Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 09:25 PM

Default Kicker Motor Help!!!

Hello Everyone, I am 2 weeks away from getting my new OS boat and have a serious problem. I have a F250 Yamaha main and went with a T25 High Trust Yamaha kicker because of the extra alternator output I need to run all the electronics and a bit more kick when in rougher water etc. and just found out the trollmaster I had ordered for the kicker will not work on any yamaha kicker bigger then 15hp. This is a huge problem for me as the entire boat is NMEA2000 connected to my main HDS12 and I really would hate to be using my rear helm station to control my kicker. I have the Lowrance auto pilot for both motors and do not want to be controlling my speed at the helm station when I am in autopilot trolling through all the way points. Does anyone know of any other trolling speed controller that will work on a T25 Yami?? iTroll and ControKing do not seem to be compatible either Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:23 PM

Sorry, can't help you but all that equipment you listed sounds very cool and expen$ive!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:02 PM

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...s-25-hp.html#b

Here's a thread ...... might help. I didn't read it all ..... but looks like a similar question/issue. This is also a good forum.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:15 PM

One other thought - Seastar connecting rod from main and use a autopilot from the main?

I think - just reading a bunch of stuff that Yami 25 hT is pretty heavy limiting your options.

I'm sure you are not the first to run into this.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:33 PM

Thanks I will check it out.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanFrank1976 View Post
Hello Everyone, I am 2 weeks away from getting my new OS boat and have a serious problem. I have a F250 Yamaha main and went with a T25 High Trust Yamaha kicker because of the extra alternator output I need to run all the electronics and a bit more kick when in rougher water etc. and just found out the trollmaster I had ordered for the kicker will not work on any yamaha kicker bigger then 15hp. This is a huge problem for me as the entire boat is NMEA2000 connected to my main HDS12 and I really would hate to be using my rear helm station to control my kicker. I have the Lowrance auto pilot for both motors and do not want to be controlling my speed at the helm station when I am in autopilot trolling through all the way points. Does anyone know of any other trolling speed controller that will work on a T25 Yami?? iTroll and ControKing do not seem to be compatible either Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
I wish I had your problems!

Sounds like a great set up. Show us some pictures when you get it all set up.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:47 PM

iboats.com They have a few and one should work for you.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:05 PM

Thanks Troller, I have still not had any luck iboats.com sells the Trollmaster I had already ordered.. Only good up to 15hp Yamaha.. Still searching
Old 08-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Banned

I hated the Auto pilot.. Always so noisy .
Besides, someone should always be at the helm.

I know, tougher to do, but worth it.

Your rear helm is made for the kicker. Use it.
Jamie
Old 08-09-2015, 04:00 PM

Hey Jamie, I hear you bro but I am using the Lowrance Autopilot controlled from my hds12 and isn't to noisy at all. I fish Kootaney, Arrow and Kinbasket a lot and autopilot is the only way to go, especially when you set the zig zag pattern it can't be beat I also will be doing 3-4 coastal trips a year and this is where the rear helm will come into play more as there is a lot more boat traffic in some of the places we go.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:09 PM

Hey Positrac, yes it is quite the boat and have two years of planning into it.. I pick it up in just over a weekHere is a picture of it being built at the Kingfisher factory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2120.jpg (61.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Somehow it is upside down.. wtf???
Old 08-09-2015, 04:24 PM

That's much better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2120.jpg (62.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 08-09-2015, 05:38 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What else can you say
Old 08-09-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Somehow it is upside down.. wtf???
it is upside down ......They built the boat wrong !!!!!!!! lol.

Just teasing .....

Beautiful Boat ....... My favorite brand of large tinner ...... you will love it.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Thanks EZM If I say I'm a bit excited that would be the understatement of the decade
Old 08-10-2015, 06:53 PM

wonder if you can find a way to run with the 15hp yammy. offset by gen or other way to extend battery life? just a thought. my buddy has close to the same boat, not so heavy on the electronic goodies lol, run out in kootenay all the time, just slick, only difference I can see is his back has a sliding door. luv the heat it puts out in the late fall
gorgeous outfit, big congrats, all in or go home
Old 08-10-2015, 07:38 PM

Thanks Pixel I agree All-in or Go home.. Though my wife had a different opinion on that I been working with Jones Boys and the Yamaha Rep and they are going to modify the Trollmaster somehow to work.. Fingers crossed.. I had to go with the T25 for the extra alternator output plus the extra kick for the coast in rougher water. T15 great if it was just strictly for trolling and a few electronics. I have to run the hds12, remote ipad at rear helm, the vhf radio, the stereo, 4g radar, macerator pump for the head, lights and 2-big 2116 downriggers so didn't want to take the chance with a small kicker..
Old 08-10-2015, 08:15 PM

While I don't know for sure but it it's the extra power you want would you not be better off with a generator? The extra out put of the T25 is only 70 watts while a very small generator will give 600 to 1000 watts and use very little gas doing it.

Not sure if the couple of extra horse power is worth it either as far as control goes in bad weather. I usually just see 9.9's and the odd 15 as kickers on boats your size but again here I don't know for sure as I have never met anyone with a 25 that I could ask.

Either way it is a beautiful boat and I wish you calm waters and good fishing.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 PM

Hi cube, thanks for the insight Yamaha next smallest kicker that is high trust is the T9.9 and only puts out 6 amps. The T25 puts out 13.5 amps which is a huge difference. The 15hp Yamaha is not a high trust but puts out 10amps which would be border line to run the set up I have and keep my batteries maintained. High trust kickers are lower geared with larger prop and provide much better control of your boat at lower rpms. The whole point of the larger kicker/alternator is to keep your batteries charging at 14.4 volts anything less will start to drain the amp hours, which is the amount of power the batteries actually have. I actually own an electrical company and know quite a bit on amperage and wattage
Old 08-11-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Hi cube, thanks for the insight Yamaha next smallest kicker that is high trust is the T9.9 and only puts out 6 amps. The T25 puts out 13.5 amps which is a huge difference. The 15hp Yamaha is not a high trust but puts out 10amps which would be border line to run the set up I have and keep my batteries maintained. High trust kickers are lower geared with larger prop and provide much better control of your boat at lower rpms. The whole point of the larger kicker/alternator is to keep your batteries charging at 14.4 volts anything less will start to drain the amp hours, which is the amount of power the batteries actually have. I actually own an electrical company and know quite a bit on amperage and wattage
At trolling speeds will the 25 actually put out more amps than the 9.9? Given the 25, at trolling speeds, will be running less than half the rpms of the 9.9 it might be that it only gives off the same amount of amps as the 9.9,(given the output is rpm related).

I certainly hear you about your concern on current draw on your boat. My usual first question to reps is how much does it draw and it always amazes me that no one ever seams to know. I guess there is just a couple of us who care.

Hope to see some of your picks after you get your boat. Good fishing to you.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 PM

Could always let the 250 idle periodically to give a little extra boost charging.
15 gives 10 amps only 3.5 less than the 25. How much does the 250 put out.
Also could add extra battery or 2.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:50 PM

Hey huntsfurfish, I do have the dual batteries. The F250 puts out 70amps which is tons. The alternator output will be the same whether you are idling or full rpm. When you are using a lot of electronics and the downriggers all the time the key is to keep your charging voltage at 14.4volts. The lower the amperage your alternator puts out, the harder it is for it to maintain the proper re-charging voltage of your batteries. This is the whole point of going with a bigger kicker or alternator. I will definitely post some pics of the finished boat when I get back next week
Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 PM

Hey cube, the alternator output will be the same whether you are idling or full rpm. When you are using a lot of electronics and the downriggers all the time the key is to keep your charging voltage at 14.4volts. The lower the amperage your alternator puts out, the harder it is for it to maintain the proper re-charging voltage of your batteries. This is the whole point of going with a bigger kicker or alternator plus the extra kick in bigger waters. Just like in your vehicle. If its night time and you have all your lights on stereo etc it makes no difference if you were parked for 10 hours as long as your alternator is working properly and has the sufficient ampacity to keep your batteries charged. There is voltage regulators that manage this. If there wasnt when you drove your car at 3-4000rpm your headlights would be 3x brighter