Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Default Bull River

Never fished it but rode my motorbike from the top down to the highway yesterday and it sure looked beautiful. Anybody fish it? Was wondering what fishers enjoyed more, above or below the dam. I would like to put my raft in and float it too at some point but plan on trying it out in the next couple of weeks. Thinking around the 15 of Sept for 4 or 5 days. The fall is my favorite time of year to fly fish, little pressure and those fish get easier to please.
Any experience on the Bull in the fall.
I did use the search before posting this but got all hits on Bullies....

* The water below the dam looked quite tame but above the dam is there any concerns for the fall?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Never fished it either but be carful anytime below a dam. You never know what may happen during the day. It may be knee deep a 10 am but come 5 PM it may be a white water river. I personally dont fish below big dams anymore got stranded to many times as a younger fella.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:33 PM

If your talkin' Bull River BC....Do it!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:59 PM

It can be pretty good at times above or below. I believe that requires a special license now though.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 PM

Default feel like some posting pics

First pic is above the Dam closer to its origin. Very nice looking water and watched a couple small risers that you could see coming up for the last 6-7feet.
They were 8-10 inch but very enjoyable all the same. Downstream of there the river picks its pace up quickly as the elevation drops fast in short order. A guy in a raft would have to be on the oars at all times and you would bounce off a few big rocks but it would be fun. The day would be well spent.
2nd pic is from the Kootney trout hatchery and that trout is big but it sure aint pretty to me. Obese trout with a pellet problem.
3rd is a picture of my raft, maybe we have crossed paths on the water, I really enjoy it and use it quite often. My gal, my son and I went down the Elk.
Last pic is of my gal who has some great skills fly fishing for sure and is avid hunter. Lucky to have her!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070163r.jpg (90.3 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg P1070181r.jpg (100.1 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg P1060723r.jpg (122.6 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg P1060762r.jpg (86.4 KB, 243 views)
Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
If your talkin' Bull River BC....Do it!
Agreed i just got back from a trunk road wrap around tonight started south ab and wrapped up all around the bc south/north and back to ab and down again in 5 days and o'boy was it a BLAST.... Avoid the elk river its awsome fishing but horrible shoulder to shoulder action.
Bull river was fishing amazing and not a soul on the river cutties where taking anything and bulls where sitting up against the logs in 5 feet of artic cold water attached is a pic of a nice cutt 18inch with monster jaw attacks from the weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0617.jpg (59.4 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0619.jpg (63.0 KB, 190 views)
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 PM

I have canoed only a short section above the dam. Pretty wild trip. Had experienced paddlers along or would have ended up swimming. Gets really tight in some places and some really wild rock gardens. There were a couple of spots where a raft might have trouble getting through. There used to be a canoe club in Cranbrook or Kimberly. Ask around there for info or talk to the fellows in the sport shop in Cranbrook as they may be able to tell you who to contact for more info about the river. The river drops really fast. Don't go by yourself. It's a hell of a walk out if there is no road traffic. It's tight enough that you want to pack TWO sets of oars. I saw a book once that had a detailed discription of the river for paddlers.
Good luck
Bjay
Old 09-07-2014, 12:11 AM

Default Bull River camping

Where can I camp,with trailer along this river and still be close to fernie
Thanks in advance
T
Old 09-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyflyfish View Post
Where can I camp,with trailer along this river and still be close to fernie
Thanks in advance
T
If you head back in behind Tie Lake or Rosen lake, they have some logging roads back in there. Or you can take the Hartley Lake Road. I haven't been on either in a couple years but both take you to the Bull and I remember seeing a few random camping spots. I do believe you require a classified waters license for this river.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:50 PM

Default Camping

Found a great spot 34 km up,the BR FSR.
Thanks again