Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2015, 08:51 AM

Default Well drilling/geothermal power

OK. I'm not somebody in the know, I've read a bit, and I'm curious. Canada has not developed any of it's geothermal energy potential (I'm talking commercial generation, not home heating). I understand there is regulatory, investment etc. issues. My question is a little more simple for those on the drilling side of the oil industry.

What sort of temperatures do our rigs see at the bottom of their drilling cycles? Is it even recorded?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 09:30 AM

Temperatures depend on depths of the target zone which varies a lot in the oil & gas industry. I am not on the drilling side so I'm not 100% if during open hole logging the temperature is recorded. I do know that the programs I see all the time on the completions side give a estimated bottom hole temperature.

The temperature I see on programs are typically between 85C and 115C. We are talking 2800m to 3500m in depth typically.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP View Post
Temperatures depend on depths of the target zone which varies a lot in the oil & gas industry. I am not on the drilling side so I'm not 100% if during open hole logging the temperature is recorded. I do know that the programs I see all the time on the completions side give a estimated bottom hole temperature.

The temperature I see on programs are typically between 85C and 115C. We are talking 2800m to 3500m in depth typically.
So you might see boiling temps. Good for heating I would guess.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:38 AM

The gradient is 25C/km. Then you add your mean annual surface temp (4C in Canada)

So 3 km down its about 79C

Most wells in on are around 2500-3500m TVD so anywhere from 66.5C-91.5C
Old 10-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Banned

i know how much it cost me to drill my water well to 150' i can't imagine how much it costs to go to 3500m!
Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 AM

Pretty much all directional/horizontal drilling tools monitor and transmit real time temp data from downhole as the well is drilled. 90-100C is the upper end in western Canada for the most part.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:52 AM

My area has a very thin crust and huge potential for geothermal power production. The town has been trying to get the ball rolling for years now but the govt. are really dragging their feet. The Chinese have shown interest in the last year so am hoping that somebody actually pulls the trigger on this as this is clean energy and the outflow from the power plant can be used to fuel a hotsprings tourist attraction.

check this out:
http://www.gunpointexploration.com/_...Ghomshei-1.pdf