Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2015, 03:21 PM

Default Float tube questions from complete noob!

Hi everyone,
My amazing wife bought me a float tube for my birthday yesterday. I have done some reading about using one and understand most of it, and I am very excited about using it. However, I am bit unsure about the landing and handling of a fish while in the float tube. I understand that a landing net is pretty essential once you have the fish at the tube, but where do you guys/gals typically keep your rod once you have the fish. I can see myself causing the rod to fall into the water.
Any suggestions/tips/personal secrets would be great!
Thanks!
Jason
Old 09-20-2015, 04:21 PM

You can get a "Strap on"...

Rod holder that is :P

Scotty makes them as do a few other manufactures.

P

-Confucius
Old 09-20-2015, 05:12 PM

I just set it down right beside me.Tucked in between the tube and your leg. The point of the rod off to one side, so it doesnt get in the way.
Best way to find out what works for you is to just use it. Once you get familiar with it you will know what can go where, and what set up you like.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:55 PM

I just lay the rod in front of me with the real between my leg and tube. Keeps the rod out of the way while I deal with the fish. It is small enough you don't notice it. The best way to find out how to do it is to get in the water and try putting the rod down. You will find a way that is comfortable to you.

TF
Old 09-20-2015, 07:33 PM

Thanks everyone! Just will have to try it for myself. Think I will try the "rod tucked by leg" first. If not, will look into a holder.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:18 PM

What kind of tube do u have. Dounut ,
Pontoon float,
I been using tubes since 1984 and I like
The pontoon float tube...., easy acess, room behind u for storage and place
To put your rod
Old 09-20-2015, 11:54 PM

I got a Fish Cat 4, as it was in our budget, light enough to hike around, and seemed like a good started tube. I have yet to try it out, hoping next weekend if its nice. It might take some time and some experimenting to see what will be the best fit for me. I like the idea of being out of the water, hence the Fish Cat and not a belly boat.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 AM

I made a good choice u can set your rod behind u
Without worrying about losing it. I carry three extra
Rods with me have them in half. Can switch very quickly
Old 09-21-2015, 07:07 AM

Make sure you pick up a good set of Fins before you head out unless you already have some.
Wayne
Old 09-21-2015, 09:14 AM

Default Float tube questions from complete noob!

I have 2 sets of fins. One set that attaches to my wading boots and another is a scuba set. I thought about trying the scuba set as some people online said they prefer those and less chance of falling off.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:59 AM

Don't forget your fins, use a proper rod holder, don't go over to the other side of a larger lake, even if it doesn't look that far, even when the wind is right for the return as you leave, it will switch directions when it is time to come back. You will probably have a snooze in your couch on the water, that is why you need the rod holder.
An anchor is a good idea too. Whilst having your snooze, the wind will blow you to the other end/side of the lake, and a big fish will slam your rod somewhere in the course of that snooze. I have heard many screams of anguish from those who lost their rod and had a sinking line on it. With a floating line, you may stand a chance of recovery, if you didn't float out to a deep spot.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:57 AM

Once you land a fish it is important to strip some line out before unhooking it once it's in the net. If the fish somehow gets away, you time to try and get a handle on your rod
Old 09-21-2015, 12:46 PM

Get some big dive fins.
Get an 8lb rubberized dumbbell from Walmart and some 5/16" rope for an anchor.
Tie another rope around back of tube to secure anchor rope to.
There is a strap that supports your seat backrest on your tube, when landing a fish you can lay your rod along your leg and hook your reel around this strap to secure the rod.
Secure your net with 3-4ft of cord to your tube somewhere.
Get a dry bag to hold extra gear in the space behind your seat

Old 09-21-2015, 02:20 PM

Awesome! These were exactly the tips I was looking for. Great ideas! Much appreciated!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:21 PM

Beautiful pic Goldscud!!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:14 PM

New to float tube this year myself. I have a rod holder... the one from BassPro; wish I had held out/looked longer for the Scotty one, as it looks to be much better built. Never really happy with my rod in the holder, as it seemed like it wouldn't take much to pop it out, and me without my strap-on would be bad news. Last outing, I was moving spots at one point, feeling the burn in my legs as I was moving a pretty good clip, and was trailing 10 yards of line or so. Had my rod laying across my "lap", with the reel off to my left and the middle of the rod resting up against the rod holder on my right pontoon. Was busy digging both hands in my fly box, when be darned if I didn't have a fish on. It took up several yards of line before I realized what was happening and then managed to grab my rod. After about 10 seconds, it was off... never really did set the hook, so not surprising. My first trout while trolling I think if I had the rod in the holder while this was going down, it may have ended much worse.

Another part of the gong show last time I was out... I found landing quite a challenge, especially the time when my "quick-release" indicator wouldn't release. I had a 14' leader on, my rod extended as high and as far behind me as possible, and a fish just beyond the tip of my toes on my bottom fly that I couldn't convince to my net... luckily he eventually released himself when offered some slack. Hoping this float tube thing either gets easier, or Santa buys me a boat this year.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:20 PM

Lol. Thanks jgib01
Ya, the rod holder and landing issues are the things I know I will have to work out. I too am a bit nervous about the rod holder options. I can picture myself losing a rod "overboard" trying to fumble around at times.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 PM

I just use a corkie with a toothpick. With 20ft leaders you just land the toothpick first (pull from corkie) and then you land the fish. Once you get a hold of the corkie try and let the pressure off the fish and they will usually stop pulling....then you can pull the toothpick with your teeth. Often you can just corral the fish along the side of the tube to pull the hook out. I only use my net on fish over 3lbs or so
Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 AM

I picked up a Fish Cat 4 this season as well. You're going to love it. For what's it worth Jason, I feel the need for a rod holder to be a non issue. Just my opinion. What I have been doing is laying the rod behind the seat while a depart from shore. Let it lay perpendicular to you. While landing a fish, I lay it in betwen me and my stripping basket. As someone has mentioned before, just be sure you have enough line let out, so that your rod is still not fighting the fish once you've landed it. I have been attaching my net to the closest to the back D-Ring, so as to not have it floating too far that it will cause any tangles with a fish I may get close to the boat. Did you happen to buy the fish cat manual pump? It's a must IMO. Fills quick with the double action. As far as anchors go, I can't say much as I don't use one. As far as fins go, buy quality! I have a pair that had cheap plasitc buckles. I have since replaced them with actual scuba fin straps that are a lot more durable. Good luck out there!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Been using my force fins for 15 years
Best fins I've found pricey but great. Lot
Easier on the legs
Old 09-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Outcast has what looks like a Force Fin knockoff they started selling last year (for about half the price). Curious to know how they stack up against the real deal, if anyone has experience with them?

I do find the rod holder handy while launching and landing.

Last edited by jgib01; 09-23-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Dive fins will move you better in a big wind vs Force fins if you are planning to go somewhere quickly
Old 09-23-2015, 01:40 PM

Lose your 200-800.00+ rod when a fish hits, because you put it down beside you whilst fiddling with something quickly, or spend a few bucks on a rod holder that won't let the rod jump out? Seen it happen at least a dozen times and know more people that have done it, that I didn't see happen, I've had a couple of close ones myself.
A velcro strap would be better than nothing. Besides, rod holders are transferable to pontoons and boats as well. And really nice when using two rods in BC.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Outcast has what looks like a Force Fin knockoff they started selling last year (for about half the price). Curious to know how they stack up against the real deal, if anyone has experience with them?
I just bought some of the new Outcast fins, but I've only had them out twice, and I've never tried the actual Force Fin model before. Compared to the Caddis fins I'm replacing, the new Outcast fins move my Fishcat 4 noticeably easier than the old ones did. The new fins are stiffer and heavier than my Caddis fins are, something I considered for the lakes I hike with my gear to. I might get a chance to try the Outcast fins in the wind before the year is over, I hope they perform OK.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 AM

Sticking with the topic i hope.
Does stuff usually stay dry in the zippered pockets on the top side? If not what do you do to keep stuff in there dry?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 AM

Pockets are not waterproof, but tend not to get wet unless you splash water on them or it rains. Dry bag behind seat for things you want to keep dry...or inside your waders
Old 09-30-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Get some big dive fins.
Get an 8lb rubberized dumbbell from Walmart and some 5/16" rope for an anchor.
Tie another rope around back of tube to secure anchor rope to.
There is a strap that supports your seat backrest on your tube, when landing a fish you can lay your rod along your leg and hook your reel around this strap to secure the rod.
Secure your net with 3-4ft of cord to your tube somewhere.
Get a dry bag to hold extra gear in the space behind your seat

Ive had this same model for about 12 years now. Its been awesome for the small trout lakes. I used to live in BC so there was lots around. Bought the backpack straps for it and hiked into lots of lks too. Caught hundreds of fish from it! I would say forget the rod holder. I do the same as goldscud. Works great! Ive caught trout up to 8 lbs trolling like that. My 6 wt fly rod and reel doesnt have a tight enough drag to worry about a fish pulling your rod overboard. Its always the big one that catch u offguard eatin lunch or takin a leak. Yes takin a leak from these is doable with a little finesse. Anyways hope yours serves you as well as mine has served me.