Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM

Nice pics guys, I would love to do a hunt like this one day.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith78 View Post
I've been to their sale and I have to say...this is no Tofield Auction Mart!!

The horses are put through a assortment of challenges and obstacles like you would see in a working pack-in guide camp. Then vet checked and sold.
I know you have ample opportunity to see, touch and ride the horse your intrested in, and spend time with the seller.

I personally haven't bought there because I prefer to train our own. But for the guy who wants to go into the hills with his wife and kids on DEAD BROKE horses...this is the place to buy. All horses gave been worked over the summer, and been ridden through the ranked of the rank before the sale. Its part of the sale terms...no 30d trained animals.

I know personally Johnie Gillis and clan...they get invited ever year to the sale. I can tell you if you have an issue with his horse, he'll get it settled or give you a new one.

Can't speak to the horse, or riders you've mentioned...but my experiance with WDO has been very solid.

Sheep hunter - as we already discussed horses sometimes don't work well...that doesn't mean WDO sells buyer beware horses!!
Please do not interpret my comments as buyers should be aware of this seller. That is not my intent. All I am saying is that anytime you buy a horse there is some degree of risk. Buyers should always realize that anytime you buy a horse without spending time in the middle of them there is no guarantee or degree of certainly as to what the horse will be like when you get it home and put it to work. To buy any horse at any time always presents uncertainties. My point is simply that just because you buy one of their horses does in no way assures you that the horse will be well suited to any average rider, bomb proof and ready to deal with all the challenges that you will encounter while hunting in the back country. One summer in the bush, on the job training, does not translate into a horse that is prepared to deal with everything and anything out there. From experience It often takes years not months to develop a horse to such a level of dependability. It takes lots of miles and many wet blankets to achieve this. Again I am not berating this sellers horses, just passing on some of what I have learned. Bottom line is do not assume anything about any horse until you have spent some time doing what it is you want the horse to do. This applies to reining horses, rope horses, working cow horses, penning horses, cutting horses and so on. The only way to know is to ride them.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter50 View Post
Please do not interpret my comments as buyers should be aware of this seller. That is not my intent. All I am saying is that anytime you buy a horse there is some degree of risk. Buyers should always realize that anytime you buy a horse without spending time in the middle of them there is no guarantee or degree of certainly as to what the horse will be like when you get it home and put it to work. To buy any horse at any time always presents uncertainties. My point is simply that just because you buy one of their horses does in no way assures you that the horse will be well suited to any average rider, bomb proof and ready to deal with all the challenges that you will encounter while hunting in the back country. One summer in the bush, on the job training, does not translate into a horse that is prepared to deal with everything and anything out there. From experience It often takes years not months to develop a horse to such a level of dependability. As often said, it takes lots of miles and many wet blankets to achieve this. Again I am not berating this sellers horses, just passing on some of what I have learned. Bottom line is do not assume anything about any horse until you have spent some time doing what it is you want the horse to do. This applies to reining horses, rope horses, working cow horses, penning horses, cutting horses and so on. The only way to know is to ride them.
Agreed!!

If we wanted to ride something brainless it would be a quad

That's what makes it fun!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith78 View Post
Agreed!!

If we wanted to ride something brainless it would be a quad

That's what makes it fun!
With you on this one csmith78 . Quads are not only brainless but dangerous. No sense of self preservation.