Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2015, 08:02 PM

Default Red Deer Advice Needed Daughter in Jam With Her Car

I live in the Peace region and have a daughter in Red Deer College. Her sister and some friends went down this weekend to visit her and my little girl (20) is having some car troubles. I am nervous if she will make it back.

The problem I have is, her descriptions of problems are just awful as she really knows absolutely nothing. Her boyfriend is the son of a mechanic, so I guess he figures it is genetic..........personally, I don't think he has a bloody clue. She came to me once as he said the ignition or her starter was gone. Sometimes it doesn't start right away, you need to start it a few times for it to work. The problem was the air filter...........it was turning, it just wasn't starting. Son of mechanic thought it was the starter. (That said he is a really nice guy and treats her well)

So she says it grinds up until 50km/hr then stops. Makes some sort of noise when put in reverse too. Son of mechanic says it is the torque converter. I can't believe he thinks he knows enough to make that call.

Does anyone have any advice of where I could send her to get some advice tomorrow? She has an 750km drive home yet. I am unsure if she leaves Sun or Mon.

She is my baby, and I do worry a little about her.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:12 PM

Cal Tire in Lacombe has always being fair to me, maybe call them in the morn ?
Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I live in the Peace region and have a daughter in Red Deer College. Her sister and some friends went down this weekend to visit her and my little girl (20) is having some car troubles. I am nervous if she will make it back.

The problem I have is, her descriptions of problems are just awful as she really knows absolutely nothing. Her boyfriend is the son of a mechanic, so I guess he figures it is genetic..........personally, I don't think he has a bloody clue. She came to me once as he said the ignition or her starter was gone. Sometimes it doesn't start right away, you need to start it a few times for it to work. The problem was the air filter...........it was turning, it just wasn't starting. Son of mechanic thought it was the starter. (That said he is a really nice guy and treats her well)

So she says it grinds up until 50km/hr then stops. Makes some sort of noise when put in reverse too. Son of mechanic says it is the torque converter. I can't believe he thinks he knows enough to make that call.

Does anyone have any advice of where I could send her to get some advice tomorrow? She has an 750km drive home yet. I am unsure if she leaves Sun or Mon.

Thanks in advance.
If she cannot diagnose and fix the issue ( which will not happen), have her take it in to a mechanic in the morning to have it checked out
Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 PM

What sort of grinding noise till 50? Can she tell where its coming from in the car (front right, back left etc etc)?

Actual mechanic here, my father isn't, but I was told his second wife's cousin's best friend in high school was if that makes me any more credible haha
Old 10-30-2015, 09:14 PM

I've always used Don's tire and auto. They are honest and don't screw you around to make more money off of ya.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner57 View Post
What sort of grinding noise till 50? Can she tell where its coming from in the car (front right, back left etc etc)?

Actual mechanic here, my father isn't, but I was told his second wife's cousin's best friend in high school was if that makes me any more credible haha
She says it's coming from the motor....but I don't trust her at all
Old 10-30-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

Thanks in advance.
sounds like you really like the boyfriend
Old 10-30-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
If she cannot diagnose and fix the issue ( which will not happen), have her take it in to a mechanic in the morning to have it checked out
I am really hoping for a good recommendation where. She could get fleeced pretty easy. Dad has always done all this for her.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:48 PM

There are a couple shops in Red Deer that I consider honest and knowledgeable. One is Cruisin Auto. Their on the north hill about a block west of the ATB bank. The other is Gear Head Automotive located in the Edgar Industrial Park. I've dealt with, and had good luck with both.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 PM

Dons tire and auto has always done great for me.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:44 PM

I'm going up through red deer tomorrow (noon ish) not a mechanic but pretty good at guessing what/where noises come from. Been around the block a few times.
Pm me if you would like me to stop in.
WDF
Old 10-30-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exuberant View Post
I've always used Don's tire and auto. They are honest and don't screw you around to make more money off of ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
Dons tire and auto has always done great for me.
Always good, fair, and honest.

X3 for Don's.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:31 AM

Dicks Auto great mechanics, won't hose you. They have been doing all my auto repairs for 30 yrs
Old 10-31-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckchaser View Post
Dicks Auto great mechanics, won't hose you. They have been doing all my auto repairs for 30 yrs
X2 on Dicks

They are downtown just of Taylor drive on 54Ave.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:29 AM

PM sent to you, I may be a able to help.