Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 PM

Default will the lee challenger press reload the bigger 300 calibres?

Hi, me and my brothers were looking into getting into reloading. For the amount of rounds we will be reloading we all decided on the lee challenger breech lock press. The only question I have about the press is that some people are telling me the press wont be big enough to reload the bigger cartridges we need (we shoot a .300 win mag, .300 wby and a .300 rum). Has anyone used the press to reload these bigger calibres, and if so how did it turn out? Thanks in advance,
Brennen
Old 01-26-2009, 08:16 PM

Haven't used one with a RUM case, but I've used them with 300 mag and 300WTBY, no sweat.
They are likely the most entry level press you can buy, so I would look at getting a better press in the future, and keep all the accessories....

Cat
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM

biggest cases i have loaded r the 300 rum and 7rum ... i my new repaired challeger presss i dont see why the classic wouldnt do it ..never had an issue with it untill i forgot one without lube .... i kinda do that alot ..
Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM

I use an old Challenger press for only one of two things - with a universal decapping die (slick, no case reworking so it's fast) or with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. The .300 Win Mag fits okay, but not a ton of room there. For reloading a Classic might be a better choice - about $90, but a buddy and I agree that it's every bit as good as his RCBS Rockchucker. Big and powerful, nice and smooth. It can be had in their new quick change setup as well, though for load workups and for several different calibers and rifles it's not really needed and no faster. Seems that 90% of the time is spent on case prep anyway - there and being picky with seating depths and charge weights is where the difference is seen. The Challenger will work fine, but money says you'll upgrade in no time. Have fun! Welcome to the bottomless pit of handloading.....
Old 01-27-2009, 12:29 PM

X2.
I use one every now and then when my other presses are tied up and both me and the kid are loading , that's when it's nice to decap with it and toss brass into the tumbler.
I have alos used it for seating , and with a Lyman Mdie, but not often.
Most times I use the Dillons or Rockchuckers for that.
Cat
Old 01-31-2009, 07:42 PM

thanks for the replies, we ended up going with a rcbs rock chucker press from pintail, cant wait to start experimenting...
Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
thanks for the replies, we ended up going with a rcbs rock chucker press from pintail, cant wait to start experimenting...
You will enjoy the Rockchucker,it feels more solid compared to the Challenger which feels like it is flexing when you size the larger cases.