Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-04-2015, 12:37 PM

Default Need advice on a Bow float this week

Hi all,

A friend and I are planning a float on Thursday or Friday. Not sure if we should float Policeman to McKinnon: Is the flow too slow making it be a very long day? Are mornings a waste of time because the water is colder?

Or from somewhere in the city to Policeman: Is that enough to fill a nice day of fishing? Where exactly would you put in and at what time of the day?

Has anyone caught fish in the mornings or does fish start to feed only once the water warms up?

Thank you very much for your help!
Old 10-04-2015, 02:31 PM

Bwo nymphs (size 18-20 PT, bwo killers, tung studs) and a worm is likely going to get you the majority of your fish. Maybe swap out a bugger for the worm if you're not picking anything up. Swap out the bwo nymph for a boatmen if they're uninterested. If the afternoon gets really warm, small hoppers and a small tung stud dropper are usually a go to in sept/oct.

Fish the mornings, your float will be fine for distance so long as you're on the water by 8am, still gives you plenty of time to get out and work the juicy stuff. A lot of the fish sit in the faster choppy (2-3' deep riffles this time of year) sucking back the millions of tiny nymphs that are coming down the troughs.

Wish i was there, its the best time of year to fish the lower bow. Rainbows should be on fire.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:54 PM

Thank you very much bhflyfisher!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 AM

I'm looking to float the Bow in my kayak soon but don't want to go solo in case anything happens. Sent you a PM, would love to join you guys if possible.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Looking forward to hear the report