Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Banned

Default Command start

Anyone know if a remote start/alarm can be removed from a Ford and installed on a GM?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:11 AM

Give these guys a call.

http://certifiedradio.ca/

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:26 AM

Of its a factory ford remote then no, if it's aftermarket than probably some of it could be used but would need different programming or module
Old 11-22-2015, 09:54 AM

Default Is it worth it?

Probably better off to just go with a new one.

If you have to pay to remove it the labour would likely be more than it is worth.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post

If you have to pay to remove it the labour would likely be more than it is worth.
I agree with this. Unless it is some really high end unit to justify the expense, you're going to likely get hit pretty hard on labour as most shops are going to want to avoid doing the job in the first place. You'll likely need a new security bypass module anyway. Might as well start with a new unit under warranty.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I agree with this. Unless it is some really high end unit to justify the expense, you're going to likely get hit pretty hard on labour as most shops are going to want to avoid doing the job in the first place. You'll likely need a new security bypass module anyway. Might as well start with a new unit under warranty.
I had my old unit completely taken out already, and when asked for an install into the new vehicle they said the difference would be less than $50 for a completely new system. Unless you can DIY the install, just buy a whole new system.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:22 AM

Go see or call JB automotive on the west side of 170 St just south of 118 Ave in Edmonton. They have been doing my vehicles since the late 80s. Sometimes it is cheaper to swap them, sometimes cheaper or better to just put in a new one, but at least with JB they give you the straight goods. These guys even fixed a 25 year old install on my wife's Forerunner, no charge, as they warranty their installs for life.

Whatever they recommend is what I would do.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:45 AM

The remotes are cheap, its the labour that kills a guy. Considering there would be more labour to remove the existing one I see it costing the same if not more to switch it over then to get a new one.

Most technicians only know a few certain brands/models too so you risk getting someone that doesn't know the model and has to figure it out.

Long story I would get a new one.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post

This^^. I looked in to it in the past as well. In addition, these units seems to get "temperamental" with age, so it's best to just buy a new unit.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Most technicians only know a few certain brands/models too so you risk getting someone that doesn't know the model and has to figure it out.
Just a heads up - I know this thread isn't about Toyota, but be careful with them.

If you install an after-market remote starter, it'll void your warranty. Unfortunately you can only get one installed by a stealer according to them.

I got that from Country Hills Toyota.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
Of its a factory ford remote then no, if it's aftermarket than probably some of it could be used but would need different programming or module
thanx