Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-20-2015, 09:31 PM

Default Berkshire snare locks?

Has anyone tried Berkshire snare locks, and what do you think of them. I have been using Lighting Locks, but they seem to plug up with hair, and not lock down as tight as I had hoped. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:20 AM
AO Sponsor

Try squeezing the clasp on the lock a little, some were made a little wide once. If the clasp looks sloppy then squeeze down and try them again.

If you want to go with a hole lock, try the micro locks. Lots of guys like them. Berkshires are icky. Kind of massive, clunky things.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Has anyone tried Berkshire snare locks, and what do you think of them. I have been using Lighting Locks, but they seem to plug up with hair, and not lock down as tight as I had hoped. Thanks for the replies.
I am having the same issue with the 1/16 Lightning lock. I pressed 2 dozen tonight and will give it a try. I started replacing my line last week with 5/64 as 17 losses this month is not good.

I did use the micro last year and will not run them again myself.
I will go back to hand filed teeth if I can not get things to lock up well. I liked the original run of the lightning lock as it worked best out of all the 1/16th runs.IMO

Thanks!
Paul
Old 12-21-2015, 09:07 PM

I have used the kiepler locks before and they are a good alternative. I would use them over the birkshires if I had to choose. I know one fella that uses the kiepler locks exclusively on all his snares. He piles up a tonne of coyotes every year and has no issues.