Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 PM

Default What to get my infant niece for Christmas?

I am wondering if you guys can help me figure out what to get my niece for Christmas?

Her Mother (my sister) is horrible with money, but she has support in place that provides my niece with all necessities, and a abundance of clothes and toys. I was looking into something like a long term Savings bond, but I guess those no longer exist.

She is about 6 months old, and I was looking for something that will benefit her in the long run, more so than just free up some money for my sister to go spend on herself. she has all of the toys and clothes and diapers and such that she will ever need, and I think that my wife and |I have almost exhausted the amount of handmade heirloom type gifts that we can provide for now, until she is a bit older.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:50 PM

What about a contribution to an RESP?
Old 12-14-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
I am wondering if you guys can help me figure out what to get my niece for Christmas?

Her Mother (my sister) is horrible with money, but she has support in place that provides my niece with all necessities, and a abundance of clothes and toys. I was looking into something like a long term Savings bond, but I guess those no longer exist.

She is about 6 months old, and I was looking for something that will benefit her in the long run, more so than just free up some money for my sister to go spend on herself. she has all of the toys and clothes and diapers and such that she will ever need, and I think that my wife and |I have almost exhausted the amount of handmade heirloom type gifts that we can provide for now, until she is a bit older.
How about setting up a scholarship fund for her? Can you contribute some money every month to her future education?
Old 12-15-2015, 03:04 AM
Banned

Badgerbadger is right
Old 12-15-2015, 04:53 AM

Still give her a teddy bear or something as well as the RESP . Just so you don't come off Scroogey !! The RESP will be appreciated when she is 20, a 3-4-5 year old doesn't get caught up with dollars or cents .
Old 12-15-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Open a bank account in your name and her name
Since children's accounts must have an adults name on them, then contribute to it. No need to to go overboard it all adds up.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:42 AM

X2 on the resp
Old 12-15-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
X2 on the resp
X3 on that.

And a pink camo onesie.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
X3 on that.

And a pink camo onesie.
X4
Can't go wrong with PJ's
Old 12-15-2015, 08:40 AM

Default resp plus

RESP is a great idea but add a pair of esks grey cup champ PJ s and a teddy bear. gifts need to be fun
Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM

RESP - government contributes to it as well.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Since children's accounts must have an adults name on them, then contribute to it. No need to to go overboard it all adds up.
Good idea, then when she wants to go to post secondary or buy a house, uncle can say here you go. And mom can't use it for other things lol.

and of course the jammies and a teddy bear, endless gift cards . I still get my niece and nephew one gift that's from Uncle that isn't maybe what they want but something small and from me to them on a personnel note. And their teenagers now.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:50 PM

A nice chunk of gold or silver and a rattle that will drive your sister nuts.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
This, An RESP can have the money withdrawn without you knowing, good on you OP for doing this.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:41 PM

How about a subscription to Alberta Outdoorsmen? Can never start them off to you on the great outdoors.

My daughter loves looking at my AO and assorted other outdoor magazines.

BW
Old 12-15-2015, 08:54 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I looked into an RESP, but it seemed to be kind of fruitless, unless I am able to contribute around $200 per month for 20 or so years. Also, I believe that a generous grandparent has already set one up for her. I do like the idea of a childrens savings account though, I can contribute whatever I see fit at any point in time, without her mother having access. This way it seems, that I could let her take money out for any reason that I deem necessary. I like the Idea that she would be able to use this money in the future for specific things that may not be affordable to her mom, such as special school trips, a car when she is older, education, or even a down payment on a house when the time comes. I remember growing up fairly poor, and not being able to afford some special university level drafting courses that were being offered to me when I was in grade 10. I wonder how much my own life would be different if I was able to pursue a career in architecture as I had originally planned. (although I love the fact that my main hobby of building cars is what my career turned out to be.)

I think I will look into this, and obviously any donations will be accompanied with a stuffed animal or trinket of some kind.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:43 PM

A nice set of coins from the child's year of birth. Gold or platinum coinage has better value.

If you are on the farm...give the niece a calf. In a couple years she can help take care of it. By the time she's 16 she'll have a herd.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-16-2015, 01:17 PM

Get her a small blanket. I have three daughters, 6, 4 and 2 and they all have held on to thier special blankies since they were about 6 months. My 2 year old drags that "bubba" everywhere, and she needs it when she's upset and will not go to bed without it. My 4 year old runs to it when she's having a tantrum and needs it for bed time. My 6 year old is more over it but still needs it at bed time and she to this day remembers who gave it to her. They love their blankets. Again, my advise is forget money and RESPs. Get her a nice soft cuddly blanket about 2'x3' and she'll love it.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:32 PM

When my nephew was born my wife and I purchased some Disney stocks. Not gonna get rich but should always appreciate... Still kinda as a kid vibe.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
A nice set of coins from the child's year of birth. Gold or platinum coinage has better value.

If you are on the farm...give the niece a calf. In a couple years she can help take care of it. By the time she's 16 she'll have a herd.

Quote:

I was looking for something that will benefit her in the long run, more so than just free up some money for my sister to go spend on herself.
Quote:
I do like the idea of a childrens savings account though, I can contribute whatever I see fit at any point in time, without her mother having access. This way it seems, that I could let her take money out for any reason that I deem necessary. I like the Idea that she would be able to use this money in the future for specific things that may not be affordable to her mom, such as special school trips, a car when she is older, education, or even a down payment on a house when the time comes.
I think I will look into this, and obviously any donations will be accompanied with a stuffed animal or trinket of some kind.
Coins wouldnt do any good his sister could sell those before his niece ever say the benefit of them.
Hence the reason I suggested a bank account with the OP's name on it with the child as the beneficiary. This way the sister is UNABLE to get her mitts on any of the money at any time.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainlion View Post
Get her a small blanket. I have three daughters, 6, 4 and 2 and they all have held on to thier special blankies since they were about 6 months. My 2 year old drags that "bubba" everywhere, and she needs it when she's upset and will not go to bed without it. My 4 year old runs to it when she's having a tantrum and needs it for bed time. My 6 year old is more over it but still needs it at bed time and she to this day remembers who gave it to her. They love their blankets. Again, my advise is forget money and RESPs. Get her a nice soft cuddly blanket about 2'x3' and she'll love it.

My wife made a nice hand quilted blanket for her when she was born, And she has many more other blankets that were donated to her. That is why I was thinking of going the money route. You can never have enough money!
Old 12-17-2015, 10:24 PM

Cz 452 scout...
Old 12-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainlion View Post

Wow! I had a Bubba blanket when I was a little kid. This brings back really, really old memories. Thanks Mountainlion.

My son is 12 and my daughter is 10. They both have their baby blankets still to this day; Bee and Greenlee. Although my son would probably not admit to knowing where it is.