Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2015, 08:26 AM

Smile Road hunting with a dog.

I took a friend hunting yesterday and all the dogs. I for the most part handled the dogs. There are lots and lots of ducks and it didn't take much to get these ducks.

The mother of the pups was the best dog I had, her mother is a finished dog too but some times obedience is optional. The pup although keen needs some training.

One question, when I sent the dogs for a shot duck they frequently brought back a unfledged duck. I hate that, but it happens. I just include the duck in my limit and move on.

These must be ducks from a second or third clutch I'm guessing. Is the thinking that these late chicks won't survive anyway so the September 1 st. opening doesn't really effect their chance of survival?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nursing 10 pups and retrieves 12 ducks.jpg (33.6 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Sienna and pups day 5.jpg (59.4 KB, 213 views)
Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I took a friend hunting yesterday and all the dogs. I for the most part handled the dogs. There are lots and lots of ducks and it didn't take much to get these ducks.

The mother of the pups was the best dog I had, her mother is a finished dog too but some times obedience is optional. The pup although keen needs some training.

One question, when I sent the dogs for a shot duck they frequently brought back a unfledged duck. I hate that, but it happens. I just include the duck in my limit and move on.

These must be ducks from a second or third clutch I'm guessing. Is the thinking that these late chicks won't survive anyway so the September 1 st. opening doesn't really effect their chance of survival?
Number of hunting days are set by agreement with countries involved. But , yes, there was either a very late hatch or a second hatch this year. The dog hasn't found any unfledged ducks, but we have only shot on or around the tiny potholes near the fields they are feeding in. Also, haven't seen or shot a juvenile snow yet, they just started arriving late last week, but according to CWS they had a very poor hatch up north
Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 AM

Default Wavies are arriving in numbers

They are high over the house but aren't riding a north wind so they may hang around. The rub is and it is a big one, the fields have puddles and the farmers can't get on with the harvest. Some of the crops are still green.

I don't recall anything like this.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Your dog retrieving unshot, unfledged ducks doesnt sit well with me....maybe choose a location with less immature birds. Im sure that is breaking some kind of law under the migratory bird act.

It doesnt just "happen"....ive shot hundreds of different ponds and never had a dog return with an unfledged duck.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Your dog retrieving unshot, unfledged ducks doesnt sit well with me....maybe choose a location with less immature birds. Im sure that is breaking some kind of law under the migratory bird act.

It doesnt just "happen"....ive shot hundreds of different ponds and never had a dog return with an unfledged duck.
Exactly what "law" would his dog be breaking? It is an open season - there is nothing in the regs about dogs or the age of the ducks. If someone wanted a basket full of soft-downy-yellow ones, they are legal to take.

Densa44 is including them in his bag limit, so what's the problem?

As for your dogs never bringing you birds other than those you shot.... well, maybe your labs can only smell bloody, shot-up birds....
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Exactly what "law" would his dog be breaking? It is an open season - there is nothing in the regs about dogs or the age of the ducks. If someone wanted a basket full of soft-downy-yellow ones, they are legal to take.

Densa44 is including them in his bag limit, so what's the problem?

As for your dogs never bringing you birds other than those you shot.... well, maybe your labs can only smell bloody, shot-up birds....
you win....fill your boots
Old 09-09-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post

I don`t see the problem if he is including them in his bag. You aren`t allowed to disturb nesting birds. I have never seen this situation but some time strange things happen in the wild.
It is open season .... I don`t know why you are getting your shorts in a knot !!
Old 09-09-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerman View Post
I don`t see the problem if he is including them in his bag. You aren`t allowed to disturb nesting birds. I have never seen this situation but some time strange things happen in the wild.
It is open season .... I don`t know why you are getting your shorts in a knot !!
agree to disagree. if its fun for you and legal, have at it. Good luck OP, im sorry i said anything