Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-12-2015, 11:53 AM

Default Bodygrip preferences??

Afternoon,
Wondering what brand of bodygrip traps the longliners and high volume trappers prefer and why.Specifically for beaver/lynx, and Marten/Fisher.
Also, how are the Victor rat traps working for Ermine,good job? Or should a guy consider something like the Koro traps if you plan to catch them in numbers?
Thanks' in advance,Ken
Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Afternoon,
Wondering what brand of bodygrip traps the longliners and high volume trappers prefer and why.Specifically for beaver/lynx, and Marten/Fisher.
Also, how are the Victor rat traps working for Ermine,good job? Or should a guy consider something like the Koro traps if you plan to catch them in numbers?
Thanks' in advance,Ken
I'm a huge fan of the Sauvageau 2001-5 for marten/fisher. The big 2001-12 is great for beaver as well as Lynx (overkill I know)
They are pricey but last and are very powerful. I also like the thicker bars and have never had marks on my marten or fisher. A little pricey but you get what you pay for.

Next in line for me are Belisle. I have a good number of there 120's. Never used any of there bigger stuff. I have heard complaints of the smaller bars on the Belisle damaging fur but have not experienced it myself. If you look at the marten catch video you will see how effective they are.

There are others of course but I'm willing to spend a little extra on equipment that will last 30 years plus.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

I'm a Belisle fan as well. To date I have not had any problem with them damaging fur. Like Torkdiesel said there are other brands out there that are cheaper but they won't stand up like the Belisle. I haven't used Sauvageau but I do know some trappers in my area that really like them.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:10 PM

I exclusively use Belisle. I have approximately 150 Belisle 160's that I use for marten/fisher/mink and 45 Belisle 330's that I use for beaver/wolverine. They work great. Absolutely no fur damage so far.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 PM

Belisle 120 as well for marten and fisher. Priced well, and work great. Like the safeties on the springs and nice cable swivel anchor.
Just got to check the crimps on the furrels, some are not crimped well enough.
The Victor works well for weasel, but are a pain to set in a weasel box when it's -35C and it keeps tripping as you set it down.

Bunch of cheap dukes for beaver. Snares are more productive for lynx.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:13 PM

I have Belisle but I have had damaged Marten with them. About 4 or 5 damaged out of 30 marten roughly. I was told a few ideas to calm them down a bit but they have some major strong springs. I left mine compressed this fall and hope next year they will be not as strong. I have heard a lot of Great things about LDL traps as well but I have not seen any for sale around Edmonton
Old 02-12-2015, 03:43 PM

Tork dieselx2 also feel sav have a better or smoother trigger. But for the price belisle hard to beat.

Jim summit on the victor for weasel x2

I think ldl 120 is Canada's favorite marten trap only problem not cert for fisher.

Last edited by Marten1576; 02-12-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:10 PM

Belisle 120 for me re mink, marten and fisher. The LDL is also a.good trap but I like the safeties on the Belisle. As "Marten1576 pointed out the LDL is not certified for fisher. If it was the belisle only over it would be the safeties IMO. Myself I have not experience any fur damage using the Belisle 120's. I have been skinning for another trapper who uses some Sauvageau traps and I have noted they have stronger springs than the Belisle's and do cause fur and pelt damage more often than I like to see.

For beaver and otter my older series 2 Victors work fine. For Lynx It's snares for me.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:17 PM

i've been happy with the belisles aswell.

the koro rodent traps are far superior to the victor rat trap.IMO. but they're 2-3 times as expensive. the koros are much better for the bigger prairie long tails down here.easier to set in the cold aswell.

i'll trade 30 victor rat traps for something cool, if any body wants them. if nobody wants them, i'll throw them in the garbage.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
i've been happy with the belisles aswell.

the koro rodent traps are far superior to the victor rat trap.IMO. but they're 2-3 times as expensive. the koros are much better for the bigger prairie long tails down here.easier to set in the cold aswell.

i'll trade 30 victor rat traps for something cool, if any body wants them. if nobody wants them, i'll throw them in the garbage.
Define cool, and we have a deal! Once the triggers on those are modified, you can boast a 95% hook up. Which is great on Weasels. Looking to expand my Weasel line next year anyways.

Belisles all the way for me. Duke and brigger are crap, even in 110's. I don't mind the sav 330's, but the bar width makes them scary without the use of a safety...they hit harder than a belisles though. I wouldn't use the sav's for anything else, they don't sit as well in boxes. I don't like foot holds for weasels, don't think that is humane trapping myself. rat traps or panned 110's for me.

Spruce
Old 02-12-2015, 05:18 PM

muskrat traps are cool
Old 02-12-2015, 05:19 PM

I trap with 5911ryan and he will agree with me 100%... When it comes to 330s, the new Duke traps hands down, are the best. The stiffest springs, extremely well made and work amazing. The triggers eventually rust off them, but then again, what conniber triggers do not? And they're cheap. Very hard to find cheap things that work today... As for 220s for coon, I personally use Bridger, they work great, kill fast and are decently priced. Halfords Hides I believe is the only place in Canada that I can find that sells the Duke 330s. But oh well!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:50 PM

Anyone interested in a group buy on the belisles 120s? I am in the market for 8 to 10 dozen if anyone else is interested let me know and in will look around at pricing.