Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Ok let me comment,
The other thing I have seen is when I went to shoots in late 80's early 90's the average shot was a bowhunting style shot, like a deer at 20-30 yards, an elk or moose at 30-40 or maybe 45. Not a frikkin mosquito at 47 yards. There were no binos, so shooting time was fast and we could do a 30 animal round with 4 shooters in 1.5 hours. Now it takes 3 to do a 20 animal round. Now people coming out for first time need two dozen arrows because it is tough for new shooters. Everyone started having to buy two bows a hunting bow and a 3D bow... so it became become go big or stay at home and buy your own 3D targets for practice.

There were two things that started to offset this movement, one was scoring the x as an 11, and the other was having a "Hunter" class which had equipment limitations to approximate average hunting equipment with 40 yard maximum shot.

How many would be in and could I count on you attendance at a local shoot in that class?

Wow. we were obviously at different shoots in the 90's. The shoots I went to were all long shots, 20-70 yards with slow bows and aluminum arrows. we shot clean when we didnt miss an animal! LOL We were constantly breaking and going through arrows back then. Today the shots are shorter and the arrows are lasting longer. I shoot my hunting equipment all the time, took 3rd place at the MOAS in 2014 with a seventy pound bow, 4" stabilizer and 450 grain arrows. If you truly are a hunter and you go to shoots for practice...why get so caught up in this 3D political crap? If we want to develop archers to compete at world championships then we need to develop the classes to achieve this. That's the goal of a sanctioned shoot. I have no desire to do this but it wont stop me from going to shoots with my hunting equipment.

Or just put a range in your back yard where you can shoot from blinds at whatever distance you want!!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:58 AM

I agree I have said many times....these shoots are what you make them, compete or not just show up and shoot. I find too many people find an excuse not to shoot when there is way more reasons to shoot....enjoy it, become a part of it, easy to not go but what's the fun in that.

LC
Old 01-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
Wow. we were obviously at different shoots in the 90's. The shoots I went to were all long shots, 20-70 yards with slow bows and aluminum arrows. we shot clean when we didnt miss an animal! LOL We were constantly breaking and going through arrows back then. Today the shots are shorter and the arrows are lasting longer. I shoot my hunting equipment all the time, took 3rd place at the MOAS in 2014 with a seventy pound bow, 4" stabilizer and 450 grain arrows. If you truly are a hunter and you go to shoots for practice...why get so caught up in this 3D political crap? If we want to develop archers to compete at world championships then we need to develop the classes to achieve this. That's the goal of a sanctioned shoot. I have no desire to do this but it wont stop me from going to shoots with my hunting equipment.

Or just put a range in your back yard where you can shoot from blinds at whatever distance you want!!

Very nice set-up! I don't hunt from blinds so it wouldn't really work for me, but put a few tree stands up and throw some thick bush in and some hills and now we're talking! In Whitecourt we are very fortunate to have a marvelous 3d facility presenting virtually unlimited shot possibilities, and we do that on a regular basis, just for fun.

Wow, scoring an 803 at moas with gear you described is quite a feat! Good stuff!
Old 01-08-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Hope to see you coming to some regular shoots Neil! Maybe you can donate the L.O.S.T Arrow Hunter championship jacket?

LC
Done lol
Old 01-08-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Done lol
Insert slow clap.... That's awesome!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-08-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Very nice set-up! I don't hunt from blinds so it wouldn't really work for me, but put a few tree stands up and throw some thick bush in and some hills and now we're talking! In Whitecourt we are very fortunate to have a marvelous 3d facility presenting virtually unlimited shot possibilities, and we do that on a regular basis, just for fun.

Wow, scoring an 803 at moas with gear you described is quite a feat! Good stuff!
I would love to try a treestand for deer...there just arent many trees south of Lethbridge!! LOL whacked a few bears from a treestand over the years though.

That facility in Whitecourt sounds great. Bit of a drive for me though. LOL

Last year I was practicing for my Africa trip and used my hunting set up at every event. I had a great year shooting, it truly showed me how little speed really matters once you get to a certain point. Once you hit that 285-290 fps then i think the law of diminishing returns is hitting really hard when it comes to adding speed for scores in 3D archery tournaments. Form and shot execution are the difference, not the speed of your arrow.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Insert slow clap.... That's awesome!

LC
he compared it to the masters jacket....so it should be insert golf clap!! lol
Old 01-08-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
he compared it to the masters jacket....so it should be insert golf clap!! lol
This is true!

The Whitecourt Archery Club puts on a great shoot....definitely a must do if you want to make the trek north, camping on site and three different courses with up and down and trees and open shots....great place to go!

LC
Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I would love to try a treestand for deer...there just arent many trees south of Lethbridge!! LOL whacked a few bears from a treestand over the years though.

That facility in Whitecourt sounds great. Bit of a drive for me though. LOL

Last year I was practicing for my Africa trip and used my hunting set up at every event. I had a great year shooting, it truly showed me how little speed really matters once you get to a certain point. Once you hit that 285-290 fps then i think the law of diminishing returns is hitting really hard when it comes to adding speed for scores in 3D archery tournaments. Form and shot execution are the difference, not the speed of your arrow.
As a guy with a 28" dl, I agree with you on the speed thing. Consistent form And execution is always the struggle, no matter who you are. Provincials in drayton valley is a prime example of this. A fair number of people who are awesome on flatter courses have a lot of problems with form and execution in the way of uphill/downhill shots and at times awkward footing. Another thing that rares it's head is poor range estimation. This is where the 25 or 30 fps can be a savior on the score card! I guess it's like shaft size, you have to pick and choose what you think is going to fit your strengths and weaknesses best. Obviously you have found a formula that works for you! I am still searching.....the Hunter class was good to me last year though, I really got to mess around with a lot of different stuff. Hopefully my formula this year is better. I guess we'll see at moas if I have made any gains!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:45 AM

I got tired of the bickering that occurred, in the latter part of the 90's. The 3D's became a "target shoot", the target shooters/equipment nuts basically took it over. The bulk of the rules and the mindset, are for the few, not the many. And those who did the most whining, were not likely to ever get involved in running anything.
But, such is the nature of any competitive shooting endeavour, so to speak. The people change, the BS doesn't.
The little guys wind up getting shoved out to the side, because they can't or won't invest in the equipment and practice and mindset.
They were still a lot of fun, if you ignored the uber-competitive side of things.
The other thing that started happening, was that people started not staying at the sites in the evening, just going home instead. Best shoots I went to, were where people camped on site, and there were some campfires to go visit and listen to the BS. Shoots like Cranbrook, Williams Lake, Three Hills, Burnt Timber, Drayton, other small town shoots, had that, Edm and Cgy folks went home at night, at their respective shoots, for the most part.
Even at that, the "National" shoots that were held out west, never attracted the shooters that shot the circuits from back east. In the scheme of things, they really didn't mean much "nationally". We didn't know who were the top people back there, and they didn't know us. A lot of those guys went to the shoots in the northern US circuits, they didn't have any interest in the Cdn Nationals. Most of that is simple geography and logistics, but, it certainly waters down the idea of the "National Championship".
There are still lots of small fun shoots around where a Joe-Blow bowhunter can go try his/her hand at seeing what they can accomplish, and learn a bit about the limits of their skills & equipt as to making a kill shot on a critter, and learn from others. And win a few prizes of some form or another.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:56 AM

I have said many times....these shoots are what you make them, compete or not just show up and shoot. I find too many people find an excuse not to shoot when there is way more reasons to shoot....enjoy it, become a part of it, easy to not go but what's the fun in that.

I'll say it again

No matter what your level is....just show up and make it any type of shoot you want!

LC
Old 01-09-2015, 01:48 PM

Places like Trail, Cranbrook, Williams Lake, Abbotsford, Windermere, had some stuff that that baffled a lot of shooters, they had the terrain. Some of the courses set up in AB were pretty wild, too. It is a great way to learn about bowhunting archery. And you get to meet all types of folk, from some far flung parts of the western provinces at some of them. A person can learn a lot, meet some really cool people, and see places they have never been to.
It can give you a different perspective on Western Canada.