Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 08:38 AM

Default Getting Licences with No English

Or French .my question is How ? Is this happening ....How do you
Think this is occurring . Out hunting near Calgary ,I spoke to two
Individuals who I assume had Pals , hunter safety ,licences but
We could not communicate ,in either official language . So is there
a way you can get all necessary documentation in other languages .
I couldn't find it on the net.....enlighten me
Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Or French .my question is How ? Is this happening ....How do you
Think this is occurring . Out hunting near Calgary ,I spoke to two
Individuals who I assume had Pals , hunter safety ,licences but
We could not communicate ,in either official language . So is there
a way you can get all necessary documentation in other languages .
I couldn't find it on the net.....enlighten me
Should have had someone with a badge check on em.

For a hunting license, it is possible they may be able to read and type English, but not speak it.

For the other two, not an option because of the practical/hands on parts of the exams. It is only available in English and French, unless something changed very recently. My guess is not.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:39 AM

Like that guy a while ago that got mauled by a wounded black bear. There was a language issue there. He spoke Mandarin and couldn't communicate. Explain to me how he got everything too? ?? I'm definitely not a racist, my own two grandchildren are half Chinese so don't even go there folks.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Maybe they just didn't want to talk to you and played the no speaky your language game?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:54 AM

They didn't try to cut your head off?
Old 10-18-2014, 11:24 AM

What Headdamage said make sense. It's not uncommon. Yesterday again I had been talking to a guy for 10 min before to realize he is francophone just like me. He knew I can speak french, I guess he just does not want to talk it. Now imagine how much more often this can happen when you talk someone's 2nd language.

Another viable theory is somewhere in Canada is an instructor who can speak their language. Giving that training and exam in both official language is mandatory but IMO that does not mean you are not allowed to offer it in another language if you can and feel like it. Some immigrants groups are pretty well organized to help new comers from their country and to do things in their own language.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Banned

Answer !

Get someone who knows the Answers to the Test , and also looks a lot like YOU to write the Exam !
Old 10-18-2014, 11:41 AM

Many people who don't speak either official language manage to get drivers licences, and there's plenty of driving schools specializing in such services. Frankly with things such as construction warning signs and a myriad of similar things I think an elementary knowledge of either official language would be prudent, and keeping the known language regionally appropriate. I think the likelihood to have some errors in being appropriately licenced for firearms and hunting would be a bit more likely, as there's such a labrynth of legislation to learn, and that many immigrants might be used to vastly differing hunting activities from their countries of origin, be it the laws (if any) and how they're enforced (corrupt wardens, if any at all). Calling in a concern doesn't make one a bigot, merely someone concerned with our game populations, fairness and a level playing field.

Then again ther are also the immigrants from nations whose game laws eclipse our own, who might find our laws rather lax; I imagine these sorts relish not having to pay the landowner/gamekeeper for the priviledge to hunt.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Many people who don't speak either official language manage to get drivers licences, and there's plenty of driving schools specializing in such services. Frankly with things such as construction warning signs and a myriad of similar things I think an elementary knowledge of either official language would be prudent, and keeping the known language regionally appropriate. I think the likelihood to have some errors in being appropriately licenced for firearms and hunting would be a bit more likely, as there's such a labrynth of legislation to learn, and that many immigrants might be used to vastly differing hunting activities from their countries of origin, be it the laws (if any) and how they're enforced (corrupt wardens, if any at all). Calling in a concern doesn't make one a bigot, merely someone concerned with our game populations, fairness and a level playing field.

Then again ther are also the immigrants from nations whose game laws eclipse our own, who might find our laws rather lax; I imagine these sorts relish not having to pay the landowner/gamekeeper for the priviledge to hunt.
Yeh, Driver Licensing Schools, In the Vancouver BC area couple years back they(RCMP) rounded up 5000 professional truck drivers who had BOUGHT their way through Driving School, Air Brake Licenses and never spent ONE minute in a classroom or a RoadTest with a Government Examiner, all these licences were eventually revoked and several private and Government License Inspectors went to jail and faced large fines,
Imagine these lying POS drivers at large on the highways endangering the unsuspecting public !
Old 10-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Yeh, Driver Licensing Schools, In the Vancouver BC area couple years back they(RCMP) rounded up 5000 professional truck drivers who had BOUGHT their way through Driving School, Air Brake Licenses and never spent ONE minute in a classroom or a RoadTest with a Government Examiner, all these licences were eventually revoked and several private and Government License Inspectors went to jail and faced large fines,
Imagine these lying POS drivers at large on the highways endangering the unsuspecting public !
They must all be driving in Alberta now.

I am perplexed how ppl who serve the construction industry are he ll bent driving 20-30km over the limit. In construction zones..... Um. Hello!

Apparently, being able to read and comprehend the written word is not limited to " new" Canadians.
There is a reason why speeding violations are handed out.
Guess no one knows what those 6 letters at the top of a speed limit sign spell

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:05 PM

Maybe they are non resident hunters? I mean people here on AO go to Africa to hunt and I highly doubt they can speak the local language.... Makes one wonder!