Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2015, 01:24 PM

Arrow Shooting down the road of Homestead Range

I noticed this weekend that there were a few people who were shooting just down the road from the Homestead range (approx. 2 km before you hit the private range entrance) I was thinking this might be a better place to go to practice target shooting as there are less people and less noise. Has anyone else seen the same thing or know if it is allowed in the area? It was a fairly open area and their truck was about 500 yards from the road.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 PM

If it's still green zone and not park you can shoot. However, if you are that close to Homestead I think you should use it and keep the shooting (and, unfortunately, the inevitable mess from morons) contained. I'm just probably over-sensitive since the area west of Millerville was closed off.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:33 PM

If you are talking about the people who shoot down along the river, there is no back stop there... trees don't count. And you would be shooting in the general direction of the camp grounds.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
If you are talking about the people who shoot down along the river, there is no back stop there... trees don't count. And you would be shooting in the general direction of the camp grounds.
Agreed.

Personally, I'm not in favour of shooting in a lot of these k-country spots. There are so many other users and you have no control of where they will be.

I know that the Sibbald range is not without its problems, but what it needs is more respectful and responsible shooters going to it. The more 'good guys' that go to that range, the less problems there will be.

How busy was the range anyways? Pretty chilly weekend.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Thanks guys, wasn't sure if it was just a guy looking to get away from everyone or just had found a good little spot. I went there at noon Saturday and saw one guy come at 2pm. went back on sunday at 8am and there was one other guy there till about 11 ish. both were really respectful and decent guys. I think im going to make it a point to go there early when its -20 ish...keeps the guys with Saturday morning hangovers away haha

still would like to find a place somewhat close to sw calgary that isn't the homestead range...will be looking along the truck road this summer for a spot as im sure the homestead range will be a complete zoo that time of year

Tags
crown land, homestead, range