Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz001 View Post
Got my first bull with a bow sept.7 evening, it's been a long brutal quest for this guy, walking hundreds of miles , missed opportunities and many close encounters over the last 6 years, but I can't complain I didn't want it to come easy I wanted a public land elk west of rocky where others would say you had a better chance of winning the lottery, but I finally connected, I cut his fresh tracks in some mud and tracked him to where he went to bed so I backed off about 100 yards and let out a few chirps, moved ahead about 40 yards and waited maybe 10 minutes and heard him coming out into the cut block, he came right on a string to the location of my last calls , broadside at 20 yards, I was shaking like a leaf , nothing was right on my bow , I couldn't find my peep I couldn't get my kisser button in the right spot, but I got my stuff together and made a good shot and he didn't go 80 yards and tipped over , the rush of emotions of it all happening and my drive for this one moment and it all being over was intense , can't wait for next year to try for a bigger bull, and he is going to feed me and my family very well, probably won't even last the winter I love elk meat so much
Nice bull Buzz001, I really like his body color. Congratulations.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernelment View Post
This bull is an absolute giant and I too have heard many stories on where it came from I received the pics from a friend that says he knows him and confirmed south of GP , also have heard Athabasca and BC who knows ?
I heard several stories about where the bull was killed as well, but yesterday my next door neighbor showed me a picture of an elk that his son took with his phone, and then sent him . It was the 427 bull, and his son had actually witnessed the kill, that was made by his hunting partner. The bull was killed in Northwest Alberta, not far from the B.C. border.

I also received pictures sent to me from a friend that drew an antlered elk tag for the area around Suffield. He killed a 300 class bull out of a herd of about 200 animals. After 14 years of applying, he got excited, and shot one of the first mature bulls that he came across.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-09-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:29 AM

Any update on the calling action in the Valleyview/Peace River areas.....Thanks.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Any update on the calling action in the Valleyview/Peace River areas.....Thanks.
Last Wednesday and Thursday they were going good. This rain and winds have made everything silent.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Last Wednesday and Thursday they were going good. This rain and winds have made everything silent.
Thanks for the update Bassett. Heading up to that area Wednesday, the cooler forecast should help a bit....
Old 09-13-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update Bassett. Heading up to that area Wednesday, the cooler forecast should help a bit....
She's dropping to 2 over night soon apparently will keep you updated as it changes.. I did shoot a cow 2 days ago with my bow though.. never noticed the bull behind her Haha. He came in silent.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I also received pictures sent to me from a friend that drew an antlered elk tag for the area around Suffield. He killed a 300 class bull out of a herd of about 200 animals. After 14 years of applying, he got excited, and shot one of the first mature bulls that he came across.
If it is the same guy, he texted the pics to me and I asked if it was okay to post them here and he said " no sweat" so I put them on the Suffield update thread.
Nice bull for sure!
Cat
Old 09-13-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If it is the same guy, he texted the pics to me and I asked if it was okay to post them here and he said " no sweat" so I put them on the Suffield update thread.
Nice bull for sure!
Cat
It's a nice bull, especially for his first, but after 14 years of waiting, I had hoped that he would hold out for a bigger bull. Then again, I have hunted with him long enough to know better.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
She's dropping to 2 over night soon apparently will keep you updated as it changes.. I did shoot a cow 2 days ago with my bow though.. never noticed the bull behind her Haha. He came in silent.
Congrats on tagging out! Did you find the elk more responsive to cow calls or bugles on your hunt?
Old 09-13-2015, 11:39 PM

Valleyview area,
I bugled a 6 pt bull out of the timbers east of Valleyview Sunday last week, 7pm.
He was accross a creek ravine and came just below the treeline but came no further.
150 yds was as close as I could get, hillsides were barren and I had no cover to move in on him.
Cool that he answered every bugle or chuckle I made, I mixed in cow chirps too.
All his answered were chuckles and no full bugles.
He just kept raking his rack on a bush. cell pic was all I could get.

TBark
Old 09-14-2015, 01:56 AM

Default Wmu 422

Were heading into 422 next weekend to see if we can find a Bull for my son. he used up 8 yrs priority and the Elk are few and far between.
the good news is his tag is good until the end of November and we plan on getting out a few times to giver a go..
Anyone travelling into the area looking for Sheep or whatever , we would appreciate any PM info on what you may be seeing for anything in the 6 point category ..
Thanks.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:34 AM

I shot a 5x5 with the bow on Thursday...he came in fast and silent, not a word from him.

Friday while checking cams...I got within bow range of another 5x5 and a smaller raghorn feeding and scrapping together.

There was a mature bull bugling in the distance right before dark.

LC
Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Congrats on tagging out! Did you find the elk more responsive to cow calls or bugles on your hunt?
The few bulls I got to respond were to soft bugles. They wouldn't respond to any of my cow calls.

Called in a nice bull and 2 cows this morning to bugles as well. Could have just been a coincidence as they came in silently like lefty stated.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:23 PM

Was on the east side of Livingston Range last weekend...nothing going at all...mind you it was +28
Old 09-14-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
The few bulls I got to respond were to soft bugles. They wouldn't respond to any of my cow calls.

Called in a nice bull and 2 cows this morning to bugles as well. Could have just been a coincidence as they came in silently like lefty stated.
Good to hear Bassett, thanks for the update!! Can't wait to get up there.....