Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Zeiss Service

Considering the many posts comparing the various brands of riflescopes, I decided to post this experience.

Years ago, maybe 25 or thereabouts, I purchased a Zeiss 8X56B T* P* binocular. The objective lens covers were too large yet it didn't really concern me because I never carried this glass with me while on foot. They were used only from the vehicle. Anyway, I'm now preparing for Namibia and fully intend to carry them with me at all times. Therefore, a protective cover for the objectives will be prudent.

Last Monday, I attempted to purchase some lens covers at P+D but there weren't any large enough. Today, I phoned Zeiss and inquired about some suitable covers. To make a long story short, despite knowing how long ago I had purchased the binos, Zeiss offered to mail me a set of new covers at no charge.

Bobby B.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 PM

I just got off the phone with Nikon Canada, trying to get replacement retractable eye cups for two pairs of Nikon Monarch binoculars. They wanted me to send them in for repair, but I said I just wanted to screw the new ones in myself. I explained to the lady that it would be cheaper for me to buy the parts(if they were available), than to ship 2 binoculars accross the country, and go without them for who knows how long. Eventually, she said she would talk to the tech. After 5 minutes, she said that the tech would try to order me 2 pair of eye cups from Japan, and they would be $10/pair, and maybe be in next week. That will be fine if it works. I know that other sport optics companies tend to send free replacement parts out to customers A.S.A.P. without question, so I was a little disappointed with Nikon in this regard. I think the Monarchs are a good bino for your money, with the exception of the crappy eye cups. I guess that I shouldn't have given Stinky Buffalo those 2 pair of old damaged Zeiss binos!
Old 09-26-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I guess that I shouldn't have given Stinky Buffalo those 2 pair of old damaged Zeiss binos!
Aww, don't beat yourself up over that, Big Bull!

Just got them back from Gentec (the Canadian Zeiss rep) today.

They said that since they were the East German (Jena) ones, that they couldn't repair them...

They did suggest (non-Zeiss) places that I could send them to... But I'm quite sure that there will be no warranty.

At least I got a nice letter from them describing the issues and my options, plus they didn't charge to ship them back to me, which I thought was classy.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:48 PM

Accidentally dropped my Bushnell Legend binoculars off a table onto the tiled floor. I snagged the strap and it was only about 2 feet but they landed right on the corner of the objective lens and the damage was pretty bad. Chipped/dislodged the lens, bent the body and the ring assembly that keeps it all together. The binos were a gift from my late mother so I felt bad and wanted to see if I could get them repaired.

Sent them to Bushnell Canada in July. Tried putting in my lab repair number on their website and it wouldn't work. Gave them a call yesterday and they informed me that their site was having some problems. The rep checked into the repair and informed me that they had done a "goodwill" repair and that they were at the warehouse waiting to be shipped...no charge.

Impressed with that kind of customer service. Will be buying a new Bushnell scope for my BLR next year just because of that.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:56 PM

I was in P&D the other day and I see all their new glass is tagged with 'no fault warranty' stickers. That inspires some confidence. I guess the Vortex warranty was eating a bit at their feet. Glad to see that the competition is working. I'd probably buy zeiss if I needed a new scope.