Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-22-2015, 08:22 PM

Question 5 yard increments on sight pins?

Anyone ever try setting their sight pins at 5 yard increments? I'm contemplating trying it out but concerned the pins will be too close to use well. If someone can share from experience on it, I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking I'd try 30, 35, 40, 45, 50. Did some testing today: at 2 yards I can get away with using the 50 pin, 3-5 yards = 40 pin, 6-30 yards = 30 pin. My new 50 would be adjustable for anything beyond. If setting up in 5 yard increments makes it easier by not shooting pin gaps, then it sounds like a win(not that gaps are that bad). If the pins are too close for benefit then I'd rather not attempt it.
I suppose another option could be 30, 40, 45, 50, 55. Then my 55 would be used at 2, and it would adjust for longer.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 09:56 PM

Uhh....at 5-20 I'm hitting within an inch of poi with the same pin. Unless I build a fluoroscopic sight in which I can identify main arteries or heart chambers, it's good enough. At 2 yards I'm pretty sure the heart is bigger than the whole sight. Don't take straight down shots, if that's what you are thinking. Almost impossible to get both lungs.

On my 60 lb dxt I have 20-30-40-45-50 pins, when I went up in arrow spine and weight (to improve arrow flight and terminal performance) I found the pin gap was to large for 40-50-60, and the trajectory at 60 wasn't satisfactory.

At 55 lbs (loong time ago - shoulder injury) I had a 10 yard pin, kept it that way for years out of habit. Lefty and Neil convinced me to change, glad i did.

With the 70 lb viper, it's standard 20-30-40-50-60 yard pins.

Yes, the pins would be too close to be usable in 5 yard increments
Old 07-22-2015, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess it wasn't necessary to mention the 2 yard shot. Was just thinking about it because I was almost in that situation last fall and some discussions around 3d target distances brought up how things change up close. Not planning on straight down shots. I only want to take one I'm confident will kill quickly. Passed on a bull at 7 yards because I didn't like the angle he gave me. Would've been my first elk too.

I think I'll try the 30-55 combo. Have you tried dropping the 20 and starting with 30?
What initially got me thinking I don't need the 20 is this
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-0...ck-pinq-system

I wouldn't fully commit to the trick pin idea, nor give up my multiple pins, but it at least got me thinking about what would be most effective and fast for me. I'd basically have two pins for hunting out to 40 yards. I kinda thought lefty and Neil would be two people who would've chimed in with experience. Certainly they've been curious enough to try it???
Old 07-23-2015, 05:59 AM

Interesting article. He is talking about a theory called Point Blank Range (or PBR) that is well understood in the rifle world. Except PBR is considered to be +/-3 inches for a bullet. Holding "off the hair" has been considered a no no for a long time, for good reason. It requires a lot more practice than you would think. That's why we have mil-dot/bdc/adjustable turret scopes.

Recently, there has been a shift towards heavier arrows and the benefits associated with them in terminal performance....but slower speeds equal shorter PBR.

I did try once, long time ago, but my version of acceptable PBR is 5 inches and that only got me to 30 yards, with lighter arrows than I shoot now. Not for me.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 AM

Personally I use the 20yd pin more in hunting than the rest combined...

Neil
Old 07-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Personally I use the 20 yard pin more in hunting than the rest combined...

Neil
Pretty much the same thing for me as L.O.S.T. Of all of the big game animals I have taken with the bow the longest shot was 35 yards. 95% of them have been under 20 yards and I've been doing this since the 80's. I think having 5 yard increments would be a hassle especially when you're all wound up with an animal right in front of you and then having to determine which pin was which. I use a single pin adjustable now and that pretty much takes care of the guess work. I did how ever learn early on when I installed the single pin not to install it a week before the season opens. It was not enough time to practice.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 AM

I definitely pay attention to pbr when sighting in a rifle with a new load, so figured it may be worth paying some attention to in archery. I definitely would not feel confident I'd remember to aim at the belly level on an elk and I don't think I'd like aiming there. But, when I consider estimating ranges, the 30 pin seems more useful than the 20. Seems to cover a wider range accurately. I'll play around with it and report back here
Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 PM

Depends on how far out you want your sight... as you move sight out pin gap will widen...

I often use 20 35 50, close medium far, as for the very close shots... I had one friend of mine turn to me as I was videoing his first bear harvest when bear was at base of his tree and asked what pin to use.... I answered ALL of THEM.....
Old 07-23-2015, 12:38 PM

There has always been allot of discussion around pins and what set up to use. I will say this use whatever set up you are comfortable with and know you can/should make a clean ethical shot. If these means you use a 5,10,15,20,25 yard set up but never shoot passed that so be it. I personally use a 20,30,40,50,60 yard set up and have practiced enough that I am comfortable splitting pins as needed for certain distances.

Good luck out there the count down is on.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:39 PM

With a speed bow, 25,35,45,55,65 works well.

LC
Old 07-23-2015, 01:10 PM

Default Or go metric!

Distances 20 m, 30 m, 40 m, 50 m, and 60 m are approximately 22, 33, 44, 55, and 66 yards.

If you've sighted in at the SPFGA range, this is how you've set your pins - so be sure to set your rangefinder to meters, not yards.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post
Distances 20 m, 30 m, 40 m, 50 m, and 60 m are approximately 22, 33, 44, 55, and 66 yards.

If you've sighted in at the SPFGA range, this is how you've set your pins - so be sure to set your rangefinder to meters, not yards.
Hmmmm...... interesting point.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:16 PM

I actually do use m as well but wasn't going to bring it up Never been to spfga, but I'm moving to sp so I might look into it.
I really don't think 5 10 15 20 25 is possible, because the 5 pin (and possibly 10) will be below the 25. Not sure why you would suggest that. I mentioned before my goal is to find something that is fastest and most effective for me. It may end up being something obscure like a 28 pin for 5-35 yards, then jump to 40 and from there on out decide later based on trial
Old 07-23-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I actually do use m as well but wasn't going to bring it up Never been to spfga, but I'm moving to sp so I might look into it.
I really don't think 5 10 15 20 25 is possible, because the 5 pin (and possibly 10) will be below the 25. Not sure why you would suggest that. I mentioned before my goal is to find something that is fastest and most effective for me. It may end up being something obscure like a 28 pin for 5-35 yards, then jump to 40 and from there on out decide later based on trial

Valid point. It was more to suggest everyone has there own set up that works for them and while suggestions are great you should do what feels right to you. Will be interesting to hear your feedback from your tests.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 PM

Ah, I see. Makes sense
Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 PM

Ill throw in a twist...

If your a tree stand/ground blind hunter...and 99% of your shots will be 18-30 yards, you may opt to go for a single pin set at 25 yards.

Typically, you'll be 1" high at 18, and 1" low at 30. Dial in your 25 yard pin to be bang on, and regardless of what walks by between 18-30 yards....you'll always be within 1 inch of where you aim. Man, if 90% of us can hit within 1" of where we aimed in the heat of the moment, thats pretty darn good.

Less pins too look at and less "mental gymnastics" trying to figure what pin to use.

Just throwing out an option for you. Worked for me for years. Still does.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post

We tried outdoor ranges in Meters twice since Canada went metric, as most of the worlds archery ranges are in yards...

Although as mentioned above some of the yardage may be benificial to some, the majority always had judging problems with the metric, maybe most were old school...
That and the fact the US is still in yards ...as a result we still have most ranges in metric.

I found the transition easy as long as one shot on the outdoor ranges often...and we didnt have range finders then...

18 meter ranges are easy as thats 20 yards...gets a little more complicated after that if you are trying to compensate back and forth between standard and metric...

Neil
Old 08-13-2015, 11:14 PM

Well I changed my sight and played around a bit with some different pin yardages/gaps.
5 yard increments made it tough to see the target and when the pins were bright, the starbursting (or however you would describe it) was more difficult to deal with. I ended up setting my pins at 30 40 50 60 70. I forgot to take a pic of it, but the 30 pin hit highest around half that distance and was maybe 4" high iirc.
The new sight is adjustable (cbe tek hybrid) and I DID take the pic of my "group" I shot tonight. I started at 70 for the first shot, then walked closer and dialed the range with my bottom pin to shoot 3 more arrows, at 55, 32, and 15 (using laser rangefinder for determining yardages)
I feel pretty confident I can use my dial or the 30, 40, 50 pins. Had I been thinking about when I put the sight tape on, I'd probably prefer cutting it so the numbers were on the other side of increments so that the needle would be closer to the lines.
It's fun playing with the dial at 50-100 yards on the target. (PS: I'm shocked and impressed by some of the groups in the 100 yard challenge, especially now that I've attempted that range)

Old 08-14-2015, 07:45 AM

Good Job Sir...consistant good job too!!!

Neil
Old 08-14-2015, 06:08 PM

Thank you. It's kinda funny to me that the high one (slightly furthest out) was the 32.
It's amazing what a good tune (thank you Neil!) and getting rid of a peep sight will do for a person's shooting.