Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2015, 11:27 PM

They are generally good.

Repairs which seem to come up from time to time
- turbochargers
- growing oil
- timing chains/tensioners

The most common complaint is for misfire/hesitation. The spark plugs love to carbon track. Replace all six plugs and all six coil boots. If you get it in time you can often avoid killing an ignition coil.

The 5.0 V8 is no better for reliability, but considering that it generally gets the same economy I can't say that the 3.5 turbo worth the added cost. I do 5.0 cylinder heads for cylinder 4 and 8 misfires (intake valves get razor thin and no longer seat) like it's going out of style.

The 2v 6.2 (and the 6.7 diesel) is the best thing Ford puts out these days. I never, ever fix them. They just don't seem to break.

Last edited by Peace Meal Farm; 01-23-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I think there is a small turbo and a larger one. Don't think they spool up at the same time. Depends on the demand that is needed. I think its Twin Sequential Turbocharger.

See this for a better explanation.
http://www.carsdirect.com/aftermarke...of-twin-turbos
How about you pop the hood and take a look? Nothing sucks more than making assumptions and then getting proved wrong.

It's a parallel twin set up in the eco-boost. Meaning each bank of 3 cylinders get fed equally from each turbo.

That "second" turbo you feel when it kicks in while passing vehicles is turbo lag. It would make no sense to have a bank of 3 cylinders fed by a smaller turbo and the other fed by a larger one…just to pass.