Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
After sorting out the residency issues, maybe ESRD can look into waterfowl outfitters paying off landowners for exclusive access, I've heard it's gone as far as subsidizing crop inputs to insure certain crops are being planted.
Next to impossible to prove but is happening in many areas of the province.
Now that is funny right there!!!! lol Ya I am sure all those outfitters make so much money they want to work for free paying farmers off now with Subsidizing crops. I have never met a farmer yet that wants to take advise from anybody about what he plants for crops. lol Still laughing
Old 10-03-2014, 06:44 PM

What are we hunters or game keepers?

My suggestion is we spend our time actually hunting and enjoying ourselves versus worrying about what the other guy is doing.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned

I agree there is nothing wrong with looking after our recourse and we as outdoorsman have the obligation to help but to make it look like its a wide spread issue that is the cause of our wild game demise is false. The amount this is actually taking place is minimal at best. I think people feel it necessary to put blame on others for their own short comings..
Old 10-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfisher View Post
I agree there is nothing wrong with looking after our recourse and we as outdoorsman have the obligation to help but to make it look like its a wide spread issue that is the cause of our wild game demise is false. The amount this is actually taking place is minimal at best. I think people feel it necessary to put blame on others for their own short comings..
Just a guess.

There was about 120,000 resident hunters in 2013. Just from what I have listened to working on the road and from reading this thread I would say at least 1% are double dipping. That's 1200 people.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Just a guess.

There was about 120,000 resident hunters in 2013. Just from what I have listened to working on the road and from reading this thread I would say at least 1% are double dipping. That's 1200 people.
And potentially 1200 moose, elk or mule deer = 3600 potential animals.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
And potentially 1200 moose, elk or mule deer = 3600 potential animals.
Well I guess you could look at it that way. except they don't even hand out 1200 moose draws in a year lol.

I look at it like out of a potential 1200 half are road/camp hunters that seldom see anything more than the heel of a bottle, so that's potentially 600 hunters, of which 20 may get a chance at a moose, 200 a chance at a quality deer, and 20 maybe get a chance at an elk.. And actual kills out of these probably 30%. I would think those numbers would be more accurate.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:31 PM

Enough with bickering....lets keep this thread fresh with new idea about how we can help improve this provinces resident opportunities and evict the cheaters. I encourage people to keep track of the number of out of province plates they see in their travels.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Enough with bickering....lets keep this thread fresh with new idea about how we can help improve this provinces resident opportunities and evict the cheaters. I encourage people to keep track of the number of out of province plates they see in their travels.
Not sure what you hope to accomplish by "tracking" out of province plates? eg....when my brother (who I host every year) and I are out on the road or parked in motel lot and you "track" his BC plate, what have you accomplished other then your xenophobia?
Think your time might be better used in simply enjoying the hunt that you are engaged in and not worrying about other people trying to do the same.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:47 AM

The only way to do this would be to link all provinces. When you go to buy a hunting licence a red flag would come up if a person has a licence in another province. Don't know how it could be accomplished considering drivers licences aren't even linked between provinces.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:39 AM

How about you have to prove you've been a resident of Alberta for 6 months then you have to take something like a CORE course like BC before you can get your win card? That way the onus is on them to prove residency. That way there shouldn't be any privacy issues.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Not sure what you hope to accomplish by "tracking" out of province plates? eg....when my brother (who I host every year) and I are out on the road or parked in motel lot and you "track" his BC plate, what have you accomplished other then your xenophobia?
Think your time might be better used in simply enjoying the hunt that you are engaged in and not worrying about other people trying to do the same.
If you don't believe we have a problem you are naive, ignorant, or benefiting in some way by our lax rules.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
How about you have to prove you've been a resident of Alberta for 6 months then you have to take something like a CORE course like BC before you can get your win card? That way the onus is on them to prove residency. That way there shouldn't be any privacy issues.
Correct you should have to prove residency and not just with a pay stub. I don't know about the course idea but maybe. The problem may never go away but it needs to be tougher than it is now.

L.S.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I know you can hunter host nonres aliens every 3 years .. Can you host a non res every year ?
Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I know you can hunter host nonres aliens every 3 years .. Can you host a non res every year ?
Yes. Which is a problem
Old 10-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you don't believe we have a problem you are naive, ignorant, or benefiting in some way by our lax rules.
Sorry Drake, but it's you who are showing your naivety and ignorance. My question was what will it help to "track" out of province plates. I would love to be there when you bring a list of OOP plates to a C.O. that you collected and ask him to "check" them out.
Yes there might be a problem with some people from out of province who somehow are able to skirt recidency laws and hunt here when they shouldn't but I think the problem is not as bad as some make out. Would love to see real stats on the subject.

actually I'm surprised a lot of the people complaining are not also crying about all the out of province people comming to Alberta to work. I mean they wern't born here or have lived here for long, so what gives them the right to work here? I am one Albertan who doesen't hate everyone that isn't an albertan. Unless your from Toronto of course. lol And i'm not so sure about some of them from Quebec, and Calgary either LOLx2

Last edited by waterninja; 10-04-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Yes you can host a non-resident every year. Just like an Albertan can go salmon fishing every year in BC if they like. Just costs more money.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol,, good luck doing this especially around any of the bigger centers along the Ab/Sask border. People have so much family living on both sides of the border going back and forth and hanging out with each other man.. The CO's would probly run and hide if they saw you coming in after about the 2nd time lol..

I can see it now,, " Hey John,, hurry close the blinds,, its that cooke coming in again with a list of 100 license plates he wants us to track down,, hurry shut off the lights,, this guy is nuts !! "
Old 10-04-2014, 10:22 PM

What is the penalty of double dipping anyway? They should make you be a resident for so long before you can apply as a resident. Then raise the fees a ton for hunting as a resident if you don't file your taxes as a resident here. Somewhere above the cost it would be to hire a guide.