Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 12:17 AM

Angry Spruce grove gun club

Hey I'm a member out at the spruce grove gun club. This is my first year of being a member and I have to say not to impressed so far. Yes I know it's not there fault there shut down right now but I've emailing them and tried getting ahold of them but no answer on what's going on. If anyone could let me know on what's going on would greatly appreciated. One last thing do think it's out of line to when I finally talk to someone to ask them for a discount on next years membership or something.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM

A quick google search yielded this:

http://www.sggc.ca/news/view/range_closure_update
Old 09-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubber View Post
One last thing do think it's out of line to when I finally talk to someone to ask them for a discount on next years membership or something.
It's not likely realistic to get a discount for next year. The SGGC is not-for-profit. The membership fees go to cover the basic expenses of the range which won't change much whether it's been open or closed. The recent closure is unfortunate but was completely out of the hands of the range.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Ya I hear. Just wish I could get sum type of answer on when they would re open
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Agreed. A few things have to happen that are probably out of their control, hence the lack of info. Can't wait to get out shooting again.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I suppose that the executive can only deal with the paper work, legalities with the CFO etc. But it's up to the membership to volunteer their time to make things right to satisfy the requirements. If you think that paying your dues simply entitles you without an effort, then you are sorely mistaken. If the executive promises to make the required changes and the membership does not show up to do the work, I'm thinking your range is doomed for closure. It isn't like 12 people on the executive do all of the work on their own so that another 1000 members can enjoy their $200.00 fee and show up whenever they like and all is good to go. It takes work to keep these ranges going, and you should do your part instead of looking for a refund or discount, this ain't Walmart you know.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I suppose that the executive can only deal with the paper work, legalities with the CFO etc. But it's up to the membership to volunteer their time to make things right to satisfy the requirements. If you think that paying your dues simply entitles you without an effort, then you are sorely mistaken. If the executive promises to make the required changes and the membership does not show up to do the work, I'm thinking your range is doomed for closure. It isn't like 12 people on the executive do all of the work on their own so that another 1000 members can enjoy their $200.00 fee and show up whenever they like and all is good to go. It takes work to keep these ranges going, and you should do your part instead of looking for a refund or discount, this ain't Walmart you know.
I get what you are saying but I find it a bit rash. Is the OP supposed to just show up with a shovel and a rake and make berms?

The executive hold some responsibility to inform and if required request volunteers for work parties.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you and believe the range requires all hands to make it run.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 PM

From what I know the range should be opening sometime later this month, please don't be angry with the folks for not returning calls or emails. Everyone is involved right now with getting the range back up and running, there were a list of demands that the club has been working through from the county and the folks living close. There will be some new times that we are going to have to observe for range operation, but by months end it should be back up and running.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I second this. Ranges are a ton of work and too many people want to pay for a yearly membership and think its like a business and it should cater to them. They are volunteer driven non profit organizations and you should be blessed to be part of that membership, not angry as it is not to your approval. I am certain if you did not join next year they would have no problem filling your spot.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
One last thing do think it's out of line to when I finally talk to someone to ask them for a discount on next years membership or something.
It would make more sense to ask the county for reimbursement for time lost. After all they were the ones who forced it to shut down.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 PM

Just got an email. The SGGC is re-opening on Saturday Sep 6. Hours: 10am-5pm
Old 09-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It would make more sense to ask the county for reimbursement for time lost. After all they were the ones who forced it to shut down.
Doubt that. Look to the neighbors north of the range. They were the ones that appealed the SGGR permit.

ruger300
Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 PM

Considering all the free range time the Sherrif, POLICE, BRINKS etc get, have any of these groups stepped up to VOLUNTEER in any way.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Considering all the free range time the Sherrif, POLICE, BRINKS etc get, have any of these groups stepped up to VOLUNTEER in any way.
If what you have put forth it is a valid question?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I was under the impression that these groups paid for access. Are you sure they get their range time for free at SGGC?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Where are you getting your information? We certainly don't allow them any free time on our range, and I can't see why any other range would let them use their facilities for free.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:07 AM

I was told this by the club officials when I asked what they paid , and I suggested they should be paying the "lions share" as they were doing the "lions share" of the shooting and they are a paid to shoot group that their company, be it a security company or the province should be paying for the facility use .

It was explained to me "It is good to have them here" they are allies if there is ever a problem.
I didn't renew my membership the next year.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I was told this by the club officials when I asked what they paid , and I suggested they should be paying the "lions share" as they were doing the "lions share" of the shooting and they are a paid to shoot group that their company, be it a security company or the province should be paying for the facility use .

It was explained to me "It is good to have them here" they are allies if there is ever a problem.
If that is true, and I was a member, I would certainly be bringing it up at the next club meeting.

At our club, even the members of the executive, pay the full membership rate to use the facility.The executive is charged with operating the range in a manner that represents the best interests of the membership, and letting certain groups use the facility for free, certainly isn't in the best interest of the membership. In the past, we have had individuals from certain groups thinking that they should have special privileges concerning our range, but it was made very clear to them, that we own the range, and they will obey our rules, or they will lose all access to the range.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:52 AM

SPFGA also charges LE for use ..in 2014... will bring in about $20,000.00. LE bookings are set up on a single Range which leave as similar use range open to members at all times, so no conflict. LE groups must have a formal signed agreement (annually) with the club, which outlines their privledges. The club also eastablishes a "cap" for the number of LE user groups and not all facilitated. No private security (Brinks etc) or Sheriffs have agreements.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 AM

We also have an agreement with the sheriffs and F&W, as well as with the RCMP. They must prebook, their times, and we only allow them to book during the lower demand times, no weekends or evenings.