Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-17-2015, 03:40 PM

Default Problem skunk

Hi all, I'm by no mean a trapper but I was informed today by my neighbor that I have a skunk living under my front steps, they saw it going under there last night. I bought a live trap and was going to use some marshmallow to bait and trap it to relocate it. im a little concerned it may be a mother with babies. I'm in the city, do I have any other options?
Old 05-17-2015, 03:51 PM

Gas him,
Old 05-17-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Hi all, I'm by no mean a trapper but I was informed today by my neighbor that I have a skunk living under my front steps, they saw it going under there last night. I bought a live trap and was going to use some marshmallow to bait and trap it to relocate it. im a little concerned it may be a mother with babies. I'm in the city, do I have any other options?
Sardines would be a more attractive bait for skunks. There are various options for disposal, depending on whether you intend to release the skunk alive or not. You have to be careful not to get the skunk to spray but it can be done. Talking to the skunk so it knows you are there while you carefully and slowly cover the trap with a blanket works. Most common lethal options are jab syringes. Many years ago before they made car antifreeze not toxic to dogs, skunks would drink any antifreeze you put in a live trap, curl up and go to sleep (permanently) without spraying; I had several fall into my window wells and never had one spray. Good luck!

Last edited by BeesKnees; 05-17-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-17-2015, 04:46 PM

Ok I'll give some sardines a try, my wife seems to think she will catch rabies just from walking up the steps so It would make her feel much better to get rid of it.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Hi there if you would like someone else try a exterminator cal-rid will take care of your problem they are in Calgary I wouldn't mess with them my self but cat food they really like.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
Hi there if you would like someone else try a exterminator cal-rid will take care of your problem they are in Calgary I wouldn't mess with them my self but cat food they really like.
Thanks for the info, I'll see what happens in the next day or two and may very well have to call in a pro
Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 PM

eggs are hard to beat as bait , cover the trap with a plastic tarp before you start .
Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 PM

I put some hard plastic on the side and top of my trap to inhibit his vision. Then, as was said, walk up slowly and cover with a blanket etc. I put a cloth over it the first time and the skunk just pulled it into the trap...hence the plastic sides. Then I usually take them swimming, but I live in the country so its definitely easier for me to do.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Ok I'll give some sardines a try, my wife seems to think she will catch rabies just from walking up the steps so It would make her feel much better to get rid of it.
Rabid skunks usually don't spray but they will come after you. I've had 2 down here over the past 15 years. Both came after us; caught 1 in a fish net and used the nearby lake to submerge him. The other one was dispatched with a large rock. Neither one sprayed. Always be suspicious of a skunk or any other wild animal that walks to you.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:59 PM

Thanks for all the help, I have the trap set and I have my gopro watching the front step and the trap. I'm watching from my iPad safely inside the house. I'll see how things go when the sun goes down
Old 05-17-2015, 09:20 PM

lol. the gopro setup makes for an exciting evening. Good luck !
Old 05-17-2015, 09:37 PM

I spent a couple of summers in Willingdon and there was skunks underneath a shack near my trailer. So I used this setup to dispose of them.

Had the trap right beside the tub of water and they were swimming before they ever knew what was going on. Never had one spray this way.
I use the same trap setup around the yard here and walk up slowly, place a drop cloth over the trap, put it on the front rack of my quad and take them to a dugout about 100 yards N of the house.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:45 PM

That's how we got rid of them at the farm too when we couldn't just shoot them, the neighbors have all been asking what I'm doing with it if I catch it.....got the old " your not going to kill it are you" lol. I'll make the decision when I catch it I suppose
Old 05-17-2015, 10:19 PM

As kids on the farm, we acquired a wealth of experience from skunk related experiments. One I remember in particular, if you take a water hose to the skunk and wash him out of hiding, his wet tail is too heavy to lift in the hose operator's direction. The important part is, have enough water pressure to keep his tail wet until he's out of range to return the favour back at you.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
eggs are hard to beat as bait , cover the trap with a plastic tarp before you start .
Tie a rope to the trap first..they get pretty owly when ya go near the trap to try an tie one on while their in it lol.used to get in the bird shed at guide camp so we figured out the best way to rid of them.drug it to the dugout then flipped a coin for who got to take pepe le peu out of it after about an hr under water lol.great fun!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Put some moth balls under the step. They will usually move out.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 AM
AO Sponsor

I'd throw away the wire cages for skunk trapping and get a Plasti-catch trap, at least that's what I think they are called. A plastic box trap. Animals, including skunks can be moved without them spraying, however the nicest thing is having them for dispatch purposes... stand the trap on end and get the garden hose and fill the trap with water for quiet, clean, noiseless, humane dispatch.

Hard to beat that! Super coon trap too.

Redfrog, good one. I bet that'd work well for dealing with these ones. Who wants a bunch of little skunks rotting away under the step?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 AM
Banned

Easy, wait till well after dark when Peppi leaves the comfort of your front steps and place broken glass around the entrance to his digs. Skunks and many other pest will not cross the glass and find another place to call home.

Good luck, and this will allow your neighbors to decide what the most ethical way to remove this critter
Old 05-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I'd throw away the wire cages for skunk trapping and get a Plasti-catch trap, at least that's what I think they are called. A plastic box trap. Animals, including skunks can be moved without them spraying, however the nicest thing is having them for dispatch purposes... stand the trap on end and get the garden hose and fill the trap with water for quiet, clean, noiseless, humane dispatch.

Hard to beat that! Super coon trap too.

Redfrog, good one. I bet that'd work well for dealing with these ones. Who wants a bunch of little skunks rotting away under the step?
I've never seen this trap, but it sounds genius.

I have used a garbage can with a 1X6 for ramp to the top lip from the outside. Bait the inside. Skunk goes up the ramp and drops in.Put the lid on and fill with water. No spray.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-18-2015, 05:14 PM

No skunk last night, I guess I'll keep trying until I get the bugger
Old 05-25-2015, 02:27 PM

My parents had a momma skunk under their step when I was a teenager, we just left it alone and when babies were old enough, momma skunk took them and off they went somewhere else. Filled in the access hole after that and no more visits. Couple weeks and she will be gone if the trap don't catch her first. Just put up a sign so no one gets surprised
Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM

X2 on the cat food.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:03 PM

Crack an Egg, Skunks Love Eggs...
Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 PM

+1 to Sooner.
Our porch skunk moved on after a week or so. No issues with the two cats and two aggressive dogs next door either..skunks are smart animals. Out after dusk and usually back around 6am.

Just allow it to move on and after no smell or sightings for a few days fill up the hole/access point. They are territorial so 'trapping and moving' isn't always a win for the skunk you move.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:55 AM
Banned

Try some eggs.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:31 AM

If you use something like strawberry jam for bait you'll catch less cats than with meat.
Put the wire frame trap in a garbage bag before setting it leaving the entrance end open.
Just drop the bag over the door side before you lift up the trapped skunk.
If dark and calm they won't spray.
Lots of old wives tails about can't raise their tail so can't spray BS.
Shoot them in the head so they don't spray is also BS.
Less likely to spray if you shoot them in the lungs.
Just for fun I do tell some guys to pick them up by the tail.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned

i always use cabbage and beetles, rot the cabbage a bit and let the beetles eat it, skunks love beettles and cabbage