Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 08:05 PM

Default happy day today

Got a check in the mail from the last sale and checked my rat traps and was 19 out of 26 on my traps I put out last night It was a good day
Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Banned

From the last NAFA auction, Nube? I thought that they weren't going to be issued until the 22nd.

My account is showing a cheque dated 22 April. Gotta get the mail now....lol.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:17 PM

Smile Auction Check

Received mine today April 17 th . Will invest some in more snare supplies .
Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 AM
AO Sponsor

Nube, how many traps do you usually run? What's a normal % success rate with your lathe system?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Got a check in the mail from the last sale and checked my rat traps and was 19 out of 26 on my traps I put out last night It was a good day
Do you mind sharing what your average prices were?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Nube, how many traps do you usually run? What's a normal % success rate with your lathe system?
Not sure what the success rate is but I would say it would be around %60 or better. I picked up 11 today in 26 traps but this is also my 3rd check in those places. I have one spot that in three checks and three traps I went 3/3 , 2/3, and 2/3. This last check was also not as good because it was real windy and I had a few traps knocked off the nails from the waves and I also noticed my bait was all shriveled up because of the heat and warm weather. I find my setup to be high success all the time for the ease they are to put up. I will try and get a few pics on here tonight.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwkirby View Post
Do you mind sharing what your average prices were?
About the same as everyone else.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 PM

K here are a few pics I took the other day. I pulled my traps today and wish I would have taken a few more pics.
Took the tail gate shot before my last stop so I didn't have all of them in the pic or it would have looked pretty cool with a handfull more.

Got a Hat trick on this set. 3 for 3. It is a little waterway that is about 10 feet wide that goes from one large lake to a small pond. Water is flowing at a slow pace. I catch a ton of them here all the time. I should smarten up and put more traps there.

Here is 5 traps spaced out about 10 yards. It is on a big lake. I will catch 2-4 there every day. Then down about 400 yards down the lake I will have another 5-7 traps and catch about the same. There is no ryme or reason as to where on a lake or pond I put them. I find Muskrats are very curious to anything stickking out of the water and will investigate soemthing standing out in the water like this. Maybe it is the orange on the end of the stick? who knows? All I know is if there isn't a piece of carrot on the nail and I don't see a trap like the first stick I expect to have a dead rat on the bottom of the lake lol

Caught these 2 out of 3 sticks that were less than 4 feet across from each other next to a bank on a big slough.

Here is the stream of water that I was talking about earlier where I got the hat trick. Got 2/3 on this check. You can see the one on the bottom of the pond and kinda see the other in the far trap.

I think scent plays a big role in it as well. I tried toothpaste and it works but not as good as the stuff I buy. Here is my secret sauce
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eS..._ACHOFFMUSKRAT
Old 04-20-2015, 10:39 PM

Hay nube have you ever thought about securing your traps with fencing staples instead of nails so your trap chain isn't getting fouled be the wind or the wrong shake of a rat in your trapps,this should take care of your problem with minimal cost.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:42 PM

Awsome results though nube.thanks for always sharing your sucess it means a great deal to me and many others given your generouse nowledge to share with others i really look forward to your posts.thanks for taking the time.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 PM

Way to go Phil. Keep those pics coming. Very cool
Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 AM
Banned

Cool pictures
Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Banned

I said it before and I'll say it again Nube, I really enjoy your posts! Keep up the GREAT WORK!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Hay nube have you ever thought about securing your traps with fencing staples instead of nails so your trap chain isn't getting fouled be the wind or the wrong shake of a rat in your trapps,this should take care of your problem with minimal cost.
There might be a better way of doing things but really the system I have is easy and fast. It works well most times. It was just tough the other day with high winds and this put the trap in the water and then out with all the waves and splashing. Really wasn't mush I could do. Kinda like getting 2 feet of snow overnight on your coyote snares.
I really like the fiberglass poles and adjustment springs that Marty and other have posted earlier. The only thing I see that might not work well with those is there is not much visual for them to attract to. Hope I am wrong but I really feel a rat will inspect a stick that is sticking out of the water. Not sure if a fiberglass rod will be the same or not? I think that the setup is way better than what I got though if it works as well. Might be tough to put lure on a fiberglass pole as well. I'd like to know how you guys with the poles are doing?

Anyways I appreciate the comments guys. I am done for the season. Got 4 days of trapping in and got somewhere in the mid 50's for number of rats. Didn't have many traps out but just enjoyed the time out that I got.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 AM
Banned

I am already looking forward to your next trapping season! lol
Old 04-21-2015, 09:31 AM

Default Lathes

Looking good on the Springs Nube. Rats are done here, more than 1 in 4 are damaged now so I pulled for the year. I used your lathe system quite a bit this fall and spring. It works really well, but I found that any big rats with back foot catches had fur damage from the nails. I also used 1 1/2 LS, 1 1/2 Coils, stpls, pretty much every combo. The stop loss traps did not work well on this set. One suggestion I have for you is to add some red or orange duct tape to the top of the stick. Even if the bait is gone, the rats will keep going to the set to chew off the tape.

The sudden valley sets Marty showed us are the way to go. I just add a little pc of flagging just above the bait holder for an attractant. Rats love flagging!

Spruce
Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Looking good on the Springs Nube. Rats are done here, more than 1 in 4 are damaged now so I pulled for the year. I used your lathe system quite a bit this fall and spring. It works really well, but I found that any big rats with back foot catches had fur damage from the nails. I also used 1 1/2 LS, 1 1/2 Coils, stpls, pretty much every combo. The stop loss traps did not work well on this set. One suggestion I have for you is to add some red or orange duct tape to the top of the stick. Even if the bait is gone, the rats will keep going to the set to chew off the tape.

The sudden valley sets Marty showed us are the way to go. I just add a little pc of flagging just above the bait holder for an attractant. Rats love flagging!

Spruce
Good stuff Spruce. I found I had to us a finishing nail with a bigger head as I did get some odd damage your right. Not sure if I am getting damage from the nails or if they are just fighting that much. I actually had more beat up ones with old wounds this year than I ever have seen. I will try the flagging that is a great idea. I think I would try the fiberglass pole if I could find a place to buy all the stuff. If anyone has a place to buy the poles and trap holders let me know please
I find that it doesn't take long to drown a rat but those 1.5's would do a better job than the #1's I am using.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 PM

Of note, I ran #1's on all sets (with some weight added). Just dabbled with the 1 1/2's. Tend to only use the big stuff on floats (which I hate using).

Spruce
Old 04-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Banned

kILL EM ALLL
Old 04-21-2015, 10:19 PM

Got my check today boys, not too bad at all

At this rate I'll have my new line paid off in 2070 or so, as long as marten prices jump to $300 or so and Lynx go back up to $500-600
Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 PM

Got my cheque today as well! I was very happy with the last auction and I'm looking forward to reinvesting in trapping supplies.