Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2015, 09:05 AM

Default questions about Cuba

We are heading off to Cuba later this winter and I wondered about shots for any diseases. Are there any shots required before leaving? Also, any fishing guides in the Veradero area worth hiring? Thanks. BEL
Old 12-27-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
We are heading off to Cuba later this winter and I wondered about shots for any diseases. Are there any shots required before leaving? Also, any fishing guides in the Veradero area worth hiring? Thanks. BEL
Best guy out of Varadero Cuba is Alfredo.

Alfredo's Tarpon Fishing Trips

Knows great English. Excellent guide. Can work most cameras like an expert. Funny and a solid guide all round.

Contact him and get fishing. Spin or fly with this guy.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 AM

Tipping in Cuba is about $40 CUC on the river and $50 CUC on the flats.

That is the only money they make outside of the $50 the get a month from the government.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-27-2015, 09:48 AM

No shots required. Only drink the water in the resorts, other than that get your self to Havana. It is a great experience.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:51 AM

Shouldnt need anything special, and they have some of the best medical facilities around should something occur...just make sure you have some type of insurance. Have fun its a great place to visit!
Old 12-27-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaleddie View Post
No shots required. Only drink the water in the resorts, other than that get your self to Havana. It is a great experience.
Doesn't hurt to have Twinrix.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 AM

Get your doctor to prescribe some Ciprofloxacin. Good insurance against intestinal problems anywhere. Just ask my wife.

Grizz
Old 12-27-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Get your doctor to prescribe some Ciprofloxacin. Good insurance against intestinal problems anywhere. Just ask my wife.

Grizz
Good idea. I take Imodium there and take acidophilus each day.

I think everyone that goes the first time has a problem. After that not so much. Watch food handling and don't eat at that station if you are grossed out. Once saw a guy without gloves handling raw chicken, cooked meat, utensils and the garbage without washing.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:36 PM

You don't want to fall into the clutches of the Cuban health care system. Some hospitals have running water and some have both hot and cold running water.

There used to be a Canadian medi-vac company operating to Cuba. They may still be around. They could fly direct without stopping in the USA. Pricy but if it's life or death.....
Old 12-27-2015, 01:42 PM

Your best bet would be to call the Alberta Travel Clinic. They have up to date information on everything health related. You can get all your shots there too if you chose to go that route.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
You don't want to fall into the clutches of the Cuban health care system. Some hospitals have running water and some have both hot and cold running water.

There used to be a Canadian medi-vac company operating to Cuba. They may still be around. They could fly direct without stopping in the USA. Pricy but if it's life or death.....
On the contrary.

Know an old girl that's on a pretty tight budget.

She gets her cosmetic surgery done on the cheap and is quite happy about it.

http://www.healthservicecuba.com/
Old 12-27-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
On the contrary.

Know an old girl that's on a pretty tight budget.

She gets her cosmetic surgery done on the cheap and is quite happy about it.

http://www.healthservicecuba.com/
I agree. Medical services in Cuba are first world. However if you are a foreigner you do not get special treatment. You will be treated the same as though you were at a Canadian hospital. The worst get treated first...standard triage.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Despite of what all the AO travel tards try to scare post. Cuba is a safe place to visit. Be cautious hep virus ( I have yet to hear of anyone getting it). Yup, you may have a little digestive issues consuming Cuban food, but remember it's not Canada so food is prepared differently, but again it's not unhealthy ( I've been there lots and never had digestive issues) Enjoy the trip...you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by loyaleddie; 12-27-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:59 PM

I guess your right. The Canadian health care system and the Cuban system are about equal
Old 12-27-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaleddie View Post
Despite of what all the AO travel tards try to scare post. Cuba is a safe place to visit. Be cautious hep virus ( I have yet to hear of anyone getting it). Yup, you may have a little digestive issues consuming Cuban food, but remember it's not Canada so food is prepared differently, but again it's not unhealthy ( I've been there lots and never had digestive issues) Enjoy the trip...you will not be disappointed.
I wish I was there right now waiting to catch bonefish in the morning.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:55 PM

My wife and I were there in August
We were at an all-inclusive in Varadero. We were advised to choose a 4-star or 5-star resort, as those rankings are NOT the same as North America. Our hotel was 4 or 5 star and it was really nice, food was good, service was great, staff were very polite, a very nice, quiet, relaxing place. We ate and drank like tomorrow was another day, enjoyed ourselves, and felt well every day.

We did a one day 'jeep tour' where we drove around in small 4x4's, that worked out well, was moderately priced. We did an overnight trip to Havana, including the Tropicana show. It was under US$200 per person for the bus, meals, hotel, Tropicana show. That worked well and was good value for $. The Tropicana show was very professional (one could have washed all the dancers' costumes in one load of laundry, but I digress). Havana was interesting, lots to see. I found it challenging as everyone is trying to get a couple of dollars off you, all the time..... very different than at the resort, where staff where there to help you, but were not trying to do something to generate a tip.

Bottom line: glad I went, would encourage others to go, too. Me personally, I would not rush back, but glad I did it. If you want a nice, quiet place to relax and enjoy yourself, an all-inclusive at Veradero is a great choice.

We did not get any vaccines. Probably not a bad idea to get a hepatitis vaccination.
I have spent more than 1 year in South America, mostly Brazil, also Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile, incuding a 10-month sabbatical, and am approaching 20 trips overall to the continent. (actually was in Brazil 3 times this year since mid-August). I have NEVER had a serious disease problem, hardly ever had a digestive problem. I eat VERY WELL, I have a GREAT TIME, and enjoy myself. I NEVER buy food from street vendors, I generally drink bottled water, I take reasonable precautions, and I eat in places that seem clean, with good food hygiene. I do swish my toothbrush under the tap to clean it, but don't generally drink tap water.

Common sense will get you a long ways.......I do take Immodium (diarrhea treatment) with me, but have almost never taken it.

If you are completely paranoid, STAY HOME and make life easier for you and everyone around you. Otherwise, make good decisions, enjoy yourself and have fun.

YMMV, but that's my experience.
Enjoy
Hawkeye
Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post

And some of the doctors work at the hotels, cause they can make more money. Actually never had problems in Cuba, it was in Mexico the wife had her bad experience. Without her Cipro, she wouldn't have made the plane home, stuff works miracles quickly.

Grizz
Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
My wife and I were there in August
We were at an all-inclusive in Varadero. We were advised to choose a 4-star or 5-star resort, as those rankings are NOT the same as North America. Our hotel was 4 or 5 star and it was really nice, food was good, service was great, staff were very polite, a very nice, quiet, relaxing place. We ate and drank like tomorrow was another day, enjoyed ourselves, and felt well every day.
I'm in a Varadero 5 star right now, stuck surfing AO and watching showtime because of an intestinal issue that has me and my wife both in the room for a couple days. I'm not sure it was food, feels like the flu maybe. Sucks either way. Decent resort so far, could use a refresh but everything works and the staff is good.

I'm booked for Tarpon fishing on Rio Hatiguanico in a few days, I'll report back if I manage to shove a cork far enough up you know what to make it there.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:27 PM

Default Thanks

some good info here. My wife and I are up to date on all shots and glad to hear dont need anything special. I forgot about the stomach stuff and will take precautions. Thanks for that.
Midge, where are you--which resort? BEL
Old 12-27-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I'm in a Varadero 5 star right now, stuck surfing AO and watching showtime because of an intestinal issue that has me and my wife both in the room for a couple days. I'm not sure it was food, feels like the flu maybe. Sucks either way. Decent resort so far, could use a refresh but everything works and the staff is good.

I'm booked for Tarpon fishing on Rio Hatiguanico in a few days, I'll report back if I manage to shove a cork far enough up you know what to make it there.
You should be ok for tarpon. Buddy just came back last night. Him and his boys landed a few as newbies. A snook and snapper also. Alfredo was their guide. Who is taking you?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Best guy out of Varadero Cuba is Alfredo.

Alfredo's Tarpon Fishing Trips

Knows great English. Excellent guide. Can work most cameras like an expert. Funny and a solid guide all round.

Contact him and get fishing. Spin or fly with this guy.
Do you have to take your own gear? Do you pre-book or book once you are in Cuba?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:31 AM

Default Veradero bound

We are booked there later this winter for 10 day all inclusive as well.
Not a hard core fisherman by any stretch of the imagination but the couple we travel with are usually interested in doing something besides sitting around the pool all day. Perhaps fishing would be a good day. Tropicana and Havana sound highly recommended as a must see. Any other ideas?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
Do you have to take your own gear? Do you pre-book or book once you are in Cuba?
I would email Alfredo and set up a day or two. They have room for only 8 anglers. There are freshwater springs and manatees also. I say that because you can fish for 8 hours. The rest of the family can go on a wildlife tour and then swim at the springs.

Alfredo has some gear however it is Cuba so I recommend your own. If spin fishing for tarpon I would like a heavy outfit and a battle II either 6000 or 8000 model with 80lb test or preferably 100 lb braid. I like 80 lb mono leader with the 100 lb braid or 60 lb mono leader with 80 lb braid. A good travel rod is key. Get a good one and you can use it for tarpon, snook, barracuda, lingcod, snapper, rockfish, halibut, small tuna etc.

Fly fishing...need a 10 to 11 weight. Full sink line. 80 lb florocarbon leader.

You can hear Alfredo on this video. Fishing tarpon in the river with Alfredo
Old 12-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

Default Not fearmongering but....

Do not drive in Cuba.If you get into an accident there will have to be an investigation even if you are 100% not at fault and you will not be allowed to leave Cuba until that investigation is over and done.I remember reading in the herald about a guy from Calgary who got in a car accident and he was stuck there for 3 months.

FTH
Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Do not drive in Cuba.If you get into an accident there will have to be an investigation even if you are 100% not at fault and you will not be allowed to leave Cuba until that investigation is over and done.I remember reading in the herald about a guy from Calgary who got in a car accident and he was stuck there for 3 months.

FTH
Driving in Cuba is freaky. You have tourist vehicles with Cuba drivers going fast. You have locals going slow. You have on pulling carts. You have slow driving tourists. You have people riding on ox. Lots of horses and tons of bikes. No one has light reflectors. Within seconds you can run over an adult or kid riding down the middle of a road because of less ruts and pot holes.

In Cuba you are deemed guilty until proven innocent. Without fluid Spanish and lots of witnesses just hope you don't hurt someone or worse.

Hitch hikers are everywhere and for Cubans it is the law to pick them up.

Hire a taxi and dicker on the price. Make sure you tip. Bring maps of where you want to go so there is no confusion.

Alfredo can help with the taxi.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
some good info here. My wife and I are up to date on all shots and glad to hear dont need anything special. I forgot about the stomach stuff and will take precautions. Thanks for that.
Midge, where are you--which resort? BEL
Melia Las Americanas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You should be ok for tarpon. Buddy just came back last night. Him and his boys landed a few as newbies. A snook and snapper also. Alfredo was their guide. Who is taking you?
Same outfit as Alfredo but I'm not sure what guide. I booked it through the Westjet Vacations rep so I didn't have to mess with transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
I bring my own gear, you can load up an extra suitcase for $25 each way, lets me be sure of what I have to work with. I've done the day trip thing while on family vacations a few times now and I find it's good to be flexible so I don't pre book. I get a good idea what I want to do ahead of time and then investigate transportation options once I have a couple days to figure the local area.

As Sundance said, driving here in a rental is about the last damn thing I'd want to do, the roads are basically chaos.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:18 AM

Anti commie shots.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
Anti commie shots.
Theyre not communist

It is a ranching dictatorship.