Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 11:39 AM

Default Help with UTM system

I have found a few hunting spots this year that I'd like to put a stand on once the season opens on Nov 1st in that WMU.

I have made waypoints on my GPS for these locations and used this tool: http://users.tpg.com.au/adslly6v/Utm...treetView.html to convert the UTM to lat/long.

This results in google maps showing me the correct location so I believe the GPS is recording the correct information.

I have purchased a "deluxe backroard atlus of Alberta" which is quite detailed and even shows cutlines. It's advertised as being GPS compatible and features the UTM system rather than lat/long.

I purchased this so I can use it in the field rather than relying on google maps.

The problem is that it doesn't match up with my GPS.

Maybe I don't understand how to use it.

Let's say the GPS gives me a co-ordinate of 11U 06xxxxxE, 58xxxxxN

The map will look roughly correct for the northing of 58xxxxxN but is totally off in the easting. In fact, the map doesn't even go past 05xxxxxe. The correct area is listed as 02xxxxxE on the map/atlus which obviously doesn't agree with the GPS or google maps.

The inside cover of the map/atlus says that it is using the datum of UTM Zone 12 and WGS84. I checked the GPS and it is also using WGS84 so same datum.

The GPS, however, specifies Zone 11. I looked online and the area is indeed in zone 11. Only half of Alberta is in zone 12. How could the entire map be zone 12? Do I need to do some kind of funny math to make the co-ordinates from zone 11 match up with some extended co-ordinates from zone 12 or something?

Is the map/atlus wrong?

This makes no sense to me.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Help

Need more information ??? GPS Model/ Make/Software Mapping??? the Deluxe Backroad Atlas??? The Converter???
Take a look a the GPS Sway converter.

Bruce
Old 10-18-2014, 12:22 PM

The converter is linked above. I'm sure it's accurate since when using it and google maps, it results in the correct location being displayed on that map.

The atlus/map is "cccmaps.com Deluxe Edition ALBERTA Back Road Atlus"

The GPS is the Magellan Explorist 110.

Thanks

The problem is that the easting on the map/atlus is totally off by a tremendous amount. The atlus says that it's using Zone 12 but zone 12 only covers eastern AB. How could it use one zone for the entire province?

Something's not right.

I believe the GPS and converter are correct since, again, using them with google maps results in correct placement on google maps/satellite.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
The converter is linked above. I'm sure it's accurate since when using it and google maps, it results in the correct location being displayed on that map.

The atlus/map is "cccmaps.com Deluxe Edition ALBERTA Back Road Atlus"

The GPS is the Magellan Explorist 110.

Thanks

The problem is that the easting on the map/atlus is totally off by a tremendous amount. The atlus says that it's using Zone 12 but zone 12 only covers eastern AB. How could it use one zone for the entire province?

Something's not right.

I believe the GPS and converter are correct since, again, using them with google maps results in correct placement on google maps/satellite.
Sorry I can not help you. It sounds like the Atlas has a problem??? Also, the link to the converter does not come up on my computer (Can not be found)

Bruce.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:56 PM

It sounds like the Atlas is stretching the zone 11 area onto the zone 12 mapping plane in order to get one system of coordinates to cover the entire province. There are other mapping planes available that cover the entire system, but they aren't as commonly used on hand held GPS units as UTM. The mathematical correlation to adjust for this stretching is a nightmare that typically only surveyors know how to do, and they used computer software because doing it with a calculator is a major pain. I'd recommend contacting the maps author to try and get an explanation or solution to your problem.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:00 PM

The Atlas may actually be using 10TM which is a zone 10degrees wide and conveniently covers the province. I am not sure why they would pick a UTM zone to cover the whole province. The UTM projection covers 6 degrees. You should be able to force your GPS to show zone 12 coordinates but always log your waypoints in Lat / Long as that system is always true. And having Lat/Long means you can convert to any map projection UTM zone 11 or 12 or 10TM for example and yes it is fairly fancy math. Thankfully there are several free conversion packages available on the net.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:13 PM

What a nightmare.

I'm going to email the map author to see what they say...and maybe buy a better map.

Why would they advertise it for use with a GPS all over the cover?

What a joke...
Old 10-18-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
What a nightmare.

I'm going to email the map author to see what they say...and maybe buy a better map.

Why would they advertise it for use with a GPS all over the cover?

What a joke...
If you want to carry a map book with you, take a look at the Backroad Mapbooks. they are out of BC and can be purchased , Can Tire/W S Sports/and many more stores.$25.00 +- ???

Bruce.