Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
you must have extremely short memory coy. if the Chinese for some unforeseen reason don't buy fur. the market tanks.

at there lies the problem. the less we rely on the chinese, the better.

everybody signed the AHTIS, but the US. the US is handicapping the growth of the industry here in north america(and probably around the world aswell).

by supporting the US. your curbing progress that this industry desperately needs to continue to grow.

and for the record. i'm an american. as a trapper its embarrassing/very sad.
I don't understand what you mean by handicapping. Could you please explain as not all of us trappers are seasoned trappers some of us are still new! Thanks

Merry Christmas trappers!!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Banned

Been reading this thread with great interest. Couple observations.....
.... I live in edm. not far from Halfords so it is very easy to pop in there and browse. Love that store (esp. the smell of tanned hides as you walk in) as it has things that you don't see anywhere else. I too have always thought that every thing was very expensive, esp. on items that you can get at Home Depot etc (eg. snare wire), but other things (eg. cam locks) you cannot find anywhere else. I did buy a dozen coyote snares but plan to build my own in the future, but they did not have whammies on them. Not sure if whammies are used with heavier gauge snares and will check if the lighter snares have them.
.... One member mentioned that he picks up his gear from a PO box in MT. Do you have to pay extra duty on that stuff when you cross the border back into AB?
Old 12-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Been reading this thread with great interest. Couple observations.....
.... I live in edm. not far from Halfords so it is very easy to pop in there and browse. Love that store (esp. the smell of tanned hides as you walk in) as it has things that you don't see anywhere else. I too have always thought that every thing was very expensive, esp. on items that you can get at Home Depot etc (eg. snare wire), but other things (eg. cam locks) you cannot find anywhere else. I did buy a dozen coyote snares but plan to build my own in the future, but they did not have whammies on them. Not sure if whammies are used with heavier gauge snares and will check if the lighter snares have them.
.... One member mentioned that he picks up his gear from a PO box in MT. Do you have to pay extra duty on that stuff when you cross the border back into AB?
I declare all my stuff at the border. It is very rare that they end up charging me anything and if so is still a huge savings from buying here. I think a P.O box is $50 a year and is worth it the amount we use it. We buy kids cloths, winter boots and all kinds of stuff from the U.S. I got 4 kids so it can save a lot. I always declare things and I have never had issues and like I said rarely charged extra bringing it in. Also the shipping in the U.S is cheap as well so you save there also.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
I don't understand what you mean by handicapping. Could you please explain as not all of us trappers are seasoned trappers some of us are still new! Thanks

Merry Christmas trappers!!
the pelts are all marketed together. there is no way to definitively say wether the pelt was harvested according to internationally agreed upon trap standards or not.

the overwhelming majority of north american consumers are turned off of fur when they see critters hanging from trees, in leg hold traps, on the discovery channel.

companies like patagonia, arcteryx, etc. won't touch fur, until every one is using the agreed upon trap standards.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:21 AM

So why do our canadian auction houses accept ones not trapped under standards!!

Thanks for explaining

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-25-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
so why do our canadian auction houses accept ones not trapped under standards!!

Thanks for explaining
money
Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 PM

Anybody shop at http://www.wcscanadastore.com seems like very good prices if u figure in the exchange rate its similiar pricing to the snare shop on the items I was looking at