Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 08:50 AM

Default Rossi Ranch Hand 44 Mag

Good Morning,

I just ordered a Rossi Ranch Hand 44 mag as a side arm for bow hunting. I have never owned the caliber before so i am not familiar with it at all.

Is there a brand or type of bullet that is recommended with the most stopping power? I do not reload.

Thank you
Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 AM

First things first....you will probably have to change the front and rear sights to be on paper at 0-50 yards.

Mine shot literally 2 feet high at under 50 yards until I replaced the sights, they may have address the issue....but be prepared.

LC
Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Thanks, i have heard about the issue. Did you use a gunsmith to do the work?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako300 View Post
Thanks, i have heard about the issue. Did you use a gunsmith to do the work?
No I ordered the sights from Steves Guns in the USA and put them on myself.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=Rossi+mods

LC
Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 AM

I'd strongly advise you practice shooting a box or two before taking it with you in the field. It's a peculiar gun, with a peculiar handling and a peculiar recoil.

I'll suggest to put some skateboard grip around the handle as this gun can be very slippery when wet or if you wear gloves.

Check your screws regularly as they have a tendency to get loose.

Regarding ammo, good factory JHP will do the trick.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM

Thanks and yes i do intend on taking it shooting beofre i take it out. I always have bear spray with me but this just looked like a good option as well for its size.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 PM

240 gr hp...
Old 08-28-2014, 06:56 PM

I was able to Dremel the rear site low enough to make it work.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 PM

IF you place the front sight low in the rear sight as was intended, the Rossi shots very nice groups to pint of aim. Just from my personal experience and several of my friends who could not resist the opportunity to try a few rounds. Use the proper sight picture.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william4willow View Post
IF you place the front sight low in the rear sight as was intended, the Rossi shots very nice groups to pint of aim. Just from my personal experience and several of my friends who could not resist the opportunity to try a few rounds. Use the proper sight picture.
They must have changed it on later models....mine would not shoot to point of aim without new sights...I even removed the ramp completely.

LC
Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 PM

I removed the ramp completely and I hit my 8 inch gong at 30 yards doing the front sight lower than the rear sight window. Works good but i may Dremel that out, I didn't think of that.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 AM

Mine hits just fine at 10 feet and that's as far as I ever plan on shooting with it anyways.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Mine has a problem Cycling rounds. After a shot, you literally have to change how you are holding it and reef on the loop to eject the spent case. Too bad I cant seem to find a holster for the bugger.
It shoots a ten inch group dead on at 50 yrds. Leaving the sights as is.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
Mine has a problem Cycling rounds. After a shot, you literally have to change how you are holding it and reef on the loop to eject the spent case. Too bad I cant seem to find a holster for the bugger.
It shoots a ten inch group dead on at 50 yrds. Leaving the sights as is.
There is a member here (Coho911) or something like that, who makes beautiful ones from the pics that I've seen posted. Several AO members have purchased from him and all appear to be extremely happy with his product. Perhaps they can chime in and help you locate him.

Lefty, didn't you get one from him?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
There is a member here (Coho911) or something like that, who makes beautiful ones from the pics that I've seen posted. Several AO members have purchased from him and all appear to be extremely happy with his product. Perhaps they can chime in and help you locate him.

Lefty, didn't you get one from him?
Yes I actually got the first one he sold. I think he is super busy with his main job though. Not sure he does them anymore?

LC
Old 08-29-2014, 12:31 PM

I found mine shot about 6" high at 30yrds, its a 44 MAG as well, other than that its been great, I've got about 150 rounds through it. I replaced the sights with some from Steves Gunz and its good now. I got a drop holster and belt with ammo loops from Wainstalls for mine, they get them made to your height/size, they have a few choices for colors and other options as well. It was about $250 for the holster and belt shipped to my door, it seems well made other than the buckle on the belt looks a bit cheap, but it could be changed easily.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Banned

I've always tried to wrap my head around as to the actual function of these guns. From what I've read, most want them for bear or cougar protection when out fishing. I'm thinking a .44 mag might serve me well if some crazed dude on meth wants my wallet or something. Then again, my puny 9mm CZ75 can drop a full clip in no time flat in the right place and do a similar job. But a peed off chargin bear or cougar? well that may just be a different story altogether. And then I read a few posts back and find out that: they hit fine @ 10 yards, there are problems cycling rounds, you have to reef on the loop to eject shells, they group 10" @ 50 yards, and they shoot 6" high @ 30 yards. All of this has me thinking that I'd be better off with a pair of boots with good gripping soles so's I don't slip in my own poop when I'm running for my life. I've had folks bring some to me to fit a full lenght stock to them. I can't help to think to myself.....well duh! Why not buy a guide gun in 45/70 and have some real firepower in the first place. Just my thoughts, I'm open to being educated here....
Old 08-29-2014, 07:37 PM

I will be using mine for a back up while bow hunting as well, for me I have carried a 12 ga, I have a guide gun but they are bulky. The option to be able to carry a 4.5lb 44mag on my hip instead of a 7lb rifle or shot gun on my back was a better more convenient option for me. Definitely not as much fire power as a 45/70 but a 240 grain hp at close range does a lot of damage, mine has performed flawlessly or I would not consider it for a defence gun. Just personal preference I guess, plus its a cool little gun and really fun to shoot, again just my opinion.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I've always tried to wrap my head around as to the actual function of these guns. From what I've read, most want them for bear or cougar protection when out fishing. I'm thinking a .44 mag might serve me well if some crazed dude on meth wants my wallet or something. Then again, my puny 9mm CZ75 can drop a full clip in no time flat in the right place and do a similar job. But a peed off chargin bear or cougar? well that may just be a different story altogether. And then I read a few posts back and find out that: they hit fine @ 10 yards, there are problems cycling rounds, you have to reef on the loop to eject shells, they group 10" @ 50 yards, and they shoot 6" high @ 30 yards. All of this has me thinking that I'd be better off with a pair of boots with good gripping soles so's I don't slip in my own poop when I'm running for my life. I've had folks bring some to me to fit a full lenght stock to them. I can't help to think to myself.....well duh! Why not buy a guide gun in 45/70 and have some real firepower in the first place. Just my thoughts, I'm open to being educated here....
Yup x2!!! i felt the same way. I found an unfinished full length buttstock, and inletted and refinished it and shot it a few times. Didnt do much for me when i have real firepower in the gun lockers. The large loop lever is gimicky and not practical either. Sold it last month...

Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300SM View Post
I will be using mine for a back up while bow hunting as well, for me I have carried a 12 ga, I have a guide gun but they are bulky. The option to be able to carry a 4.5lb 44mag on my hip instead of a 7lb rifle or shot gun on my back was a better more convenient option for me. Definitely not as much fire power as a 45/70 but a 240 grain hp at close range does a lot of damage, mine has performed flawlessly or I would not consider it for a defence gun. Just personal preference I guess, plus its a cool little gun and really fun to shoot, again just my opinion.
Ok, consider this. And this isn't meant as an argument, but just plain old campfire discussion. First of all, I used to bow hunt, in the bow zone around Calgary, but not anymore. Never came upon something that wanted to eat me. Perhaps, you hunt in a more "predatory" area. Having said that, is a difference of 2.5 lbs worth one's life? I mean when your legs are gone below the knees or it's gnawing on your skull, what then do you think of having to pack in 2.5lbs less or having a "cool" gun? Personally, I've had a few grizzly, black bear and cougar encounters while out hunting or riding the range. I've never been threatened by the animal, but gave them their space and moved on. In short, I really don't think that something like that is necessary. But first and foremost what I'm trying to say is that if the worse were in fact to happen, you'd be sadly mistaken if one of those things are gonna save your butt. Hey, I don't claim experience with this. But, I've come upon a close grizz encounter while hunting the Yukon. I was packing a .375 H&H loaded with 300 gr. TSX bullets. No matter how impressive that caliber of gun may be, I still felt like a zit and the hair stood back on my neck. One thing that you must keep in mind, is that when either a bear or cougar wants you for lunch, it ain't how heavy the lead you can throw at them. It's more like how fast and how accurately you can do it without having poopy pants. Them critters covers lots of ground.....fast.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
One thing that you must keep in mind, is that when either a bear or cougar wants you for lunch, it ain't how heavy the lead you can throw at them. It's more like how fast and how accurately you can do it without having poopy pants. Them critters covers lots of ground.....fast.
This is why I prefer carrying a shotgun... Almost no aim is needed at close range.

It's incredibly easy for me to miss a charging bear-sized target (a rectangle of 10x30) with the Ranch Hand at a distance of 15-20 yds when I try reflex hip shooting... And when you'll hear a growl you won't have time to fiddle with those stupid sights. I've put a rail under the barrel and added a laser attachment but it is almost useless in daylight and on black surfaces. Not to mention the distance a loose .44 mag can cover with all its lethality preserved.

The RH may be one of my coolest looking gear, but it is definitely the gun that challenges me the most to shoot properly. I've stopped carrying it when outdoors, as my proficiency with it is not acceptable at the moment. Too dangerous for me and others.

One of my buddy, on the contrary, is having the complete opposite feeling. He loves this gun, he can shoot it fast and good. Probably because he is a much bigger guy than I am, with ham-sized hands
Old 08-29-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
.... But a peed off chargin bear or cougar? well that may just be a different story altogether.
The 44mag works quite well on "peed off " cougars.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:16 PM

Default front sights

Can be ordered from Brownell's for about 1/2 what others charge after the markup.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 PM

Default here you go.........

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...-price-bracket