Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2014, 08:38 PM

A friend had told me about the attacks just before school started. Of course I laughed at such an event occurring (I had a serious hate-on for the States as a teen. I grew to realize that was the US administration that deserves scorn and have since married an American gal). When it became apparent it was not a joke I was near shocked and in the most interesting social studies class I would ever take.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay T View Post
I ....
walked into the canteen just in time to see the second plane hit the towers.

9 months later I was in the desert at an undisclosed location supporting air operations over the Gulf. 5 years after that I found myself again in the desert, this time on the ground in Afghanistan.

Alot of good men and women died that day. alot of my friends have died since, because of this day.

**** you Taliban! I hope you all rot in hell!!!
Since you were over there fighting the good fight, I'd have thought you wouldn't misattribute the misdeeds of one terrorist outfit to another.

The Taliban you fought were governing Afghanistan in their own peculiar totalitarian style. They were terrorising their own people and had nothing to do with the Twin Towers going down.

The towers were brought down by Saudi Arabian nationals (who the US allowed to go home four or five days after 911) who were members of a fundamentalist multinational outfit called Al Qaida (sp?). Osama bin Laden, a Saudi exile, ran Al Qaida until the Americans killed him in his Pakistan hideout, right next door to one of Pakistan's biggest military bases...

I'm not so sure we've even taken on the real 911 culprits.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Since you were over there fighting the good fight, I'd have thought you wouldn't misattribute the misdeeds of one terrorist outfit to another.

The Taliban you fought were governing Afghanistan in their own peculiar totalitarian style. They were terrorising their own people and had nothing to do with the Twin Towers going down.

The towers were brought down by Saudi Arabian nationals (who the US allowed to go home four or five days after 911) who were members of a fundamentalist multinational outfit called Al Qaida (sp?). Osama bin Laden, a Saudi exile, ran Al Qaida until the Americans killed him in his Pakistan hideout, right next door to one of Pakistan's biggest military bases...

I'm not so sure we've even taken on the real 911 culprits.
You raise a great point and I would tend to agree you with, but I'm curious as to why you would use as "we"? Should it not be a "they" statement? Correct me if I'm wrong but Canada has little to no role to play in US soverenety nor for US retribution in the hunt for there attackers.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:46 PM

I see what you're saying. The whole Middle East intervention scene is quite confusing and western govts have for centuries come up with some 'compelling' or 'moral' or 'religious' reasons to meddle in other people's bizness.

Of course, the presence of oil, oil pipelines, refineries, tanker loading facilities and ready access to the world's shipping lanes have nothing to do with these interventions.

The US has been actively kicking azz over there since the 50s, when they overthrew the King of Iran and set up Shah Palavi with his secret police and political prisons.

In the early 90s, our airforce got in on the action to repel the Iraqi army from Kuwait (1st Iraq war, lasted 100 days).

Iirc our Navy provided support in the Persian Gulf during the 2nd Iraq war (the war that ousted Saddam Hussein's Baathist govt.. Saddam was George Bush's old buddy pre the Kuwait invasion, when Saddam played to America's tune and fought Iran in what turned into an 8 or 10 year war of attrition).
The WMDs that were given by the UK and US as the pretext for that invasion & overthrow & occupation & seizure of oil wells were never found and the pretext was determined to be a western fabrication.

The US, other European nations and ourselves got involved in Afghanistan for what....10 years? I can't quite remember why we did so...something to do with building schools for girls or something wholesome like that. That place never really got 'better' as the Afghans have their own ideas about what kind of society (or societies) they want and that doesn't involve educating girls or letting them wear cut-off jeans with mid-drift tops.

Anyhow, this has gone on so long that the West's actions have bred a whole new generation -prolly tens of thousands- of new jihadists. Reportedly, we have disaffected new Canadians -residents of Calgary even- that go over there to join whatever jihadist outfit is the flavour of the month.

This can't end well.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:13 PM

I was in grade three, and I can remember watching the tv before I left for school. At that age, I could not even grasp the severity of what had happened, and the repercussions that would be felt to this day.

Like others have said, it is amazing that such a huge event can leave such a lasting memory as to what you were doing at that very instant.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Banned

I was in Elk Camp for 13 days starting on the 10th and had no idea any of this happened until I got back to civilization 2 weeks later. Its quite a story to hear all in one shot.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
I see what you're saying. The whole Middle East intervention scene is quite confusing and western govts have for centuries come up with some 'compelling' or 'moral' or 'religious' reasons to meddle in other people's bizness"...."This can't end well.."
And on that note,this kind of stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrpLp-X0ws&app=desktop