Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Default Which ice fishing hut do you recommend ?

Thinking the Eskimo 6120 or maybe the clam 4000? Just for myself ,wife and daughter and old camera.......
Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 PM

I would go with the 6120 as it is bigger than the 4000 and you will not regret having more room. If you can, get the 6120i, the insulated version.

I bought the Eskimo 949i and it is a very good tent. It is the same size class as the Clam 4000 and with you, wife and child plus a little bit of gear, it would be cozy bordering on crowded.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM

I also recommend getting a slightly larger tent. They really are no harder to set up, don't really weight that much more and the room is nice. I sold my Eskimo and bought a larger Clam ...... if Eskimo made one the same size and configuration as my existing clam .... I'd go back in a minute. ...... like a fat chick back to the toaster for a pop tart.

I've had both the Eskimo and Clam tents, and despite the "600 denier" claim to fame Clam brags about the Eskimo fabric has a lower thread count (more coarse) which is, in fact, tougher and substantially more resistant to abrasions, tears, and wear.

The higher thread counts "Generally" mean the fabric is thinner and stronger when compared to lower thread counts of equal sized yarns ........ HOWEVER this DOES NOT necessarily mean it wears better .... keep that in mind.

It's been my experience the stitching, lower thread count, doors, zippers, poles, hubs and anchors are the Eskimo are far better.

There is no comparison based on what I see .... with my one good eye like a pirate (after the jaw jacker incident)
Old 02-03-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I bought the Eskimo 949i and it is a very good tent. It is the same size class as the Clam 4000 and with you, wife and child plus a little bit of gear, it would be cozy bordering on crowded.
I also have a 949i for family fishing trips....3 adults and my little guy are a little cramped with all the gear, heater, camera Etc but it stays good and warm and does the trick.

Only complaints if i had to find some fault would be fitting it back in the bag on cold days is impossible and the zippers are a two handed affair still after two years of use. I would recommend this tent to anyone looking for a pop up. Best one ive ever fished out of.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:57 PM

I have a Clam 1550 six pack. I really like it. Big enough that I can stand up and I'm just over 6ft tall. Nice storage pockets on all six sides two doors. Sets up easy and goes into the bag at the end of the day without to much hassle. It does sweat with the heat on, however I put up with it. So far I've only had three people in it along with a sunflower heater a 2 x4 ft table and three chairs it was crowded but not awkward.

The only complaint I have is that the zippers are tight, when the wall is popped out. To avoid zipper issues I collapse the wall with the zipper close it and then pop the wall back out, when closing up the door. Opening is not problem, my 5 year old can do it.

It has mesh pockets for storage on each wall, has lots of windows with good coverings so you can black it out if needed and good ventilation for bringing in fresh air for the heater.

I lay down 2x2 rubber mats to cover the floor and it seems to help with reducing the cold and maybe even a little with reducing condensation.

If I ever get another one it will be the insulated model. I can't really complain about my 1550 six pack it was gift and a great one at that.

BW
Old 02-03-2015, 06:17 PM

I would get whatever you buy set up before u buy it no matter what. Fished in a 9416 fatfish and was very unimpressed. Not nearly as roomy as the 6 Sided style shelters from clam or cabelas all the roof poles bowed way in and there was very little headroom for anyone over 6 foot 2 or so.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I also recommend getting a slightly larger tent. They really are no harder to set up, don't really weight that much more and the room is nice. I sold my Eskimo and bought a larger Clam ...... if Eskimo made one the same size and configuration as my existing clam .... I'd go back in a minute. ...... like a fat chick back to the toaster for a pop tart.

I've had both the Eskimo and Clam tents, and despite the "600 denier" claim to fame Clam brags about the Eskimo fabric has a lower thread count (more coarse) which is, in fact, tougher and substantially more resistant to abrasions, tears, and wear.

The higher thread counts "Generally" mean the fabric is thinner and stronger when compared to lower thread counts of equal sized yarns ........ HOWEVER this DOES NOT necessarily mean it wears better .... keep that in mind.

It's been my experience the stitching, lower thread count, doors, zippers, poles, hubs and anchors are the Eskimo are far better.

There is no comparison based on what I see .... with my one good eye like a pirate (after the jaw jacker incident)

EZM,

Not only are you packed full of valuable information which I admire, you make me laugh my A** off when I read your posts! I really enjoy your sense of humour...keep it up man well done!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskpikeman View Post
I would get whatever you buy set up before u buy it no matter what. Fished in a 9416 fatfish and was very unimpressed. Not nearly as roomy as the 6 Sided style shelters from clam or cabelas all the roof poles bowed way in and there was very little headroom for anyone over 6 foot 2 or so.
I have the 9416 and have been in the 6 sided ones and personally I like the 9416 better. I guess it's personal preference.

I would recommend insulated, that'll be my next purchase, we had a -25 plus wind day Friday and the wind was not helping the buddy heater keep it warm in my tent.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:44 AM

For all with zipper problems. Spray them with silicon spray, the type that dryes to the touch. I use the product, Jig-a-loo. Can get it at homedepot or other place as such. I'm Sure there are other brands around too. I use that stuff on everything. Nothing in my house sticks or squeeks. Great on anything that slides or has a friction problem.
Sorry, it won't help with your bag problems unless it has a zipper.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
For all with zipper problems. Spray them with silicon spray, the type that dryes to the touch. I use the product, Jig-a-loo. Can get it at homedepot or other place as such. I'm Sure there are other brands around too. I use that stuff on everything. Nothing in my house sticks or squeeks. Great on anything that slides or has a friction problem.
Sorry, it won't help with your bag problems unless it has a zipper.
worth a try....for what its worth the zippers are good quality and work fine. But the fabric just seems to be pulled too tight making the doors tough to close.

Its not a deal breaker at all...still love that tent....just gotta close the doors for the wife is all.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
worth a try....for what its worth the zippers are good quality and work fine. But the fabric just seems to be pulled too tight making the doors tough to close.

Its not a deal breaker at all...still love that tent....just gotta close the doors for the wife is all.
After a bit of use might get a little easier too(as fabric stretches a bit).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
After a bit of use might get a little easier too(as fabric stretches a bit).
im on my second season of heavy use with zero changes....it really is a testament to the quality of zipper used. Cause a cheaper one would have split long ago with the amount of pressure we put on it.

Again not complaining. Great tents.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:55 AM

I bought the Eskimo 6120i and I love it. -23 last weekend and we were just wearing our hoodies with the Mr.Buddy going and had to turn it down. I've only used it twice so can't comment on the longevity but the set up and take down is simple and it actually fits back into the carrying case once taken out.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Default I want the 6120i

I decided which one I want, but now I can't find anywhere that has one......if you see one let me know
Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66spitfire View Post
I decided which one I want, but now I can't find anywhere that has one......if you see one let me know
Not sure where you live but the Wholesale Sports website says that they are in stock in almost all locations.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:57 PM

I would also check TheFishingHole also has a great selection and the staff in there are helpful..Just unclear 66spitfire, which one did ya want?
Old 02-04-2015, 10:39 PM

Default Got a tent today !

Thanks guys. I was after the insulated Eskimo, all they had was the uninsulated for 500bucks. Ouch, wholesale sports gave me a wicked deal today on the floor model frabil insulated. Couldn't pass it up. Thanks Wholesale sports!! You got my vote!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 PM

Good you got one, I just wanted to say although my buddies 6120i is a nice warm tent it drives me nuts with how low the ceiling is, the midget sized doors and how big/heavy and hard to handle it is. I personally prefer my quickfish 6i over it but it definitely isn't as warm due to only having an insulated roof and being taller. The 9416's are nice too if you want/need that extra room.