Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-28-2015, 04:02 PM

Default WTB my first bow

Hi,
I want to buy my first bow by early spring. I will be using for hunting. Could I get some recommendations from you guys on what to consider as my first bow. I have a budget of $700.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2015, 04:08 PM

Is this budget for bow and rigging, or just the bow?

I bought mine a few days ago, went with a diomand. Oppted for a low price for a ready to hunt package. Spent a mere $400 on the bow. Then realized, even though it has the basic bolt on items (site, rest, quiver and stabilizer) included. One still needs a release ($50 and way up). Arrows, ($50 and way up). Target (if wanting to shoot outside the lanes {$50 and up}.

Just curious.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:22 PM

Go to a pro shop and shoot as many as you can. This will allow you to learn about bow technology as well as let you get a feel of what features mean the most to you, not what some anonymous person on the Internet feels are the most important features. Talk to as many people face to face as you can who are experienced and get them to tell you why they favor the features that they do.

If you learn the technology and get an idea of what you want for features I'm sure you could pick up a 2 or 3 model year old flagship bow that will serve you well for your first bow on the budget you have.

In my opinion, the entry level package bows are a poor investment, as I see the majority of people who get these are ready to get rid of them for a better model early on after beginning their archery experience. If you spend a little more up front it will save you money in the end by continually upgrading your entry level bow and it's accessories.

Norm
Old 12-28-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
Is this budget for bow and rigging, or just the bow?

I bought mine a few days ago, went with a diomand. Oppted for a low price for a ready to hunt package. Spent a mere $400 on the bow. Then realized, even though it has the basic bolt on items (site, rest, quiver and stabilizer) included. One still needs a release ($50 and way up). Arrows, ($50 and way up). Target (if wanting to shoot outside the lanes {$50 and up}.

Just curious.
Since I don't know if my budget matches my expectations I'm not really sure. I was hoping $700 would cover everything. I guess I need to see what's out there for the money.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Go to a pro shop and shoot as many as you can. This will allow you to learn about bow technology as well as let you get a feel of what features mean the most to you, not what some anonymous person on the Internet feels are the most important features. Talk to as many people face to face as you can who are experienced and get them to tell you why they favor the features that they do.

If you learn the technology and get an idea of what you want for features I'm sure you could pick up a 2 or 3 model year old flagship bow that will serve you well for your first bow on the budget you have.

In my opinion, the entry level package bows are a poor investment, as I see the majority of people who get these are ready to get rid of them for a better model early on after beginning their archery experience. If you spend a little more up front it will save you money in the end by continually upgrading your entry level bow and it's accessories.

Norm
Hi Norm,

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if you are located in the Edmonton area but if you are can you recommend any shops. I'll want to talk to a bow expert not a salesman.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Go see Carson and Dave at Jim-Bow's Edmonton. They both know their stuff and can definitely help you out.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:43 PM

Also go see Lawrence at Accurate Archery at alberta beach. Definitely worth going for a drive. He carries 4 good lines of bows and has a wealth of information and experience that he will share freely. Between Accurate and Jimbows you should be able to shoot all the major brands and get some awesome input and advise.

Norm
Old 12-28-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Go see Carson and Dave at Jim-Bow's Edmonton. They both know their stuff and can definitely help you out.
Thanks I will do that.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Also go see Lawrence at Accurate Archery at alberta beach. Definitely worth going for a drive. He carries 4 good lines of bows and has a wealth of information and experience that he will share freely. Between Accurate and Jimbows you should be able to shoot all the major brands and get some awesome input and advise.

Norm
Excellent I will add him to my list. Much appreciated.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:58 PM

Good luck in your research! Try not to get too bogged down in techy stuff, and just focus on what your body is telling you when you are trying the various bows out. After a little exposure and experience you will pick the one that will suit your needs the best.

Norm
Old 12-29-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Good luck in your research! Try not to get too bogged down in techy stuff, and just focus on what your body is telling you when you are trying the various bows out. After a little exposure and experience you will pick the one that will suit your needs the best.

Norm
Thanks Norm makes sense
Old 12-29-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Norm
Good advice, let the bow pick you. Lots of folks head into a pro shop with a brand and model in mind but leave the shop with something better suited because they gave different brands and models a try.

LC
Old 12-29-2015, 09:08 AM

Agree with normanrd suggestions...there are several good bows out there within that budget...although many big box store package deals offer a reasonable price the accesories are low end at best...Diamonds have a good entry level packages...however first off the rest is crap...and will quickly lead to bad shooting...nothing but issues...I would replace right away, other accessories will surfice until you want or need to update.

Although as mentioned for a couple hundred more you can really get quaility...on the other hand not everyone can afford too, so these bows will do the job for entry level...

Neil
Old 12-30-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Norm
I went and shot a number of different bows and when all said and down I'm going to buy the Botech Carbon Icon. it felt very comfortable, very smooth and fairly quite. I think it will be a great bow to start with. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:58 PM

Default Bow

Jim Bows Edmonton great service.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvan49 View Post
I went and shot a number of different bows and when all said and down I'm going to buy the Botech Carbon Icon. it felt very comfortable, very smooth and fairly quite. I think it will be a great bow to start with. Thanks for your help.
Good stuff. If your not in a hurry to buy you should go through the exercise again and see if your mood changes. You might pick up something on the second time around that you missed on the first. If not, enjoy your choice and I hope we'll see you out at some 3d events this summer! They're a great way to develop skill and get exposure to lots of archery gear from arrows to bows to releases, sights and stabilizers.

Norm