Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Kitimat Chums: 9wt or 10wt

I'm not much of a fly fisher, but sockeyes and pinks on a fly rod, what a hoot! Did that on an 8 wt. I see some recommend an 8 wt for chums but that seems ridiculous, had our hands full with the regular/big Kitimat chums on Med/Hvy spinning gear, couldn't imagine a big chum on an 8 wt. So should I be fishing a 9 or a 10 wt?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:12 AM

I use a 10 foot 8 weight no problem
Just don't horse them u be fine
I use the same rod on springs and have no issues
Old 05-20-2015, 12:55 PM

X2 . I do exactly the same for Springs
Old 05-22-2015, 07:51 AM

IMO 8wt is way too light. Sure you CAN catch them with an 8wt, but you end up playing bigger fish a lot longer and the chance of reviving them goes down. I used to fish the pinks with a 7wt and hooked the odd chum while doing so, not ideal for bigger fish. I switched to an 8wt for pinks for C&R, and I use my 11wt for chum. I have foul hooked a good number of chum on the fly over the years and on a light weight rod you will loose lots of gear.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I'm not much of a fly fisher, but sockeyes and pinks on a fly rod, what a hoot! Did that on an 8 wt. I see some recommend an 8 wt for chums but that seems ridiculous, had our hands full with the regular/big Kitimat chums on Med/Hvy spinning gear, couldn't imagine a big chum on an 8 wt. So should I be fishing a 9 or a 10 wt?
next time i'm in hays(this fall). i'll bring you the latest sage 7wt double handed rod, complete with reel. all set up!

i'll trade you spey casting lessons along with the rod, for some coyote trapping tips.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Banned

Marty:

Do you ever hit the Kitimat River in the fall for steelhead?

I am told if you use a Spey setup in the fall you should start taking up jogging right now to keep up with those monsters.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:32 PM

Most current rods are way underlined. The taper/action of the rod is probably more important than the line weight. First thing I'd look at is what fly and how deep am I going to need to get it. Then pick a line and rod to match. Spey or switch really is the way to go up there if you have that option. Wether your single hand or double you'll want a rod with lots of back bone. They are big tough fish and will often do a lot of running and jumping, which is why they are so much fun on a fly rod. I prefer a softer tip and slower action than you'll find on most modern salt water rods which are notorious for tennis elbow. There are lots of good rods out there, just don't be afraid to over line them one or two line weights to get a comfortable action that you can cast all day without hurting yourself. If they're in and you find them it will make for some of your more memorable fishing days. I'm heading back up there again this year. That whole area is a fishermans dream come true. Best of luck to you!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:42 PM

Never felt under gunned with an 8wt with chum
Old 05-24-2015, 01:06 AM

I have tangled with Chum on an 8wt. Amazing fish. I do not feel the rod is as critical as a reel with a good drag.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:10 AM

I've also used an 8 wt for chum..... no problems.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:49 AM
AO Sponsor

I guess I'll try it, this really surprises me. I can see it for a lot of the smaller chums, but the big ones, the 20+ pounders I thought would be too much fish for an 8 wt. I had a 25 lb + chum on a 7 foot ugly stick once that was way too much fish for the rod, I almost won the battle and it was extremely hard to work the fish, didnt help that there was an island in the middle of the river.

Quite the animal!

I am talking the fresh chums, not the ones that have been laying in the river for a couple weeks.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:19 PM

I've used both a 9 and a 10 on chums in the Kitimat, and while both rods handled the fish well, I would not want to go much lighter. There are some big powerful fish in that river.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I guess I'll try it, this really surprises me. I can see it for a lot of the smaller chums, but the big ones, the 20+ pounders I thought would be too much fish for an 8 wt. I had a 25 lb + chum on a 7 foot ugly stick once that was way too much fish for the rod, I almost won the battle and it was extremely hard to work the fish, didnt help that there was an island in the middle of the river.

Quite the animal!

I am talking the fresh chums, not the ones that have been laying in the river for a couple weeks.
Grown up fishing salmon and could not even tell you how many I have landed on a fly rod.

As a teen I actually used a 5wt because it was all I had landed a ton of chums with that rod and only broke it by stepping on it. Personally I like a 7-8wt and would never consider it under gunned. Many fly fishermen use an 8wt in the lower mainland rivers for salmon.

I have caught salmon in many rivers along the West coast from Terrace south and I am not talking about old spawners.

If you are concerned bring out all your rods and find what fits your personal needs

Truth is this is no different than talking rifles some will take a whitetail with a 243 and others think they need a 300 mag

Have a good trip and best of luck
Old 05-24-2015, 08:31 PM

If I had to guess, I would say that 75% of the chum I have caught in the Kitimat river would be over 20lbs. The part of the river I usually fish coupled with fresh fish, it would be crazy to tackle them with an 8wt. If that's all you have with you for a rod then it would be tough but fun. I use my 8wt for pinks and coho all day long. Its a bit over kill for pinks but just perfect for coho. If you were going to go and buy a rod for chum/springs I would suggest 10wt or 11wt with a large arbor reel. Doubles as a tarpon rod too!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM
AO Sponsor

Maybe I should have added that I have little experience handling large fish that rip obscene amounts of line off the fly reel! Sure caught a few trout and whitefish before but whoopteedoo!!! Nothing like having a real fish on the end of the line!

I suspect that with low fly rod fighting experience that I should go a little heavier and graduate to the 8?

I've not yet targeted steelhead. Limited opportunity, I go once a year, usually bar fishing the Skeena but the Kitimat and it's chums are instant action and much cheaper for a group of less serious fishers to take to.

What kind of line should I be using in the Kitimat for these chums? Show me your favorite flies?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 PM

The biggest secret is length more then weight
For example 8 weight 9 foot hard time on chum
Now a 10 foot 8 weight a lot easier to handle
Now let take my Spey rod it's 12 feet 4 inch. 8 weight well it
Now really easy to land them
Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 PM

ive fished there a few times mostly offshore but i used some pink san juan worms and bottom bounced for dolly varden if the chum arent running and i do have a 13 foot 9/10 weight spey rod which will chuck anything you can tie on its nice to roll cast with when you are surrounded by thick bush nice when you want to reach the other side of the river