Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Thumbs up RCMP now face 'Class Action' lawsuit for their High River Gun-Grab

It's about time ... http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/128...ms-leadership/

Mac
Old 02-12-2015, 11:42 AM

If successful with the lawsuit I hope the money comes directly from the pockets and off the salaries of the officers and others responsible. Sadly I suspect we will end up paying for this mistake while the RCMP pleads for increased government funding.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:08 PM

I suppose it was inevitable. Everyone likes to sue. This should make things interesting.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I suppose it was inevitable. Everyone likes to sue. This should make things interesting.
If the RCMP had nothing to hide why would they fight the report and delay for so long?

I wonder how the falsifying of flight records are going to pan out for them..
Old 02-12-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
If successful with the lawsuit I hope the money comes directly from the pockets and off the salaries of the officers and others responsible. Sadly I suspect we will end up paying for this mistake while the RCMP pleads for increased government funding.
It depends if they sue the RCMP as an organization, or if the individual officers involved are the only ones named... I would say that doing the latter would be more prudent... Might actually get more names coughed up to lessen the blow on themselves...
Old 02-12-2015, 12:15 PM

says criminal code was broken. so who is charged and when is the court date for araingment
Old 02-12-2015, 12:52 PM

The police above all others should know the laws of the land.What ever happened to "ignorance of the law is no excuse".Someone needs to be charged to prevent future illeagle acts by individual members.I know several RCMP members and do not know any bad ones,but obviously there are some out there who dont know the laws or choose to ignore them.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacs5 View Post
says criminal code was broken. so who is charged and when is the court date for araingment
While I agree, good luck...
Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Gone Hunting

I listened to the report on the radio last night. I was on night shift.

The report was careful to not use the word illegal, it did say the RCMP acted inappropriately in some cases. They were also careful to imply that it was only in a few cases, but they wouldn't say that, which suggests to me that it was not just in a few instances.

The report attributed the whole event to a breakdown in communications between the public and the RCMP.

So let me get this straight. If there's a breakdown between my bank and myself, I can break into the safe and take all the money I find and I won't face criminal charges because it was all due to a breakdown in communication.

What a bunch of bovine excrement! A breakdown in communications justifies illegal activity! And they are supposed to know the law and they are responsible for enforcing the law! What sort of law allows illegal actions to go uncontested?

Do the RCMP serve and protect us or do they serve and protect themselves?

I see another whitewash very similar to the Mayerthorpe embarrassment, but without a clear scapegoat, so it gets attributed to a breakdown in communication.

Our national pride has become our national shame.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
The police above all others should know the laws of the land.What ever happened to "ignorance of the law is no excuse".Someone needs to be charged to prevent future illeagle acts by individual members.I know several RCMP members and do not know any bad ones,but obviously there are some out there who dont know the laws or choose to ignore them.
As general rule the rcmp does not investigate property crimes. If they do, maybe they would have investigated the burnt out motorhome (McCains?) when they found out about it not weeks later.
The leadership of the rcmp is a disgrace and more concerned on being politically and demographically correct than being capable.
I hope they get their A##ed sued good along with the female hitler redford.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Banned

Great idea.. now the deficit you all create by sueing the RCMP they will be giving out speeding tickets for 102 in a 100....
Old 02-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Banned

Cool

I guess the rc's should start charging those whose fire arms were improperly stored. Wish we could find the actual numbers of the seizures ie those the police acted acordingly with .frirst sweep , second sweep , uneffected area. Is all this moaning abought 10 guns ...that were promptly returned.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Great idea.. now the deficit you all create by sueing the RCMP they will be giving out speeding tickets for 102 in a 100....
Criminal convictions for those responsible and a cut to the RCMP budget of 30% should open up the eyes of the top brass pretty quick.

Who am I kidding. Nothing will happen asides from a round of promotions and more "One off and very rare situations of RCMP conduct".
Old 02-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I guess the rc's should start charging those whose fire arms were improperly stored. Wish we could find the actual numbers of the seizures ie those the police acted acordingly with .frirst sweep , second sweep , uneffected area. Is all this moaning abought 10 guns ...that were promptly returned.
There's a reason they haven't charged anyone.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
There's a reason they haven't charged anyone.
Yes it was an emergency, most folks had more important thing to worry abought than if the trigger lock was on the cooey. Shame the guys that were puting life and limb on the line arnt getting the same grace.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Yes it was an emergency, most folks had more important thing to worry abought than if the trigger lock was on the cooey. Shame the guys that were puting life and limb on the line arnt getting the same grace.
Life and limb busting doors down on houses that were on high ground.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Life and limb busting doors down on houses that were on high ground.
In perspective sir 4000+ dwellings were entered, how many on your list ?? I also belive they were in the cordon area. .
Old 02-12-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Why didn't a gun grab happen in Calgary then, if it was an emergency and a matter of public safety?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Even the report, whitewashed as it was, said the RCMP was out of line. And you're STILL exonerating them?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Wish we could find the actual numbers of the seizures ie those the police acted acordingly with .frirst sweep , second sweep , uneffected area. Is all this moaning abought 10 guns ...that were promptly returned.
You mean this document here? A total of 609...

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Even the report, whitewashed as it was, said the RCMP was out of line. And you're STILL exonerating them?
yes becuse half the folks kiying would have been spectators while lives were being saved. That simple in the real world .
On day one I suggested a call was made . As the report states . Trying times require action . After the fact we have the LUXURY of criticism . The man on the ground had neither time or luxury on his side.
Ill suggest again this entire cafufle is over less than 10% of the fire arms and the owner of 20%(100) of the sized fire arms thanked the RC's irrc.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
yes becuse half the folks kiying would have been spectators while lives were being saved. That simple in the real world .
On day one I suggested a call was made . As the report states . Trying times require action . After the fact we have the LUXURY of criticism . The man on the ground had neither time or luxury on his side.
Ill suggest again this entire cafufle is over less than 10% of the fire arms and the owner of 20%(100) of the sized fire arms thanked the RC's irrc.
And 85% of stats on the internet are 50% made up. Are you really suggesting anyone was happy about there door being breached, mud tracked everywhere, gun seized and home left unsecured. Maybe a few, whose houses floated down the river would have been happy to have their gun saved...but I bet those family pictures, heirlooms etc would have been nice to have too.

I'd say somewhere closer to .891643% felt the way you suggest.

Why doesn't everyone get this luxury of innocence based on trying times?
Old 02-12-2015, 04:07 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
And 85% of stats on the internet are 50% made up. Are you really suggesting anyone was happy about there door being breached, mud tracked everywhere, gun seized and home left unsecured. Maybe a few, whose houses floated down the river would have been happy to have their gun saved...but I bet those family pictures, heirlooms etc would have been nice to have too.

I'd say somewhere closer to .891643% felt the way you suggest.

Why doesn't everyone get this luxury of innocence based on trying times?
they did were any charges pressed on the owners of the pot plants exactly.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are...you...kidding...me...?

Unsafe storage is the cheesiest charge they bring and it stems from when they can't actually find a charge.

What a fudd statement.

Doesn't surprise me coming from you.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
Are...you...kidding...me...?

Unsafe storage is the cheesiest charge they bring and it stems from when they can't actually find a charge.

What a fudd statement.

Doesn't surprise me coming from you.
Lol oh your so up tight . Its a joke . The rc's didnt press any charges in high river that im aware of . lol im suggesting the men on the ground are being hung out to dry over a minor amount of the firearms secured in HR that fall out of the "normal " search area ie second sweep unaffected areas. Imo out of 4000 searches that will be a small number.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
they did were any charges pressed on the owners of the pot plants exactly.
were any seized? If so, where did they go??? Up in smoke?

Pretty hard to convict someone without a warrant. Don't kid yourself though...I"m sure notes were taken...like Billy Joe has grow op, Jane Doe has a freaky side and Joe Smith has a rebel flag and a lot of weapons.

I'd imagine they looked past all kinds of things but guns were clearly the target.

The fact they left the drugs and other crimes alone but took the guns suggests to me that they knew what they were doing was illegal.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
were any seized? If so, where did they go??? Up in smoke?

Pretty hard to convict someone without a warrant. Don't kid yourself though...I"m sure notes were taken...like Billy Joe has grow op, Jane Doe has a freaky side and Joe Smith has a rebel flag and a lot of weapons.

I'd imagine they looked past all kinds of things but guns were clearly the target.

The fact they left the drugs and other crimes alone but took the guns suggests to me that they knew what they were doing was illegal.
So you know next to nuthing abought what happened in high river . Carry on .
Old 02-12-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Lol oh your so up tight . Its a joke . The rc's didnt press any charges in high river that im aware of . lol im suggesting the men on the ground are being hung out to dry over a minor amount of the firearms secured in HR that fall out of the "normal " search area ie second sweep unaffected areas. Imo out of 4000 searches that will be a small number.
Did you ever think that no charges of any sort were laid because in a court of a law, they would have had to have search warrants to proceed with a legal case?
Old 02-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
So you know next to nuthing abought what happened in high river . Carry on .
Private property was confiscated without a warrant.
That is that and there is no getting around it.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Did you ever think that no charges of any sort were laid because in a court of a law, they would have had to have search warrants to proceed with a legal case?
Of course omg so why would the RC's all of a sudden care abought that law when as every one claims they spent a week robbing houses??? It makes no sense " break all the laws you want lads to get them guns ....but dont break the law on warrants" that ones sacred.