Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-22-2015, 09:39 PM

Default First few weeks of my first season

Thought I would share a few pictures of my first few beavers and coyotes I've caught so far this year! Been a great experience so far not so much for my girlfriend ha. Give a bit of a recap, I caught ten beavers on the first lake I trapped on one of my friends property to help him save some trees. Apparently I didn't do much of a dent as he wants me to come back. Then I moved to a few small ponds where I managed to get a few more. Put my first bait out for coyotes on the 18th of October and had six coyotes caught by the 21 what an experience. Was a lot of coyotes to deal with for my first day was hoping to get one or two to ease into it but four hours later I had them all skinned out.
Any way here's a few pictures of my catches, thought I would share as for two years I looked at every picture and that's what's got me into this!
Old 10-22-2015, 09:48 PM

Great to hear!!!
Looking forward to the pictures.
Congrats.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:53 PM

Here they are...

Thanks for looking!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:48 PM

GJ! If you want to come over again I will show you some ways to skin them a bit faster. Once I get going I can usually get them done in 10-12 min which isn't really all that fast but it beats 4 hrs lol. I'd rather have them without any holes than try to break a speed record
Old 10-22-2015, 10:50 PM
Banned

Nice....congrats! I've been holding off on beaver but next week it's on. letting the coyotes prime up until second week of November but I've already started pre-baiting one site and put a road kill whitetail in a second just this afternoon. You are definitely off to a great start. I hope that you have a great season!

Where are you located and is the leather still real blue where you are trapping?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:35 PM

Skinned 3 tonight and the leather looks pretty good to me. Mostly white
Old 10-23-2015, 04:39 AM

right on!!

thanks for sharing
Old 10-23-2015, 05:22 AM

Congrats, that's awesome you are definitely off to a good start
Old 10-23-2015, 07:23 AM

Good catches and nice photos , congrats .. looks like you are hooked !
Old 10-23-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Nice....congrats! I've been holding off on beaver but next week it's on. letting the coyotes prime up until second week of November but I've already started pre-baiting one site and put a road kill whitetail in a second just this afternoon. You are definitely off to a great start. I hope that you have a great season!

Where are you located and is the leather still real blue where you are trapping?
Thanks. I'm just west of Edmonton. The coyotes seemed pretty white. They were all in very good shape minus one had half a tail. I hope you have a great season as well
Old 10-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
GJ! If you want to come over again I will show you some ways to skin them a bit faster. Once I get going I can usually get them done in 10-12 min which isn't really all that fast but it beats 4 hrs lol. I'd rather have them without any holes than try to break a speed record
Thanks I'll take you up on that I did get a lot faster as I went but could fur sure use some tips.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:21 AM

Looking good Gboe8!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Skinned 3 tonight and the leather looks pretty good to me. Mostly white
Beaver or coyote? I'm starting to trap beavers next week regardless but I'm curious. I caught my furst fully prime coyote last year on November 15, just like the manual says but I don't know if it changes from year to year.

I've started 2 bait piles, the second just yesterday with a roadkilled whitetail buck. I'd like to catch primed or near primed dogs so I want to keep my finger on the pulse in case they prime up a week or two earlier this year.

Just my way of doing it.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:38 PM

Coyotes Dave. Not sure why a lot of guys want to wait?Doesn't make sense to me when there is an endless supply of coyotes and prices are still great for yotes this time of year. Either way keep doing what your doing and have some fun at it.