Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
From what I have seen to date on your photos, you don't have to worry. In fact, the one shop I am thinking about could use your skills either in a supervisory role or hands on roll.....
That tenon and chamber was a NIGHTMARE, I can't get it out of my head, BRUTAL, how could anyone charge for that???, I would have cut it off and threw it in the Harpers bin before anyone seen it!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
X3

What a great post Skytop B, amazing! Do you make them to order, may be interest in one of those puppies
Not yet, I am roosting through a mountain of paperwork here trying to decide. I am not sure yet, It may not be fun anymore if it was a job, That and I figure I would have to build 2-3 a day to replace my current income When I started out on this little adventure I had full plans of doing it full time some day. Learning and practicing skills wherever I could. There are many, many methods to barrel fitting and chambering, some better than others. I learned the different methods and do it in a way that makes sense to me. With no formal machinist training I had a steep learning curve just running the lathe. That being said most gun related work is very basic machining. The guys that can make barrels and actions are the true professionals. This is basic stuff. I still think I prefer refinishing, bluing and fixing up old guns that building new stuff, but this is fun and rewarding too.

Last edited by Skytop B; 11-21-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Banned

Ok, thanks for taking the time to respond, I do have a beautiful BSA 30-06 that was used in WWII as a Sniper Rifle, that I would like to have refinished. The Stock was made by a highly recognized Stock maker, if you do not mine I will PM you with the specifics?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:10 PM

It never seises to amaze me how many 25-200 dollar items it takes to do all of this stuff. Anybody that thinks the lathe is the expensive part is dreaming Hahahaha when you talked about the piloted bit for pillars the first thing that popped in my head was I remember buying that and it seemed pretty expensive for what it does haha it does work pretty slick though. The worst part is the more stuff you build the more addictive it becomes. Are you using those high speed steel inserts or are you running carbide?
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 11-21-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
It never seises to amaze me how many 25-200 dollar items it takes to do all of this stuff. Anybody that thinks the lathe is the expensive part is dreaming Hahahaha when you talked about the piloted bit for pillars the first thing that popped in my head was I remember buying that and it seemed pretty expensive for what it does haha it does work pretty slick though. The worst part is the more stuff you build the more addictive it becomes. Are you using those high speed steel inserts or are you running carbide?
Have a pretty good collection of tool holders and carbide inserts, I suck at grinding tool-bits. I pretty much learned on carbide so the speed does not scare me. Did you notice the label on my VFD control? The first video clip
Old 11-22-2014, 10:47 AM

Default Bedding finished.

The end is in sight!
Old 11-22-2014, 05:36 PM

Default Project complete!

Did some minor fitting work and changed the bolt shroud to a Nesika style and finished the bolt knob with the proof round.

It came in at 51.5'' in total length with butt-stock fully retracted and 13.4# without scope.

Thanks to RPS International for supplying most of the goodies!

Last edited by Skytop B; 11-22-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
I have the utmost respect you guys. ho can do stuff to the n'th degree of perfection.
I have a hammer and sooner or later everything begins to look like a nail. 😀
X2 not much around my place the isn't farmer fornicated.
Skytop do you put any of your hobby shop on YouTube?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:06 PM

Thumbs up

holy **** thats 1 amazing looking rifle.. the bolt knob is unique.. never seen 1 like this.. damn man. Nice work
Old 11-23-2014, 12:16 PM

x2 Quality workmanship nice to see
Old 11-23-2014, 03:07 PM

Thank you for the positive comments.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Default Great Post

Skytop, I have really enjoyed your post thanks for giving us all a tour of this project. Keep up the good work. D.H.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Skytop, I have really enjoyed your post thanks for giving us all a tour of this project. Keep up the good work. D.H.
Thank you sir! I am not worthy, will keep trying to get better. It is hard to keep sharp when you only do 2-3 a year.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:05 PM

If I wore a hat, it would off to you sir. You are one talented gent.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:55 PM

Default Break in

Borrowed a scope off another rifle and tried a box of Nosler Trophy Grade with the 180 grain Accu-Bombs. The guy I sold it to does not handload yet. My excuse for the crappy group is the S&B P4FL reticle is just too fat for 100m groups, I couldn't even see the orange dot over the crosshairs. This is the first group after bore sighting, a scope adjustment was made after the first flier off to the side there, then shot five more rounds. I hope with a proper target scope and hand-loads it tightens up a lot. I would have shot more but that ammo is expensive and it is no longer my barrel to wear out

Old 11-25-2014, 02:02 PM

Default Wow

Looks amazing. Well done!!