Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2015, 06:23 AM

Default Worst campaign ever!

Well I won't say I told you so but there it is, worse than Jim Prentice, and worse than John Diefenbaker's, worse than Louis St.Laurent's last one.

If there are any aspiring politicians on this site, and I hope that there are, here is some advice gained over 60 years of being addicted to Canadian politics.

Talk about what you'll do.
Talk about policy
Find out what your voters want.
Never forget that they vote for you to do what they want not what you want.

Mr. Harper should never have run as head of the Cons this election. He had become a lightening rod for what has made people mad.

He could have left as P.M., got any job he wanted, a big exciting convention for a new leader, then an election which they could have won.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 AM

I always aspired to be in politics, sat on 2 local board of directors, for my provincial party sand federal one, but decided to walk away. I actually regret it a lot. It's one of those careers that always was in the front of my mind, and now still lingers in the back. However, now doing the typical Alberta job of being away on rotation I don't think it could ever transpire now. Regrettably. I still find myself sat in front of Cpac watching the House of Commons arguing with the tv (myself)

Anyhow I'm rambling. You are correct, Harper (Love or hate him) couldn't win this election. The media wanted him gone and now as everything is media related it wasn't hard for them to push their agenda, plus as you mentioned he was the publics lightning rod.

I fully agree. Should have stepped down pre election and had a fresh face to run a brand new campaign for the election.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 AM

Smile Don't give up

You'll have lots of chances to be a politician, I too wanted to try it and I did, 12 years and that was enough, but I did it and saw it as public service.

You should try too, the country needs new politicians all the time. There is no need for the vitriol and hate we sometimes see, politicians of all stripes are trying to run the government to satisfy their electors.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:53 AM

I think that Harper could have won a majority or at least a strong minority if he had stuck to the economy, his record, and foreign policy rather than trying to deflect the conversation onto an anti-muslim and terrorist subjects.