Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 AM

Default Fly fishing competitively

I've been fly fishing for 8 yrs now and just curious what kind of teams or competitions are in Alberta. I know the states have lots but never heard of anyone doin it here. I would be interested in it. Might be a cool learning experience
Old 11-24-2014, 05:18 PM

There are a few of us around. Last year saw the start of two leagues in AB; one north and one south. At the moment these are very casual, but I believe they are trying to make them more "official".

Fly Fishing Canada is the organization that sanctions events in this country.

And yes, they are great learning opportunities.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Awesome thanks
Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
There are a few of us around. Last year saw the start of two leagues in AB; one north and one south. At the moment these are very casual, but I believe they are trying to make them more "official".

Fly Fishing Canada is the organization that sanctions events in this country.

And yes, they are great learning opportunities.
Please oh please don't go the route of bass competitors and get decked out with sponsor patches all over you like a Nascar pit crew. LOL
Old 11-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Banned

Have you read this book?

http://www.amazon.ca/Master-Your-Fly.../dp/0970865368

I have not even passed chapter one proficiently.

Actually I have, but wait for chapter two.

As Barry White says "To the Queen".
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Please oh please don't go the route of bass competitors and get decked out with sponsor patches all over you like a Nascar pit crew. LOL
They already are , just with out the 300hp v6 on the pontoon .
Old 11-25-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
When they start having cheerleaders at half-time in those tournaments, I'll start watching them!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:00 PM

Smile

I have been fly fishing competitively since I first did it in Fernie in 2009. You will be amazed at how much information you can learn in a very short time period. The guys who fish the tournaments for the most part are really great guys and are willing to share information to help the newbies along. There is plenty to learn. Strageties, flies, lines, styles of fishing (such as loch style). Enough to keep your interest for at least 30 years or so.

I had a major surgery last year, and was not able to compete for a year. But I will be back at it this spring. Fishing in the loch style competition and some of the river comps in Alberta. I will also be competing in the North American Loch Style championship in BC in June 9-13, 2015.

No the guys aren't racing around the lakes in 300hp bass boats and patches like Nascar. But that would make for an interesting spin. Just kidding, about that it would be interesting.

If you would like more information you can check out the Innovative Fly Fisher. It is a forum run by Todd Oishi. Todd has been the captain of the top Canadian fly fishing team for many years. There is a ton of information there regarding tournaments. Not only about when the tournaments are but information on flies, how to fish the tournaments and much more. The forum is based in BC. But it has information on tournaments all across Canada and around the world. Fly Fish Canada is currently picking a team or teams to go to the world fly fishing championships in Bosnia in 2015 and the world fly fishing championships in Vail Colorado in 2016. Here is a link to the Innovative Fly Fisher. http://www.innovativeflyfisher.com/

Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 PM

A fly fishing competition should only be between a couple buddies over who's gotta buy the beers.

I gotta listen to river boats now I hope I don't hear a guys screaming like Joe Swanson also.

Competitive fly fishing.... Jesus