Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2015, 08:26 PM

Default Zippo hand warmer

Well today I picked up a Zippo hand warmer after reading about them in a recent thread.

After reading the instructions I noticed that the catalytic burner is a consumable item and will eventually need to be replaced. I got the warmer from CT, but it doesn't look like they carry the replacement burners. Does anybody know where they could be locally purchased in Edmonton? Also, how long do they last on average?

Going to give it the 'practical test' while out ice fishing tomorrow...hope it lives up to the hype!!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 PM

baked potato's wrapped in tinfoil work great too. and you can gnosh on them once they've cooled down.

does the zippo website have a dealer list?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 PM

http://www.zippo.com/product.aspx?id=1025744

it's super enthralling, a must see!!!!!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:42 PM

but wait, there's more.

replacement parts. I know edmonchuk doesn't have mountains, so do you northerners have a mountain equipment co-op?

http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-753/z...cement-burner/
Old 01-03-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
but wait, there's more.

replacement parts. I know edmonchuk doesn't have mountains, so do you northerners have a mountain equipment co-op?

Perfect!

Honestly for as long as I've known about these things I've never seen one before, so when I stumbled across them in CT today I had to pick one up, even though I clearly hadn't done my homework

Hope it was a worthwhile purchase

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-03-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
but wait, there's more.

Yup. northside.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Perfect!

Honestly for as long as I've known about these things I've never seen one before, so when I stumbled across them in CT today I had to pick one up, even though I clearly hadn't done my homework

Hope it was a worthwhile purchase
we used to use the older versions while ice fishing as kids - many years ago - a little coal in a wad of I guess asbestos, they worked great for heat and the asbestos in our lungs made pneumonia seem like a common case of the sniffles.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Yup. northside.
closer to the mountains?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
we used to use the older versions while ice fishing as kids - many years ago - a little coal in a wad of I guess asbestos, they worked great for heat and the asbestos in our lungs made pneumonia seem like a common case of the sniffles.
A little asbestos is good for ya...it builds character!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 PM

Let me know how it works. I been thinking about trying one but the reviews seem to be hit or miss.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 PM

One thing I remember about lighter fluid and zippos. If you have it full of fuel make sure you keep it upright in your pocket. I had an upside down zippo lighter leak in my pocket and the lighter fluid blistered my leg. I haven't used the zippo in a long time. Not saying Zippos are bad, just my experience with them. I went to a solid fuel hand warmer.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-04-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
One thing I remember about lighter fluid and zippos. If you have it full of fuel make sure you keep it upright in your pocket. I had an upside down zippo lighter leak in my pocket and the lighter fluid blistered my leg. I haven't used the zippo in a long time. Not saying Zippos are bad, just my experience with them. I went to a solid fuel hand warmer.

Normally they only leak when overfilled. The material becomes saturated and it leaks out. I have carried a zippo for years with no regard to the position and the only time I had one leak was when I overfilled it the first time I ever had a zippo. Since then I've never had an issue.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 AM

Looks like a great thing. Put a few of those in the sleeping bag for extra warmth. Expensive though if you needed a few.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 AM

I got 2 of them last week. One worked one time and then quit it has the older style dome shaped head and I think the platinum burnt out it. I will get a new head for it. The other one works great and has the newer style head on it. They come with a little cup for filling and a full cup will last 12 hours or longer. They don't put out a pile of heat but do keep your pocket nice and warm. Put a cold wet hand in there and it thaws it out in no time.

I'm going to get a couple more.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:08 AM

Well I'm out on the ice this frosty day and I just filled up the hand warmer with fuel and fired it up a little while ago.

First impression: Pretty neat little item...Probably gets roughly as warm as the disposable chemical ones, but since it's larger it does seem to give off more heat...if that makes sense?

I'm keeping it in my hoody pocket and it's keeping that nice and toasty for warming up the hands.

I don't like the filler cup though...it doesn't pour out consistently - like nothing will be coming out no matter how far I have it tipped, and then randomly a bunch will spill out faster than I wasn't, and then nothing again. Spilled a fair bit of fuel from that.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 01-04-2015, 12:22 PM

The thing that I noticed right off, is that they're almost impossible to light if you fill them and then take them to the lake and try to light them there. I usually light them at home before I leave, right after I fill them.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
The thing that I noticed right off, is that they're almost impossible to light if you fill them and then take them to the lake and try to light them there. I usually light them at home before I leave, right after I fill them.
I followed the instructions and let it sit for a couple minutes, then held a Bic up to it for 10-15 seconds and it lit fine.

That said, if it runs as long as advertised even lighting it at home isn't a big deal for me.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 01-04-2015, 01:25 PM

Default Hand Warmers - Kidney Stoves

I had forgotten that these were around. They are excellent when used correctly and that means do not overfill, store upright and keep them clean. I have two US army models that allow the user to light a cigarette through a special enlarged hole on one side. The hand warmer was a German World War Two invention quickly picked up by the Americans who were always cold when serving in Europe. I still have a hunting coat by S. E, Woods that has two little pockets sewed on the inside, just over the kidneys. With two heaters placed in those pockets you were always very warm, sometimes too warm. Works great.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:58 PM

Was it on sale? If you love it, I'd sell you mine if I can find it. Never even used. I'm in your area, Geezle.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msguns View Post
Was it on sale? If you love it, I'd sell you mine if I can find it. Never even used. I'm in your area, Geezle.
No, it wasn't on sale...total impulse purchase

I might be interested in that one you have...shoot me a PM if you happen across it

After having this going for a while I've noticed it has gotten warmer...and the unit itself is quite warm outside of its little pouch. Overall I'm happy with it

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM

I bought one yesterday, filled it up half way and it ran for 7 hours. That little spout filler wasn't pouring very well until I put it right on the heater and it seemed to wick the fluid out
Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 AM

Default Zippo hand warmer

I bought two of these hand warmers last month and never got either to work. Several people on a related thread said to use only Zippo fluid and that Ronson would not work. I could never find Zippo fluid so I got discouraged and used the disposable hand warmers.
Just viewed the Zippo video and I see they say Ronson can be used as an alternative. Guess I need to try again.
What are you using for lighter fluid?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 AM

I used ronson fluid in mine and it worked great
Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
I bought two of these hand warmers last month and never got either to work. Several people on a related thread said to use only Zippo fluid and that Ronson would not work. I could never find Zippo fluid so I got discouraged and used the disposable hand warmers.
Just viewed the Zippo video and I see they say Ronson can be used as an alternative. Guess I need to try again.
What are you using for lighter fluid?
I picked up a big can of Zippo fluid from a smoke shop near my place for around $7.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 01-05-2015, 10:48 AM

I use ronson fluid, I'll sometimes put 1 drop of fluid on the element, light it and burn that off to get it started.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM

ronsonol wont work? ronsonol is a trademark of zippo so you should be good
Old 01-05-2015, 12:47 PM

Default Zippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
ronsonol wont work? ronsonol is a trademark of zippo so you should be good
I somehow thought that this might be the case---I'll have another go at my two Zippo's.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 03:57 PM

I bought 2x them off Ebay (with shipping) for the price of what Crap Tire is selling for 1.

Not the chinese knock of either, although I have one of them.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:06 PM

Lighter fluid , naptha gas (coleman fuel) same thing as far as I can see.