Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Lost my furry Best Friend

Went to let my old girl inside 2 nights ago and found her passed away outside. She was 12 but showed no signs of health issues and was doing very well for her age. Looks like her bowels let loose after she layed down and passed and there was alot of blood in it. I found her in a spot that she never lied in either. I called her and she did not come, I looked in her house and for a minuite thought she was let out or stolen. I looked between the stairs and the fence and there she was. Hardest thing ever, cant get that image out of my head. She will be cremated.

How did you oet owners cope with this? I cant be in the house, its to hard. She has her spots all over, the back yard is so empty. I have no one to walk with, relax with, go for drives with. I never realized how much my life revolved around her until now. She came with me everywhere. She protected our family and showed nothing but love for us. I feel so guilty that she passed outside, alone. If I could id pack up and move as I cannot get away from looking for her outside. I have caught myself going to the back door to let her in, to feed her wetc. I donated everything of hers to the SPCA and thought not seeing her empty house would help. It didnt.

I have had her since I was 16, she has been through alot with me. How have you dealt with such a thing. How long before you got another dog. I cant do anything as she was always with me, now I feel alone, I lost my best friend

Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 PM

I'm sorry for your loss fella. It sounds like she had a great life. It does get easier with time. Remember to have a good cry, it helps..
Regards,
H1602
Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Banned

Oh my...this is very bad news..I feel for you and your family....it sucks to lose a great dog...
Old 12-20-2015, 07:31 PM

Sorry to hear.
Our 8 yr old lab rotty cross is going in for X-ray tomorrow, her back legs or hips are gone. This started a month or so with just a bit of a limp, far worse now.
I fear a tough decision in the next day or so.

TBark
Old 12-20-2015, 07:31 PM

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-20-2015, 07:32 PM

So sorry to hear bud.
They say time heals all wounds. The loss of a dog is always hard. Time and another dog has helped me in the past.
As hard as It is, cry if you need to. Grieve, and visit your local shelter and pick out another pup.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:33 PM

Very sorry for your loss. I don't have much for advice other than give it time and remember all the good. Pets (dogs especially in my experience) are one of the best parts of life.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:36 PM

I am truly sorry to hear of her passing. While nothing will immediately take away the pain, remind yourself of how much you loved her and how great of a life she must've had with an owner that cared for her the way you did. Dogs are very special, I have no doubt in my mind that they can feel love and affection.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:40 PM

For what its worth, you knowing that she had a full and happy life with a loving family can only help with the pain. But its ok to grieve, and you'll always have her in your heart.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:44 PM

Sorry for your loss, it takes some time and still I never forget my dog died after 18 years, that was 13 years ago already. buried her on my acreage, this March my cat got picked off only found some fur remnants, I still miss them, but for now won't be getting anything else. Wife says she can't take the sorrow. Keep your chin up.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:46 PM

I've had a good cry at least once a day since my old furry girl was euthanized at the end of October. Take some time to grieve, my friend.

We got up the nerve last week to go to the local Humane Society and we came home with a nice doggy.

A new pup will make you feel a whole lot better
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Very Sorry for your loss.
But know that your old girl is kicking up her heels in heaven-pain free and happy as a clam patiently waiting for the day that you see her and walk the same trails again
Old 12-20-2015, 08:15 PM

Very sorry for your loss. My girl went much the same way , she was 12 as well. took me about 4 months to quit tearing up every time i saw her picture or thot of her. Her box of ashes and i watched a movie together a while ago in the man cave.. Its hard to lose them.
They say a good dog goes far too soon, and a bad dog lives forever
Old 12-20-2015, 08:24 PM

I know the pain. Lost a couple dogs in similar situations..... only different. Still tear upnonce in a while even after 13 years. Then I remember the joy that they gave me and move on. I feel for you.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:30 PM

Default Look at the bright side (?)

She just died, without a lot of sufferring or you having to interfere. So many of us have had to make that decision for pets - that is the worst trip to the vet ever, for both you and the pet. I feel for your loss, but I wish the same sort of passing for myself and mine. You provided her with a life far superior to many of her kind, and she went out without a lot of sufferring. Be grateful for her existence in your life and move on.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear ... my condolence's.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 PM

So sorry for your loss, they definitely leave footprints on your heart. Remember the good times and cherish the times you had together. From what you wrote and the photos that you posted she had a great life with people who loved her very much .... kinda the equivalent of winning the "doggy lottery". The pain will pass in time. Take time to grieve. Hard to say when to get another dog. Everyone is different, but somewhere, someday one will come along and you will know that the time is right. They are such wonderful animals.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
She just died, without a lot of sufferring or you having to interfere. So many of us have had to make that decision for pets - that is the worst trip to the vet ever, for both you and the pet. I feel for your loss, but I wish the same sort of passing for myself and mine. You provided her with a life far superior to many of her kind, and she went out without a lot of sufferring. Be grateful for her existence in your life and move on.
what schmedlap said-we lost our 14.5 girl last summer and had to go the interfere vet route. 12 is a good age and it happened for you quickly and that's always a blessing.

the sense of loss and pain is part of the price we pay for a good companion, looks like you had a good one.

Creeky….

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 12-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Sorry for your loss. She looks like a beautiful dog. Celebrate her life and time will heal the pain.
We had to put one of ours to sleep this past week. She was 16.

Her pic has been on the fridge with the grandkids for ever. oddly when we look at the ic over coffee, instead of tearing up, we smile and talk about all the funny stuff that she did over the years.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-20-2015, 09:54 PM

Very sorry for your loss.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:02 PM

Condolences Troutbug

Was there many years ago - it was very hard. Still have fond memories of the dog and all his antics.

Time will heal, but the memories will never fade.

Mr Conservation
Old 12-20-2015, 10:06 PM

A good dog is always hard on the heart
Old 12-20-2015, 10:08 PM

My condolences. I know the pain you are going through.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:14 PM

Allot of us here have gone though the pain of losing our Best Friend, some of us multiple times. It's never easy, and I am sorry for your loss.

You will know when the time is right to think about another dog, but this is the time to grieve and remember the joy she brought you.

And remember always, she'll be on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:14 PM

Its a tough one and am sorry for your loss.
Similarly I got my boy Jake when I was 14. I grew up and turned into a man with him by my side I moved out and met my wife with him by my side. He passed almost five years to the day also at the age of 12. There is a special bond when that was your best friend though such a period in your life. Unfortunately I was also given the task of deciding when to end his suffering and that was the hardest thing of all. Your friend did you the greatest service of all by not burdening you with that decision.
I had Jake cremated also and while picking him up was very emotional there was some sense of comfort knowing I had him back and by my side.
My wife and I at the time had no children and decided we owed it to Jake to wait several months before looking for another dog. Well coming home was the worse the house was so empty and quiet no tapping nails no nothing so needless to say it was only about 3-4 weeks of tear filled returns home and nights that we decided the void was too big and we went and looked for a rescue dog, in the end it ended up being two 13 week old pups a brother and sister.
The bond I shared with Jake was and still is very strong he will never be replaced or forgotten there is no dog that could compare to him its impossible.
The new pups brought lots of joy and new tears but helped us to focus on much more positive things in our life.

I still need to be careful of who is around if I look at a picture of Jake or talk about him as the water valves still come on easy but I'm ok with that.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:46 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Unhappy

Really sorry to hear about your loss
Pm sent
Old 12-20-2015, 10:47 PM

my old girl died in my bed room at 14 years old from old age , had her from a 6 week old pup, i went and adopted my crazy wirehair pointer from the spca the next day . nothing will ever replace her but he sure helped take the pain away . sorry for your loss.
ps i help with rescue dogs so if you are looking let me know and i'll see if i can help.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:09 PM

Appreciate the kind words and well wishes everyone.

Not many things can bring a full grown man to his knees in tears. I am not sure I have ever been so heart broken. You do not realize how much of a void there is in ones life until your best friend is gone. My 2 girls are quite crushed as well. We all had a routine with Abby and now there is a big gap. The wife even told me to get out of the house for a while as I really do not know what to do with myself as Abby was always by my side.

I try and avoid many parts of the house as I expoect to see my pup, sitting, waiting to go for a walk or just come give the family some love.

She has protected us on a few accounts from other animals and always let us know if someone was around that should not have been

Sitting here now and keep looking over hoping to see her curled up snoring away waiting for me to get up so she can follow.

Man, hardest thing ever, can destroy the heart of a full grown man, I dont think I have ever cried so much and so often

Worst thing is I cant get finding her out of my head, than having to tell the wife.

appreciate the shoulder you all provide to lean on
Old 12-20-2015, 11:28 PM

Hey Troutbug,

I'm very sorry for your loss. In time the memories of her will bring you happiness rather than sadness - try to focus on the joy she brought you and your family through all of the years, rather than the sadness you feel at the moment. While there are few things in life harder than loosing a good dog, your post proves that those twelve years together were well worth the pain you're now feeling.

Hang in there - it gets better.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:34 PM

Sorry for your loss. It will take a few months. I've lost 4 already and another one is close to the end. You will always feel like you should have done something more.I Always have about 3 or 4 more around to keep me going.