Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2014, 12:12 PM

Default Dash Cams - Opinions or Experiences

So I have been reading about Dash Cameras lately, anyone else have one on/in their vehicle ? Opinions and experiences are appreciated.

I have heard far too many stories where a dash cam has helped the person who has it in accidents or other traffic problems, so I have one on order that does forward and behind vehicle simultaneous filming on a loop. But still curious about other peoples perspectives.

Link to the one I bought -
http://www.dx.com/p/2-0-tft-5-0mp-cm...troller-150199

Video Sample -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL2MCk8dMhM

Last edited by Coho911; 11-18-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:29 PM

I took video to the RCMP when a moron in a semi passed me up a hill solid double line blind. The RCMP watched my video from my phone, saying he could very clearly see that the driver was in the wrong, but the semi retard claimed I sped up when he was passing. I never touched the gas, was on cruise. The LEO told me if my video showed my speed never changing they would have nailed him for passing when unsafe, and further charges if there were someone oncoming, but with just the 1 point of view caught it was my word against his.
He pulled over cutting me off and forcing me onto the shoulder, and it was at that point the RCMP told me I HAVE to do everything I can to avoid an accident, that if he would have hit me I could have been to blame!!!!!

If you are going to use it for traffic violations, make sure you have front and rear coverage plus GPS time and date tracking, remove all the variables so there can be no excuses.

I have a Contour pro for dash cam, but without GPS I don't even bother trying anymore.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Banned

Looks to be from e-joy out of china. EJ-DVR-F4. Don't see much online about it but I suppose most cams will do the job.

I used an old waterproof cam for a few years, mounted it to the dash and it did the job. Finally died so I bought a Genius DVR-FHD568. $180 for camera and 32 gig card, ready to mount. The night vision on my old cam was better, but this one does a good job in the city.

http://www.geniusnet.com/Genius/wSit...96&ctNode=3321

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ius+DVR-FHD568
Old 11-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Banned

i had one and they still put it at 50-50 when i got side swiped by some idiot.

it was because "it would cost us more to fight it than we stand to save"
i dropped state farm that day

so keep that in mind

but i like mine i can pull the card out and show my girlfriend all the dumb drivers i see everyday and she can sigh and say "neat" every time i show her
Old 11-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Banned

That's unfortunate reality Ken, you would have taken some of the blame if an accident occurred due to some idiot. He would claim you didn't slow down and contributed to the incident.

https://justice.alberta.ca/programs_...acbrochure.pdf

Quote:
WHAT IF I CONTRIBUTED TO THE ACCIDENT?

In some accidents, it is not obvious who was at-fault. In this case, a
determination will normally be made as to who was primarily at-fault, but there may then be a reduction applied to the victim for contributing to the cause of the accident. In other words, you can still advance a claim against the other
driver and owner if they were the ones who were primarily at-fault for the accident, but your claim as a victim may be diminished because you were also partially at-fault or did not do enough to avoid the accident.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM

i seen one the other at the local 'SOURCE' store hi def for 69$ and another on was 59$
i think they are fairly cool too.
i would also imagine that the distratced driving clause applies to the operater adjusting it while driving as well so it might land yourself in that puddle of crap if your trying to adjust it in an attempt to crucify another person.
be good for a cop pullover and your getting the gears. it will help you keep a civil tongue as well.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-18-2014, 06:56 PM

Default Dash cam

My buddy had one when a city bus nailed him and drove away without stopping. It saved buddy a big repair bill. It won't be long before we all have them.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 PM

garmin dashcam 20 for me, has gps location and speed displayed time of day and date. great set up 1080p, decent night time recording and crash detection so if i hit the ditch or someone hits me the Gforce will set it to lockmode so it wont record-loop over the evidence from 4mins before/4mins after shock detection.

Great HUD, has a LCD screen with options and a nice suction cup holder that holds it in place (uses garmin type holder like on a gps back) paid 159 at costco on sale from 200. if youre going to get one get a good one with all the options or go home. this one came with a 32gb class 10 microSD card

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop...rod146282.html

i had been using a GoPro hero 2 but the mount system is much better with the dashcam20 imo (probably because it was made to be a dashcam)
Old 11-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Cobra CDR840 model for myself so far $149.00, I've brought in Panasonic's
and I'll demo one this weekend. This is a screen shot off the DR HD program free down load from Cobra for the 840. Had one shift knob charged with passing on a double yellow, through an intersection coming up on a right hand bend approaching a bridge. I was told my word against theirs, until they saw the video. They liked what they saw with a great hd shot of the licence plate.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
i.
be good for a cop pullover and your getting the gears. it will help you keep a civil tongue as well.
Its already saved me two tickets

The RCMP routinely pull people over on my block for rolling stops. I showed the officer the video from my phone and requested he cancel the ticket before I show it to the judge. I guess he didnt want to be proven wrong, especially with the derogatory comments the officer had made. They don't pull me over any more.

My cam shows the speed, records audio and gps coordinates, and has 1080p capabilities.
http://www.blackboxmycar.com/collect...nglish-version

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-18-2014, 09:48 PM

they all have'em in russia cause they don't trust their police. surprised they aren't more common here.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:51 PM

few years ago bk in newfoundland I was reversed into at a red light by a girl who went to far into the intersection. the woman pointed a finger saying I ran into her, haha don't think so ma'm that light on my dash is a 1080p dashcam. saved my wallet big time!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:34 AM

I know we have sold some of the Cobra CDR-810 cams at work. Interesting note about having the need for the GPS on it. Have to get some of those coming, probably the 830's.
I've asked a few people to let me know how they worked, haven't heard a word back on them yet.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 AM

32-40win the 830's where replaced by the 840 now. The 840 works really well for a $150 cam, they simplified the button system to make it more user friendly. More and more are being acquired just as a CYA measure.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:38 AM

I have a Mobile spec , dash cam I got about a month ago, at UFA in athabasca, then on the 11th November when driving to work a guy never stopped at a stop sign , came right through intersection, tried swerve and miss him, but that didn't happen, But got it all on my dash cam, gave copy to insurance company , we see how this works out,
But at least I got proof I was in the right,
Old 11-19-2014, 10:27 AM

How well do they work for truck hunting?

Sorry for the derail, I couldn't resist.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
How well do they work for truck hunting?

Sorry for the derail, I couldn't resist.
As well as a pool noodle

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Banned

I've been wanting to buy one of these for ages, but all seem to have their issues. the garmin seems one of the better ones but the software is apparently useless..

it seems like car gps, they are just not that good, especially compared to smart phones.