fresh victims move into my areas . Birds are still pounding the bait ,but very few fresh tracks seen .
Done my check picked up 7 today seems to have
Picked up
Old 01-10-2016, 09:04 PM

Default Baits gone cold

Check my 5 baits yesterday, and 4 of them came up empty. That's the first that has happened this year. The other one had 5 yotes caught at it, so all was not lost. Always seem to be able to catch at least 1 coyote at each spot. Maybe the warmer weather will get them going again.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:54 PM

Did my three check. Picked up 15. Three went to the compose pile. The rest are skinners. Still no rabbits sign
Old 01-11-2016, 10:57 AM

So an update on the whole Solunar game movement theory . . did the check yesterday and got 6! If you read the earlier post this is in line with what it said would be better game movement. Jan. 3-6 was bad, low movement days, checked the night of the 6th - 0.
Jan. 7-10 was super high movement check and got 6.

Now all this with a grain of salt as lots of other stuff is in play, ie. weather and other outside factors, but if all things remain equal i think it might be fairly accurate. Any way just thought some might find it interesting, going to keep an eye on it the rest of the season.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Banned

I'm glad to hear that things are picking up for everyone! Last week we had fresh snow followed by a bit of a cold snap and that seemed to help everyone out. It's not happening for me in my area though. The last 3 or 4 days I did quite a bit of driving and humping and the coyote tracks simply aren't there in the usual amounts....some places none at all. Between my own observations and from landowners living where I'm trapping the coyotes are simply not here.

This may sound crazy to some but my conclusion is that I trapped the area out and new coyotes have enough to eat in thier own territory and no reason to move in. There were also fewer pups here this year so there were fewer transients.

With only 6 weeks left I can keep waiting another 2 weeks for things to change and possibly be left standing there with my "snare" in my hand, or change things up. Tomorrow I'm starting a new bait site and hanging snares about 10 kms further away and I'll be looking for permission to trap other new areas. The fresh snow makes it easy to see the sign and areas to target. I'm going to focus more on blind sets at fences, etc as well. Adapt and overcome I guess.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm glad to hear that things are picking up for everyone! Last week we had fresh snow followed by a bit of a cold snap and that seemed to help everyone out. It's not happening for me in my area though. The last 3 or 4 days I did quite a bit of driving and humping and the coyote tracks simply aren't there in the usual amounts....some places none at all. Between my own observations and from landowners living where I'm trapping the coyotes are simply not here.

This may sound crazy to some but my conclusion is that I trapped the area out and new coyotes have enough to eat in thier own territory and no reason to move in. There were also fewer pups here this year so there were fewer transients.

With only 6 weeks left I can keep waiting another 2 weeks for things to change and possibly be left standing there with my "snare" in my hand, or change things up. Tomorrow I'm starting a new bait site and hanging snares about 10 kms further away and I'll be looking for permission to trap other new areas. The fresh snow makes it easy to see the sign and areas to target. I'm going to focus more on blind sets at fences, etc as well. Adapt and overcome I guess.
I'm in the same boat as you Dave , simply no or very few fresh tracks and I dont have time to go starting a new spot . Hung up snares in one location today as the local sledders have taken to running the country and dogs have evaporated .Gonna go back to spot and stalk some dogs napping on snow banks or maybe try and find some that havent been educated by the masses of pro callers around here . Been a good year tho and I have no other complaints . lol