Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Banned

To avoid being subjected to "officer discretion": if you killed the animal the night before leave your tags in camp when retrieving it the next morning. If you killed it the same morning then leave your tags at camp when you get your ATV to retrieve it. If you are really spooky leave a note in camp that you are retrieving game with time and signature.

If stopped and asked "how is hunting" etc., simply reply you are not hunting, but are retrieving game and you have a firearm for your protection. You should have your certificate with you but no tags.

Put me down for $20 too.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfisher View Post
Simple mistake made in typing out my response..

See this is exactly the thing I am talking about right here..
What, somebody pointing out that you made an error! Lighten up fella! This is a forum, if you don't like comments then exclude yourself! I for one come here for knowledge! I have met some great people on these forums and have learned a lot over the years from guys on these boards!

So what you really are saying is that you, the landowner, don't want people around so that you are not subject to scrutiny? If you are seen committing illegal stuff? I'm not understanding the point you think you are making!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 09-27-2014, 07:39 PM

All I can say, is WOW,
Please have the CO's on this site correct these uniformed hunters.
Read the regs PEOPLE.
I HAVE MY KIDS OUT THERE AND EXPECT OTHER HUNTERS TO FOLLOW THE RULES,THIS KEEPS MY KIDS SAFE.
BAZ
Old 09-27-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
What, somebody pointing out that you made an error! Lighten up fella! This is a forum, if you don't like comments then exclude yourself! I for one come here for knowledge! I have met some great people on these forums and have learned a lot over the years from guys on these boards!

So what you really are saying is that you, the landowner, don't want people around so that you are not subject to scrutiny? If you are seen committing illegal stuff? I'm not understanding the point you think you are making!

I would also like to add that I have the outmost respect for farmers ( landowner ) I'm not sure I could do what they do! True hard working men and women!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 09-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post

It's not so much as anybody is doing anything wrong it's just the fact nobody likes eyes all over the place. There is a reason most of us live out and away from people,, we choose to live away from crowds and the BS that comes with it. I don't really care what the neighbour is up to nor does he care what I am up to. If we see strangers in the neighbours fields or he see people in mine it raises issues. Who are they, do they have permission what's going on.. It's just a big hassle that no one cares to deal with. It's just easier to so no to every one and not have the hassle. It's just the way most of us live. You mind your business and I'll mind mine type of thing. Same as this discussion and so many on here,, everybody just seems so concerned with what the next guy is doing. People hunt around crowds and then come on here and complain about what the other guy in the crowd was doing,, that's has to be the definition of insanity it really does.

People,, get out there, get away from the crowds and have some fun, and it's nice to do it without having to worry about every little thing you do because there is some jackazz with a set of eyes watching you and ready to run and report you to the teacher cause your not playing nice lol..

But what ever each to his own..
Old 09-28-2014, 05:15 PM

In WMUs 102 – 166, 200 – 260, 300 – 351, 354 – 360 400 446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841, it is unlawful to carry a weapon on an off-highway vehicle between one hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game (see current Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations). However, this prohibition does not apply to persons hunting on privately owned lands, and it does not apply to those trapping under the authority of a Registered Fur Management Licence or a Resident Fur Management Licence
Whoohoo.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:54 PM

Ban the completely from hunting and limit the access to gravel pits, then we wont need to walk 15 km to find an elk or moose

My uncle hunts elk in bc with no quad access and there 90% successful. If you cant pack it out by hand you dont deserve to shoot it
Old 09-28-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
If you cant pack it out by hand you dont deserve to shoot it
My 76 year old grandfather doesn't deserve to eat wild game because he isn't able to pack it out anymore?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
My 76 year old grandfather doesn't deserve to eat wild game because he isn't able to pack it out anymore?
I think your 70y old grandfather might want to head back into camp for some young help, and sandwich/beer....and probably won't head back to the kill until after or around12:00 noon. I know mine would.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:40 PM

Only read half the replys but I do and do not agree with the rule. Some people like to spot and Stalk other like to walk. Then there is road hunting. This law doesn't effect road hunters. It does effect spot and stalkers. And also walker a bit. I personally want my stand or walk to start far from the road and how do u propose that happens unless I can take my gun on an atv before noon to get to where I want to start my hike? I believe the rule is stupid how it is. Maybe they can rework it somehow that allows for travel between two places with a gun but not hunting from with a gun
Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker0205 View Post
Only read half the replys but I do and do not agree with the rule. Some people like to spot and Stalk other like to walk. Then there is road hunting. This law doesn't effect road hunters. It does effect spot and stalkers. And also walker a bit. I personally want my stand or walk to start far from the road and how do u propose that happens unless I can take my gun on an atv before noon to get to where I want to start my hike? I believe the rule is stupid how it is. Maybe they can rework it somehow that allows for travel between two places with a gun but not hunting from with a gun
Simply begin your trip to your starting point, so that you arrive and are off of the atv an hour before sunrise, and don't get on the atv again,until after noon, and you are perfectly legal.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Banned

This thread was started just to look at reasons why some areas allow it and some don't. Went into quad vs no quad in a hurry. To bad.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
All I can say, is WOW,
Please have the CO's on this site correct these uniformed hunters.
Read the regs PEOPLE.
I HAVE MY KIDS OUT THERE AND EXPECT OTHER HUNTERS TO FOLLOW THE RULES,THIS KEEPS MY KIDS SAFE.
BAZ
Wow is right, where does it say anything about "hunting" in the regulation. It states "carry a weapon".
The way I read it all the CO has to do is prove you are carrying a weapon in the morning, he doesn't have to prove you are hunting. It don't matter if it is for bear protection, target shooting or taking your gun for a drive. Perhaps this should be posted to the ask Fish and Wildlife thread and the truth found out.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:42 PM

However, this prohibition does not apply to persons hunting on privately owned lands, and it does not apply to those trapping under the authority of a Registered Fur Management Licence or a Resident Fur Management Licence. So yes you can carry a gun on your atv. On your own land or anywhere you trap.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 AM

Yeah I thought it was pretty cut and dry. Can't CARRY firearm on OHV before noon period. Also I don't know if it's uniformed vs. people who don't like it so they change how they interpret it to make it work for them, similar to stealing is wrong but i don't want to pay for that music.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by southunter View Post
Wow is right, where does it say anything about "hunting" in the regulation. It states "carry a weapon".
The way I read it all the CO has to do is prove you are carrying a weapon in the morning, he doesn't have to prove you are hunting. It don't matter if it is for bear protection, target shooting or taking your gun for a drive. Perhaps this should be posted to the ask Fish and Wildlife thread and the truth found out.
....sooo just what does the regulation have to do with? What is it's intent?The
wildlife act takes precedence over all other rights? Just for the hunting season?
If it's in the act under regulations governing hunting is that a hint?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Thinking of mounting a small tripod to the front rack of my quad and being a right hand shooter, I'm also thinking of rigging the throttle over to the left handle bar.(never to be used before noon of course.)

I wouldn't mind elderly or people with certain handicaps to use them to hunt before noon. (Like Redfrog)
I think certain disabilities can get permission to use the quad before noon.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
In WMUs 102 – 166, 200 – 260, 300 – 351, 354 – 360 400 446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841, it is unlawful to carry a weapon on an off-highway vehicle between one hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game (see current Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations). However, this prohibition does not apply to persons hunting on privately owned lands, and it does not apply to those trapping under the authority of a Registered Fur Management Licence or a Resident Fur Management Licence
Whoohoo.
Mr. Coyote is right.

Poeple tend to look at this reg in the context of hunting or not hunting.

It doesnt matter what your doing out there on your quad in a WMU with an open big game season in in a FLUZ.
-taking pictures
-retrieving game
-only hunting birds
-joy riding with personal protection
-smelling the bogs.
-etc

You cannot have a weapon (as defined and during the specified times) transported on your quad.
The reg applies to OHVs and has the exemptions noted above and while travelling to a site on roads used by highway vehichles .

But,

It would be nice to see some kind of reg to have personal protection in cases of retrival during this time.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Id be in favor of that.......encourage guys to only use their machines for travel.

Never heard of a guy killing a big bull elk from the seat of his quad...but I see numerous guys each season that try and in turn put a bunch of extra pressure on good area and make it harder for the guys in the bush actually hunting.
X2... IMO they should only be for travel and or retrieval.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 PM

Was looking at the regs on this earlier today planning a day trip where I want to use my quad to get myself in to where I want to start walking. Looks like I will be leaving the house at 230 drive and hour unloaded and ready to go by 3-330 quad in and arrive by 430 to be at location at least 1 hr before shooting time ( dont want to cut it close and gave myself lots of time ! Also added pot of coffee to the list !
Old 09-30-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc21 View Post
Was looking at the regs on this earlier today planning a day trip where I want to use my quad to get myself in to where I want to start walking. Looks like I will be leaving the house at 230 drive and hour unloaded and ready to go by 3-330 quad in and arrive by 430 to be at location at least 1 hr before shooting time ( dont want to cut it close and gave myself lots of time ! Also added pot of coffee to the list !
Shooting time is 05:30 where you are hunting?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:36 PM

Like I said dont want to cut it close and I am not going to be hunting the miniute I get off the quad, park get ready drink coffee and walk another hour
Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc21 View Post
Shooting time is 05:30 where you are hunting? Strange, shooting time is 07:00 here.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunt View Post
I think certain disabilities can get permission to use the quad before noon.
It's true.

But with all the outstanding land owners and an abundance of game on their crops, why hunt public land?
I havent registered my quad since 2009.
It's not worth all the headache.

Sorry guys, I know in the past that I might have drove in on someone's set up.
It wasnt intentional.
I can't remember the last time I hunted crown land.
Probably in the late 90's.

If you can walk, then you should.
I've been told it's a rather neat experience

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbart View Post
Mr. Coyote is right.

Poeple tend to look at this reg in the context of hunting or not hunting.

It doesnt matter what your doing out there on your quad in a WMU with an open big game season in in a FLUZ.
-taking pictures
-retrieving game
-only hunting birds
-joy riding with personal protection
-smelling the bogs.
-etc

You cannot have a weapon (as defined and during the specified times) transported on your quad.
The reg applies to OHVs and has the exemptions noted above and while travelling to a site on roads used by highway vehichles .

But,

It would be nice to see some kind of reg to have personal protection in cases of retrival during this time.
GBART - you just single hand idly shot down the Charter! Now what will we do?