Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
This guy is actually making a living scamming anyone he can , sells same gun multpule times , and is on many different gun sites! Very easy for rcmp to catch they don't bother to even investagate . I got scammed went to police there response is we can't do any thing! My response I'll see chat I can do. We to bank they said money was sent to royal bank down east ( of course) back to rcmp , nothing we can do! Went to library had a computer genius ( geek isn't rite word) gave him email adress and he sent email to me showing how this guy is bouncing his stuff around but was still able to show where his orignal internet provider is in Quebec and that his banking was probly done at either of the 2 banks closest to where he his internet provider is. Also bank manager of royal bank sad all rcmp had to do was get warrant and he would provide all information about that bank account every thing!!!
The RCMP are not even interested in catching people like this you can do all leg work and hand it to them and they do nothing !! He has as good busness going with the RCMP blessing !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

The bank should be able to track where the money went - if they care enough to do so. Did anyone ask the bank?

ya he tried and go nowhere perhaps if someone has access to this kind of stuff....
Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 PM

Is it possible to set up a bank account with proper identification????
Old 03-11-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
Here is the info he sent me.....

Greg Lee Smith
EDGEWOOD PLACE 20 Guy Savoie Drive
Winnipeg, MB R2J 3P1
204-817-4383

Attachment 104568
Did you notice the expiry date on that PAL is 5 years and 6 months from now. As I understand PAL is issued at 5 year intervals.
just saying
Old 03-11-2015, 05:51 PM

Default They can, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
There must be a way for the banks to trace where the EMT is being deposited to.
Due to privacy laws they need a warrant or court order to release the info. There is a civil procedure that can be used in Alberta - via the "attachment order" provisions of the Civil Enforcement Act (look it up at Queen's Printer). BUT one first has to issue a statement of claim in QB (Provincial Court Civil has no enforcement jusrisdiction), then apply with hard evidence of the fraud, and ask for an order directed to Bank X (and/or Y, Z, etc) to produce all records of accounts in the relevant name(s). And the banks will equivocate and obstruct as much as they can, simply because they don't want to do the work without being paid to do it, but, in the end, they cannot get around a court order. This is commonly used to trace and "freeze" any remaining account balances (of any kind) in employee fraud and similar cases, and/or to freeze them, or other assets, while the case makes its way through to judgment.
It is not practical for relatively small claims standing on their own, of course. But if one had enough contributories and total claims value to make it practical, and enough combined evidence, it would at the very least create a huge "hassle" for the perp, who now is "cut off" from doing business with the target banks. But if he has quickly moved the proceeds out of the country, it is of little ultimate recovery value.
The LEO's are VERY slow in such cases, even if the file ever makes its way to the top of the pile, which is not often, simply because they have not been given the resources to investigate the sheer volume of such matters. Sometimes, if the perp can be physically ID'ed as to location, etc., a good private investigator can turn up some assets for potential recovery. And/or the media can sometimes be convinced to take an interest and "out" the perp, at least, which increases his difficulty in scamming new victims. But, in a case such as this, the "per victim" amounts are such that all such efforts are only practical at all if the victims band together, hire a competent and determined lawyer to get after it, and are committed as a group.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:22 PM

Cheaper and more likely to hire a chap to fly over to said country with tin snips and a jar.
To cut the cord to his computer of course. Really?!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 PM

If anyone has been scammed by this exact person and Has not reported it to rcmp, please do like right now , the rcmp that I'm dealing with is getting pretty in depth with my case and she said there has only been like 1 reported. This Greg lee smith has been contacted ( the real guy) and has been contacted 4 times about this exact issue .. The more info the better people , track this guy down

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-12-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:53 AM

Well I'll be..........

I just started corresponding with a new guy on this site..googled his phone number and it came up with a hit to this thread....

I have more info if anyone wants it via PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
Well I'll be..........

I just started corresponding with a new guy on this site..googled his phone number and it came up with a hit to this thread....

I have more info if anyone wants it via PM.
Make it public, post it up. If it helps one person avoid being scammed, then it's worth it.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Make it public, post it up. If it helps one person avoid being scammed, then it's worth it.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Banned

How many here search a name or a phone number before they make a transaction?

Google on Greg Lee Smith - page one, link 3

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...Greg+Lee+Smith

Google on 204-817-5301 - page 1, link 7

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...q=204-817-5301

If the mods are ok with making the info public, do so. You will help someone else.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 PM

People he is now using my name : Dwight mc on here . He is still trying to sell guns to wtb adds . His email he is using is mc.dwight@hotmail.com, this was just pm Ed to me..

My name is Dwight Mcglynn and this "Greg lee smith" guy that just scammed me is using my info and most likely my pal

SO BE AWARE
Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 PM

How is he contacting guys on this site if he's not a member?????
Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM

He is a new member , going by the name : Dwight mc
Old 03-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
How is he contacting guys on this site if he's not a member?????
He creates an account, contacts his "victim" vis the email messaging option on here. Then all future communication is done through email. So when the mods do delete his account its too late. As he no longer needs to be a member to email.
Something like this. ^^^
Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 PM

Maybe it is time to put more restrictions on being able to access the classifieds. Needs to be member for 30 days to even view?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:11 PM

Btt

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:51 PM

Default rip off artists

Just spent a few hours on Thursday with rcmp and csis ,a guy tried to make a deal with me but somethings were not right, the area code sometimes 604 like bc and one time it was 60 4 and a few hours later +60 4,right after I seen the split area code I knew it was dirty,called the rcmp with the town on ID AND pal,they call me back right away and said they had five cases in bc up north and they have talked with the guy who's ID was emailed to me and he knew he was being used by a scammer.I call csis and told them my story.This guy I believe is in Malaysia or Nigeria the way he spelled and talked but because you speek differently was not what made me call csis it was the area code plus beside by his email was RIZING ARMS and they thought that was a bit odd also.BE VERY CAREFULL WHO YOU ARE DEALLING WITH THAT WAS THE 3 HITS IN ONE WEEK FOR ME,THE GUY ONLY HAS MY EMAIL AD AND I HAVE LEFT SOME THINGS ON HIS VOICE MAIL AND IF HE IS READING THIS AND DECIDES TO PURSUE ME FOR WHAT I SAID TO HIM ON THE PHONE HE IS MORE THAN WELCOME AND BRING AS MANY WITH YOU AS YOU WANT,,IF YOU THINK THAT YOU HAVE A BAD STREAK IN YOU GIVE ME A TRY , I WECOME YOU WITH MY BLESSINGS YOU SON OF A BITCH AND MAY GOD NOT BLESS YOUR SOUL.These guys are doing a lot more than just guns and they are cowardly theifs who hide behind computers, I am very new to computers but I am pure red neck to the core and the devil himself could show up at my door and i would welcome him in with a smile because I fear nothing.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-10-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 PM

You get scammed or u figured it out before ? Was the pal being used the Greg lee smiths or the Dwight Mcglynn ? The Dwight one Is my pal that they are using after I got scammed
Old 04-10-2015, 05:46 AM

He is now posting as obrownn. Beware people!
Old 04-10-2015, 06:54 AM

the web and internet is a great way to search for things, but there is also a lot of scammers out there so it's the old scenario, buyer beware, deal in person or with someone you trust or risk your money
Old 04-10-2015, 11:17 AM

Default scammers

I wrote a post on the 29 of march,and may have been a little to outspoken about these scammers,phone calls and treath's were made telling me what was going to happen to me and my family and it bothered me a lot,all I meant was that if you follow throw with your threats I will have no chioce but to defend my self and let know one in any way harm me or my family.I do not wish to bring any harm what so ever to any human and have the greatest respect for human life.Their is a file on this or these guys with the rcmp and they are trying to find these scammers .But like I said before think check every detail on the person you are dealing with and take your time it's only a gun or scope. If my language was not appropriate, I apologize.Their are plenty of good people here on alberta forum and is one of the most secure sites to buy and sell on but once in awhile these rippoff artists come around and a had bad week with more than one crook and not on this site but this site is the one willing to help others and tell their story, that is why I pick it .

THANKS AND TAKE CARE